Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Of course, that was the only thing I hadn't tried yet.

Incendax

Augur
How do you use the Titan Hourglass?
The library instructions seem straightforward, but putting it on the ground and sleeping doesn't work, using it just drinks it, etc.
Journal mentions no options, so I tried to use it while Petrified but that didn't work either. :P

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Just finished it. I'm a little disappointed in the offensive capabilities of my casters. They got completely outclassed by my melee guys (and a sage) with high SPD and Deathblow.

Is the Necromancer any good?

Gunnar

Arbiter
The payoff for the Necromancer are some deadly high level spells but it takes a long time to get them and until you do, the Necromancer will be inferior to other casters. You can multiclass him to gather hit points and mana, but if you do that it pushes the high level spells even farther away, while if you stick to a single class to get there faster you will be stuck with low hit points. Not a good class, IMO.

Incendax

Augur
Just finished it. I'm a little disappointed in the offensive capabilities of my casters. They got completely outclassed by my melee guys (and a sage) with high SPD and Deathblow.

I’m discovering that Lethal Blow trivializes the game. Even without Lethal Blow, I spend more time having my spellcasters swinging weapons because it’s way faster and easier than selecting spells and waiting on the animations. I only seem to bring out the spells against bosses and enemies that also have lethal blow.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Astral Travel, if Cleve finally has fixed it.

Or use up a Djinn wish.

Apparently there is a third way, but it is probably just cruel FAKE NEWS.

You're not missing anything really. It is only good for getting your exploration % up.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron

I’m discovering that Lethal Blow trivializes the game. Even without Lethal Blow, I spend more time having my spellcasters swinging weapons because it’s way faster and easier than selecting spells and waiting on the animations. I only seem to bring out the spells against bosses and enemies that also have lethal blow.

Yep, over the course of my playthrough my priest cast the most spells, by far (buffs/debuffs and some healing). My other mage types were mostly swinging weapon or spamming Paralysis at a low power level, which works on almost every enemy. And the spell animation is really short. Some of the utility spells are great, Detect Secret, Locate Item, Featherfall, etc. But my sage was able to cast those and play music.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I never found Moravia on my first playthrough, so I'm going through it for the first time. It has all kinds of unique magic items like wizard armor pieces that increases Necromancy, a hat that buffs speed and archery, and Eldritch spellbooks, but I also found this:

"Stone Fists" - 6d8, found on Moravia VI. This is a magical hand to hand weapon that causes Poison on a hit and gives +40 to hit (the highest generic to hit bonus I've seen) and +75 vs mythical/evil creatures. +25 DEATH resistance. The best hand to hand weapon I think. This is also the only hand to hand weapon useable by the Jester I've seen, which matters because Jester is the only one who can land lethal blows on hand to hand other than the Assassin.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, it took me a while as well to figure out how to get to Moravia - that damn fifth orb in Samhain.

Where exactly do you see the stats of the items? After Super Identifying something I see only a text description of an item's use in the Journal.

Gunnar

Arbiter
If you click the little window that shows the items stats while you have Improved Identify cast, it will switch to a secondary window that shows additional bonuses for that item (if there are any).

There are other items here that are great - The Necrohelm gives highest AC bonus of any helm in the game and +10DEA resistance on top. The Necrostave is a staff weapon that does 6d6 damage, can be held in the offhand and has a chance to instantly kill on a hit - that is easily the best staff weapon in the game. The hat that gives +10 speed is probably better than the helms that only give AC. The loot here is amazing!

I understand there is another way into Moravia involving a key, does anyone know anything about that?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, you get the Moravia key in one of the beginnings. But it is really not worth it in my opinion, since you can access Moravia anyway and to use that key you also need the teleport activator from the Mandarin (to go to the Raven Wildes NE corner).

As to the item stats: When I click on an item, it shows only the first screen - not sure what little window you mean. I actually remember seeing those additional stats a long time ago, maybe in the early beta, but haven't seen them since.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Check it out, lower left panel:

2w0Sqw1.png

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, that's pretty obvious actually. I guess I didn't use Improve Identify on those items first.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Necro Gear:

These items are mostly found in Moravia, except the staff which you get from the Black Lich. They can all be used by the Necromancer, but aren't necessarily exclusive to them:

Necrostaff: DEA20, Drains life on a hit (main hand)

Necromantle: AC32, DEA10, Can attack with shield (offhand)
Necrostave: DEA25, 6d6 damage, chance to kill on a hit (offhand)

Necrohood: DEA10, Necromancy+10 (helm)
Necrohelm: AC26, DEA10 (helm)

Necroshroud: AC26, DEA10, Necromancy+10 (H-, V-, M-) (armor)

Necroskirt: DEA10, Necromancy+10 (pants)

You can also get a further DEA20 from the Amulet vs Death.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Do stats and skills above 100 give any benefit?

I'd like to know this too. I'm guessing that they do. The Axe spirit NPC has stats above 100, so you would think so, otherwise why set his stats that way. If they don't, they certainly should, otherwise stat and skill boosting equipment would be much less useful.

Cleve could tell us, but he seems to have isolated himself in his underground bunker while preparing Grimoires final update.

I just discovered Stone fists causes Flesh to Stone at power 6 upon penetration.

Does anyone know where I can use the Talenton coins?

Last edited:

GandGolf

Augur
How does scribing spell books work in regards to multi class characters? Does the current class have to be one that uses the same type of spell family as the book they are trying to scribe or is it merely enough to have the spell skill used by the book?

Gunnar

Arbiter
I finished my second game and I think I found everything this time, with three exceptions:
  1. What does the Quantum Ichor do? You create this in Skulheim. It says it's supposed to be used against aliens but I can't figure out how.
  2. How do you obtain the name of the genie in the lamp?
  3. Where do you use the Talenton coins? They seem to be connected to the Roman expedition.
There are some miniquests not listed on the wiki:

Got milk and jellybeans for the Owl -
You just need to bring the items to the Owl give them to him.

Stole the babies quilt cover -
You get this by stealing the babies blanket from the bed in Oblivion when Lord Ahriman banishes you there. You can also show the blanket to the Baby and he will identify and comment on it.

Forged the golden armor -
You must obtain the Golden Lock from the Tabernacle of Music and bring it to Smithers in Crowl who will forge a full set of Golden items: helm, armor, greaves (best AC greaves in game at 32AC) and gauntlets. The gauntlets are best AC gloves in game at 18AC but also give 25DEA resistance, +10 tohit bonus, +25 vs mythical and evil creatures. That's a nice stack if you pair it up with a vs mythical and evil weapon.

The Easter Egg -
Petrified the entire demon horde -
6TxejeC.png
I now have Grimoire 100% out of my system. There is no need to make a new party. There is no need to make a new party. Naga Ninja with Stone Fists would be badass though.

:shredder:

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What does the Quantum Ichor do? You create this in Skulheim. It says it's supposed to be used against aliens but I can't figure out how.

Iirc it's useful only in Skulheim for some puzzle/against the Psychopomp?

Where do you use the Talenton coins? They seem to be connected to the Roman expedition.

At least one place to use them is the runestone in White Cliffs.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I was thinking there must be someplace to spend them, because the description says they're "the only currency accepted in some obscure quarters"... but that could also mean the runestone in white cliff. Strange that you get a bunch of Talentons, when you only need one to use as a key.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Does anyone know where I can use the Talenton coins?

These were originally supposed to be used as tokens in an arcade machine in the game that would allow you to play a tiny monochrome version of ROGUE inside of Grimoire. Had to cut it, got started on it but did not want to miss Christmas release for V2. I don't think they do anything other than be relics of the Roman expedition at present.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom