Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Skill points also seem hard to come by, or maybe I rolled badly?

I think gaining enough skill points is one of the trickier parts. On page 6 there is a list of positive and negative multipliers for the three skill branches for each class. And it's quite likely that something like WIS or DEV also influences the amount of skill points you get on level up. It's also possible that there are race-related multipliers for skill points, similar to mana regeneration speed.

Viata

Arcane
My progress report with some serious spoilers:

I think I found the Uber-sage Kroondergraaf in the Blackspike mountains. Climbed all the way to the top and then into a cavern that ends in lava fields. I guess I'll need some fireproof boots or magic to go there. Also, killed Lord Ahriman - which was surprising considering he is the ruler of the land. His Vanguard Lt didn't mind or didn't know and handed me my next task. I have to say, Kublai Axis really opens up the options - Skulheim and Fortress of the Dead one way, Blackspike mountains with all sorts of goodies the other way.
Were you able to ge inside Skulheim? I didn't fight Lord yet, so I avoided going to Blackspike mountains yet. Also, I though Lord was the villain.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Were you able to ge inside Skulheim? I didn't fight Lord yet, so I avoided going to Blackspike mountains yet. Also, I though Lord was the villain.

I haven't tried going into Skulheim yet, other than recruiting the Necromancer and then letting her go. Maybe she is the key?

Which way do I have to go to get to Waterport from Kublai Axis?

Viata

Arcane

I haven't tried going into Skulheim yet, other than recruiting the Necromancer and then letting her go. Maybe she is the key?

Which way do I have to go to get to Waterport from Kublai Axis?
Kublai -> Harradan Groves -> Crescent Wilderness -> Waterport.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The new version seems good. I finally have a party to have made it more than a smidgen of the way, currently in a deep pit full of corpses. Of course, now I'm tempted to again restart, and leave Rosycheat out.

I still haven't found any weapons worth their salt, so my frontliners have been hand-to-handing it all. Skill points also seem hard to come by, or maybe I rolled badly? Neither my Sage nor Thief at level 4 had enough SP to really have more than 10 on Lockpick and Inspection, for instance, and I'd relied heavily on Rosy for Assay. And of course naught to spare for things like Incantation.
Dont use Rosy, she is cheat mode which in the long run ends up hurting the development of your characters
As for weapons for your starting team the first chest you find in the forest right besides the shrine of the Raptor has a chance of dropping a very good axe 2d8 which was a godsend for my snakeman berserker
The bastard and longswords you can also find are... ok I guess but they cannot compare
Oh and the locked house where the super beast hides you also have a chance to get a whisttle which is simply fantastic; it does sonic damage and has a chance to make enemies insane
For all of you saying that bards are overpowered yeah they might be but that has been the case since Wizardry and you can make up for that by upping the game's difficulty

Oh Sherry I kicked the Hobknob's butt on my third try; remember to use spells like armorplate to give better defense odds and enchanted blade to give better penetration to your attacks
I poisoned it and used magic missle on my wizard and wands for my priest and even though he summoned a spider to help him out I still kicked his butt

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Oh Sherry I kicked the Hobknob's butt on my third try; remember to use spells like armorplate to give better defense odds and enchanted blade to give better penetration to your attacks

Speaking of which, I just found out that I can cast Armorplate, Enchanted Blade and Magic Screen before a fight. Should have been obvious after Wizardry.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, choices and consequences wise...

Does it matter that I am killing Vanguard Patrols left and right?

What if I join Vanguard?

Or the hippie loonies?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I still haven't found any weapons worth their salt, so my frontliners have been hand-to-handing it all.

As for weapons for your starting team the first chest you find in the forest right besides the shrine of the Raptor has a chance of dropping a very good axe 2d8 which was a godsend for my snakeman berserker
The bastard and longswords you can also find are... ok I guess but they cannot compare
Yes, I also lucked out in finding that axe for my berserker at the beginning of the game. Aside from that, I made do with early drops of a longsword (warrior) and lance (ranger) as well as my ranger's starting hunting knife (thief), until I got into the good graces of Captain Krone, at which point he
gives you the key to the armory, which has a few chests with semi-randomized items,
which should provide you with at least 2 better weapons. Later, after visiting
Samhain Mausoleum,
I now have a powerful sword for my fighter, powerful lance/spear for my ranger, and powerful chain/whip for my thief, plus a powerful axe that I think I found someplace else (can't remember where).

osefmarcher

Literate
Made some tests about stats while waiting for manual (might not be 100% accurate) :

DEV = +mana
CON = +vitality

hp is class based
hp regen is fixed at 10% per current hp (not max hp), might be a race ticking rate speed, but almost not noticable (feyfolk seems to regen slower)
mana regen is race based, tick faster for certains races : dwarf/wolfin(ultra mega fast lol)>>>>>>>>>>aeob/durendil/saurian>giant/vamphyr/faefolk(fast)>>>>>>>>human/drow(most horrible)
vit regen is also race based, but not really important it's fast enough as it is, faefolk (ultra fast)>>>>>>>durendil>drow>human/wolfin>dwarf>>giant/drake

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ok, after hours walking around, I need help on the Catechism thing...

I get that I should give the book to Sir Coffergus so he translates it and "converts" me - it even says that in the journal. BUT nothing happens when I give him the Encoded Catechism. I tried a ton of keywords, tried recruiting him and taking him to the sword... nothing works.

Would really appreciate some help, it's all I'm missing (I think) to move to the next area...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So like others, I did my first bit of dabbling with the
Eldritch magic books

It had absurd scribe power requirement of 80.

A quick test showed that 100 scribe wasn't enough to scribe it.

At 100 Arcanum you no longer suffer the sanity effect, but even then it was possible to fail to scribe the book.

After finally successfully scribing it...

6D8 dmg per power level + status effects

So to read assayed items, it is skill requirement / action/use / required roll (skill level).

bataille

Arcane

I get that I should give the book to Sir Coffergus so he translates it and "converts" me - it even says that in the journal. BUT nothing happens when I give him the Encoded Catechism. I tried a ton of keywords, tried recruiting him and taking him to the sword... nothing works.

Would really appreciate some help, it's all I'm missing (I think) to move to the next area...

I never found any encoded versions of the catechism. You can just help the templar with his quest, recruit him and take a normal version of catechism from him.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

I clicked on the Book and then clicked on him with the book on the mouse pointer. Then he translated it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Showing the Encoded Catechism to Sir Coffergus should result in
him replacing it with the Knightly Catechism, which contains the answer to the puzzle.

If that isn't working in your game for whatever reason, the answer to the catechism puzzle is
courage, humility, devotion, sobriety, honesty, loyalty, duty
in that order.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Showing the Encoded Catechism to Sir Coffergus should result in
him replacing it with the Knightly Catechism, which contains the answer to the puzzle.

If that isn't working in your game for whatever reason, the answer to the catechism puzzle is
courage, humility, devotion, sobriety, honesty, loyalty, duty
in that order.
Oh, so he should replace it?

I actually have both of them... got the Encoded one from the tomb, and the Knightly one when I recruited him. But I can't read them and there's nothing on my item journal... I'll just assume it's a bug and use the solution, thanks!
/

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
I actually have both of them... got the Encoded one from the tomb, and the Knightly one when I recruited him. But I can't read them and there's nothing on my item journal... I'll just assume it's a bug and use the solution, thanks!

Just to make sure... you are LOOK:ing at the translated item, right?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just to make sure... you are LOOK:ing at the translated item, right?
uh... no.

:negative:

I thought the NPC would say something or it would appear on my item journal... didn't even know you could examine items like that, never had to do it so far and always thought it was a SEARCH icon.

Damn, I feel dumb now.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Trust me, you are not the only one.

Regarding the druids...

If you try to enter their barrow without the initiation, they'll attack you. The archdruid drops full inventory of spellbooks!

If you go for the friendly way, you won't be attacked at the entrance, but you'll be killing druids all the same.

Is there actually any non-violent interaction even possible inside the barrow?

Once you kill the wicker man, the archdruid attacked me and I got to loot his spellbooks.

But if you go to the same spot without killing wicker man, you won't get the encounter?

Also, is there any interaction later with Medea if you resurrect her?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Trust me, you are not the only one.

Regarding the druids...

If you try to enter their barrow without the initiation, they'll attack you. The archdruid drops full inventory of spellbooks!

If you go for the friendly way, you won't be attacked at the entrance, but you'll be killing druids all the same.

Is there actually any non-violent interaction even possible inside the barrow?

Once you kill the wicker man, the archdruid attacked me and I got to loot his spellbooks.

But if you go to the same spot without killing wicker man, you won't get the encounter?

Also, is there any interaction later with Medea if you resurrect her?

Thanks, I was wondering about that. As to M., have you tried Raise Dead on her? When I cast it, it ask me for an item, so I suppose when you have the right bones, it should work.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The Chinese Karl Marx smoker place was pretty fun.

Wizard Eye helped a lot with this one.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Killed the
Samhain Horror and Argosyre after he attacked me, is there anything to do to make the Crowl citizens less pissed at me?

Also, how do I
open the gate in the Exemplar Vault?

I still haven't figured out what to do with the Kroondergraf device in the museum of magic.
I found the place in the catacombs with the hints, but I don't see how that related to this device. Huh.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Also, how do I
open the gate in the Exemplar Vault?

I still haven't figured out what to do with the Kroondergraf device in the museum of magic.
I found the place in the catacombs with the hints, but I don't see how that related to this device. Huh.
Your question and the device are connected.

Look at the hints and see which of the words from the device appear in the poem in what order. You also need to have done something with what looks similar to what comes out of the machine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom