Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Multi-classing just became very interesting:

Update.

Wolfin Cleric => Templar.

Went from level 1-2, and then the amount of exp required for the next level up reset. So much that I went from level 1-3 on Templar in one fight.

So.....it looks like multi-classing has a purpose after all.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I wish I had planned a multiclass path for all my guys. If you aren't getting to a specialty class you can just class change your heart out and gain lots of skills and hp and stuff.

mondblut

Arcane

Update.

Went from level 1-2, and then the amount of exp required for the next level up reset. So much that I went from level 1-3 on Templar in one fight.

Worked that way in the old version too. The secret was to change just before the upcoming levelup, not after. Level 2 costs the same amount of xp as your next level in previous class did, but then it gets reset to normal progression.

Alex

Arcane

Update.

Worked that way in the old version too. The secret was to change just before the upcoming levelup, not after. Level 2 costs the same amount of xp as your next level in previous class did, but then it gets reset to normal progression.

So, it works pretty much like in Wizardry 6 and 7, with the aside that the first level may take longer or not depending on how close you are to levelling, is that it? And your stats get reset as well? Does that mean that if you put your starting bonus points into attributes, you just lose them once you change classes?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I changed my Bard to a Cleric, and he's still able to keep using the harp he has equipped, which is pretty awesome. I don't think he's supposed to be able to because If I take it off, it doesn't let me re-equip any instruments on him.

Is a feature, not a bug.

Is this consistent for any equipped item?

At some point, I will probably go around unequipping these items at class change. In the meanwhile, think of it as this .... changing careers in mid-stream is so traumatic for the party members they have been left with a death grip on their old implements they cannot release them until they are pried from their grasp. At which time they realize ... I just don't want to be a bard anymore. I can't touch this harp anymore, it is a reminder of my old life. I have to look forward to my new vocation as a ranger and put away the toys of my youth.

Incendax

Augur
So, it works pretty much like in Wizardry 6 and 7, with the aside that the first level may take longer or not depending on how close you are to levelling, is that it? And your stats get reset as well? Does that mean that if you put your starting bonus points into attributes, you just lose them once you change classes?
Yes, you lose them. So it is generally better to put those points into HP or Skills. I prefer HP simply because enemy AOE is always a threat, especially for my squishy Necro who had about 14 HP at Level 10.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, you lose them. So it is generally better to put those points into HP or Skills. I prefer HP simply because enemy AOE is always a threat, especially for my squishy Necro who had about 14 HP at Level 10.
You don't lose any unassigned attribute points though, so you can hold on to your initial bonus points until you're ready to change class and then only spend as many as you need to reach the new class requirements.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Also because, let's face it, Bards are a really gay class.

Not even Charles Bronson could make pantaloons and a super fluffy neck frill look masculine. Bronson's career would be destroyed after he "played that really gay bard in that movie. Bronson was trying to show he had range as an actor but audiences just can't get that image out of their mind of Bronson slowly strolling through the woods in Lederhosen with a muffin cap strumming on his lute harp. His own agent advised him they were dropping him from the World War II movie after that came out."

Generic-Giant-Spider

Not even Charles Bronson could make pantaloons and a super fluffy neck frill look masculine. Bronson's career would be destroyed after he "played that really gay bard in that movie. Bronson was trying to show he had range as an actor but audiences just can't get that image out of their mind of Bronson slowly strolling through the woods in Lederhosen with a muffin cap strumming on his lute harp. His own agent advised him they were dropping him from the World War II movie after that came out."

Now I can't shake the image of Charles Bronson no longer ominously playing a harmonica in Once Upon A Time In The West's opening sequence and is instead strumming gently on a harp or lute. Probably while wearing something like forest green tights and a tunic that is way too short for any real man to feel comfortable with.

mondblut

Arcane
So, it works pretty much like in Wizardry 6 and 7, with the aside that the first level may take longer or not depending on how close you are to levelling, is that it?

There are 2 major differences from Wizardry. One, each class may only be visited once (much like in Wizards & Warriors). Two, each class has only 3 classes you can multiclass to. So, you have to plan your entire multiclassing road in advance to avoid falling into dead ends.

And your stats get reset as well? Does that mean that if you put your starting bonus points into attributes, you just lose them once you change classes?

Yep.

Gunnar

Arbiter
So high level casters get new high level spells, do high level non-caster classes get anything? Seems like if you're building a fighter you want to just run through lots of classes to gather hp and skill points for lethal blow and etc and then land on whichever one you like at the end.

Gunnar

Arbiter
If I levelup Lethal Blow, does it continue to work if I change to a class that doesn't normally get that skill?

What are the advantages of a Warrior? They seem to just suck? Is it about equipment?

Dorateen

Arcane
If I levelup Lethal Blow, does it continue to work if I change to a class that doesn't normally get that skill?

What are the advantages of a Warrior? They seem to just suck? Is it about equipment?

Yes. You can go from a Berserker with lethal blow, to Warrior (a class without the lethal blow skill) and it still works.

I found your assessment of fighter classes to be correct. The Warrior is pretty bland and basic, but it is an option to switch into later just to gather up more hp, vitality and skill points.

Gunnar

Arbiter

Yes. You can go from a Berserker with lethal blow, to Warrior (a class without the lethal blow skill) and it still works.

I found your assessment of fighter classes to be correct. The Warrior is pretty bland and basic, but it is an option to switch into later just to gather up more hp, vitality and skill points.

I was thinking that their low initial requirements could lead to a higher initial bonus point pool on character creation for some races as well.
edit-actually i checked and have one pretty awesome weapon that is warrior only

Last edited:

Sonic Titan

Educated
Bought the game a while back, but I’m just now making time to delve into it. I’d like some input on my party if you guys don’t mind:

3x Berserkers: Barrower, Barrower, Giant
1x Warrior: Giant
1x Sage: Aeorb
1x Bard: Feyfolk
1x Wizard: Human
1x Assassin: Naga

All party members were rolled with 30+, and, outside of the Sage, I believe I placed all points into the HP. Should they have gone towards skill points or attributes instead? I do have intentions to multi-class down the road.

After creating the party and starting I quickly realized I forgot to include a thief of sorts. Am I screwed or can my Bard handle those responsibilities?

Thanks.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Bought the game a while back, but I’m just now making time to delve into it. I’d like some input on my party if you guys don’t mind:

3x Berserkers: Barrower, Barrower, Giant
1x Warrior: Giant
1x Sage: Aeorb
1x Bard: Feyfolk
1x Wizard: Human
1x Assassin: Naga

All party members were rolled with 30+, and, outside of the Sage, I believe I placed all points into the HP. Should they have gone towards skill points or attributes instead? I do have intentions to multi-class down the road.

After creating the party and starting I quickly realized I forgot to include a thief of sorts. Am I screwed or can my Bard handle those responsibilities?

Thanks.

Multiclassing is important and you can't go back to being a class that you were before. So if you want to end up with 3 berserkers after multiclassing you can't start with 3 berserkers. A good berserker would go like Ranger->Warrior->Metalsmith->Berserker. If I was going to make an assassin I'd do it like this: Berserker->Metalsmith->Warrior->Ranger->Thief->Assassin.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Bards and Sages can do the Thief stuff. And other classes too: http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Skills

• Lockpicking The art of picking locks on doors and chests (Assassin,Bard,Jester,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Thief)

And you need Inspection as well for picking locks, but all classes have that one.

As to your party, the Giant has the disadvantage of being slow and SPD is pretty much the most important attribute in the game.

Sonic Titan

Educated
Multiclassing is important and you can't go back to being a class that you were before. So if you want to end up with 3 berserkers after multiclassing you can't start with 3 berserkers. A good berserker would go like Ranger->Warrior->Metalsmith->Berserker. If I was going to make an assassin I'd do it like this: Berserker->Metalsmith->Warrior->Ranger->Thief->Assassin.

Gotcha, so I should 100% go back and plan ahead for what I want my ending classes to be.

Have any other critiques for my party? Thanks for your input.

Bards and Sages can do the Thief stuff. And other classes too: http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Skills

• Lockpicking The art of picking locks on doors and chests (Assassin,Bard,Jester,Pirate,Ranger,Sage,Thief)

And you need Inspection as well for picking locks, but all classes have that one.

As to your party, the Giant has the disadvantage of being slow and SPD is pretty much the most important attribute in the game.

What would you recommend instead? Or just forgo warrior as a starting class.

Gunnar

Arbiter

Gotcha, so I should 100% go back and plan ahead for what I want my ending classes to be.

Have any other critiques for my party? Thanks for your input.

You probably want to pick a race with fast mana regen for a caster rather than human..the fastest is with Wolves and Barrowers, with Faeries and Aeorbs coming after that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What would you recommend instead? Or just forgo warrior as a starting class.

Since Assassins are very easy to roll now, I'd pick them over Warriors. Though it also depends on whether you multi-class, because once you leave a class you cannot come back to it.

Also, if you want a pirate, the Rhattus have the best stats for them - you can actually roll one if you get all 48 points.

Sonic Titan

Educated
So many options, it’s hard to nail down what to start with. I did want to take my melee to Pirates eventually.

No idea what to start with in order to setup for decent multiclass/ending class options.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone knows what exactly Int does for mages? And Wis?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom