Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Deleted Member 16721

Does she take her pay automatic?

Also here is my party is this ok?

Cleve a Wolf Ranger,
Darth Roxor a Giant Warrior,
Fluent a Naga Warrior,
Lady Error a Human Cleric
Comte a Human Sage,
Siveon a Aorb Wizard
Dorateen a Barrow Warrior

And I hired Rosy is this an alright starting party?

Wow, I'm honored bro, truly. Thanks! :brodex:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
100 gold per day is nothing in the Grimoire economy.

Cleve a Wolf Ranger,
Fluent a Naga Warrior,
Comte a Human Sage,
Siveon a Aorb Wizard

It's alright, except humans have quite slow mana regeneration. And Warriors do not have Lethal Blow, unless you plan to change their class later.

Also, unequip the weapons of the Wolf and especially the Naga for much better attacks in the beginning.

Comte

100 gold per day is nothing in the Grimoire economy.

Cleve a Wolf Ranger,
Fluent a Naga Warrior,
Comte a Human Sage,
Siveon a Aorb Wizard

It's alright, except humans have quite slow mana regeneration. And Warriors do not have Lethal Blow, unless you plan to change their class later.

Also, unequip the weapons of the Wolf and especially the Naga for much better attacks in the beginning.

What class has lethal blow?

Also which races are good for mana regeneration?

mondblut

Arcane

Berserker, metalsmith. Maybe ranger too, can't remember after all those multiclasses.

Wolfin and barrower are tops. You really don't need any other races unless you really really want those natural claws in the beginning or want some prestige class from the get go.

Comte

Berserker, metalsmith. Maybe ranger too, can't remember after all those multiclasses.

Wolfin and barrower are tops. You really don't need any other races unless you really really want those natural claws in the beginning or want some prestige class from the get go.

Thanks bro will reconfigure my party a bit. Still at the very beginning of the game. What about that owl statue? I used it to open some chamber with a stone owlface that spoke to me. I don't need that statue for later do I?

mondblut

Arcane
Thanks bro will reconfigure my party a bit. Still at the very beginning of the game. What about that owl statue? I used it to open some chamber with a stone owlface that spoke to me. I don't need that statue for later do I?

No, it's only there to open that chamber.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There's a rock tile in a corner in the SW area in Zephyr Isles that makes detect secret flash and my scout guy "detect something", but [looking] or checking the two surrounding walls doesn't show anything. Whaddup with that?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

RTFM or the Wiki:

http://goldeneragames.com/Manual_GrimoireRPG_V2/
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Skills
  • Lethal Blow The knowledge of critical body areas and targets needed to strike a fatal blow (NOTE: Needs weapons which have *Lethal* in their stats when you assay them.)
(06:Assassin,Berserker,Jester,Metalsmith,Pirate,Ranger)

The lower the number, the faster the mana regeneration:

11 - Barrower

11 - Wolfin

24 - Rhattu

34 - Aeorb

34 - Durendil

34 - Saurian

39 - Feyfolk

39 - Vamphyr

39 - Drake

39 - Naga

44 - Giant

49 - Leonar

109 - Drow

129 - Human

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Races#Mana_Regeneration

Dorateen

Arcane
There's a rock tile in a corner in the SW area in Zephyr Isles that makes detect secret flash and my scout guy "detect something", but [looking] or checking the two surrounding walls doesn't show anything. Whaddup with that?

Could be something is buried there, but you will have to wait for an NPC to direct you to the spot, depending on your actions.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Im getting attacked by 3 groups of 5 Miners in Samhain, 15 total enemies with Superhero difficulty on. The larger groups give the enemy more time to use their special abilities. The miners spam armor rot, making them much, much worse than oreworms, you basically just cannot avoid it. They cast armorplate so much you can't damage them with weapons at all and have to rely solely on magic. I definitely recommend playing on this difficulty as it makes the combats more interesting.

Also, I discovered a problem with this build:

Open Hand Expert Assassin (ROW1)
Drake MET-BER-RAN-THI-ASS

I'm currently at THI, but have no way of getting into Assassin - I had to spend too many bonus points going through BER and RAN, I have a 45 point deficit that's unreachable at this point. It could probably be done if you reloaded levels to get the best attribute gains or went to higher levels before class changing (i changed at 5), but I don't want to do that. I'd rework this to include Warrior and possibly exclude MET/BER, because of their high stat requirements.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Having a Thief as the final class may be better than Assassin actually, since he will be able to level up much quicker. You already have Lethal Blow and the only thing you would get from the Assassin are Ninjitsu and Iron Hands, which are good for unarmed combat only I think.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I was building him as an unarmed character. Not much point doing an Assassin without using hand to hand. If you make an Assassin and then move to a different class, you lose the ability to do lethal blows with unarmed. That's why I wanted to end up on Assassin. I think part of my problem was race choice. Possibly Durendil would have been better, since I wouldn't have to worry about all those weapons that Durendil can't use and he has much better stats for an Assassin class change.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If you make an Assassin and then move to a different class, you lose the ability to do lethal blows with unarmed.

That's a good point. The only other way to do it would be starting with an Assassin and ending on a Jester who can also do this, I think.

For unarmed attacks it's probbaly a good idea to pick a race with the highest unarmed damage - like I said, the Naga seems to be a good choice and is also easy to multiclass (and starts out with a multiplier bonus for Assassins).

Gunnar

Arbiter
If you make an Assassin and then move to a different class, you lose the ability to do lethal blows with unarmed.

That's a good point. The only other way to do it would be starting with an Assassin and ending on a Jester who can also do this, I think.

For unarmed attacks it's probbaly a good idea to pick a race with the highest unarmed damage - like I said, the Naga seems to be a good choice and is also easy to multiclass (and starts out with a multiplier bonus for Assassins).

I just checked the numbers and Naga are the second best match for Assassin in terms of stats, the best being Durendil with just 5 points more, and beating third best Drow by 10 points. Naga beats my choice of Drake by 20 points. Throw in the extras and Naga is definitely the race of choice for an Assassin build.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alright, I made the following party now:

Saurian Berserker
Drake Metalsmith
Wolfin Ranger
Drow Thief
Barrower Thaumaturge
Wolfin Cleric
Barrower Wizard
Aeorb Sage

I'll name the characters after (in)famous Codexers too and then embark on this grand adventure.

the_shadow

Arcane
Just started this game. I have a few quick questions:

1. When my casters level up, they have the option to learn new spells. They are always able to learn the spell at the highest die level. Why wouldn't I always choose to learn it at the highest die level? And what's the point of learning the 'scribe scrolls' skill or finding spellbooks if you are going to get 4 spells at level up anyway?

2. Does detect secret actually do anything? It doesn't seem to actually detect secrets. Only my scouting skill alerts me to nearby secrets. Also, it scouting doesn't seem to highlight hidden blocks or cause walls to disappear, it just tells you something hidden is nearby. Do you even need to learn detect secrets/scouting, or can you just bump into every wall and run your mouse up and down over it to see if there are any hidden bricks? Sure it's a lot of trial and error, but you can use a bit of common sense to determine if a secret wall/switch is nearby (eg. if you run into a locked door which needs a switch/key to open).

3. What is the best way to beat enemy saves with spell casting? I'm going to assume that spell power effects spell success, and that leveling up that particular spell school helps as well. Does leveling INT/WIS/WIL help?

4. How do you disarm traps? I have a thief who can lockpick... does the trap automatically disarm if you successfully complete the lockpick minigame?

Efe

Erudite
you just learn the spell. you cast it at desired die level. if you cant select a die level that means u lack mana
to confirm whether its working or not, go a tile with a secret and look at detect secret icon on main window. ,
these arcane matters are not known to any.
lockpicking is trap disarming. inspection identifies lock chains (click squares on sides), lockpick determines whether it blows on your face at each (mis)step

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Just finished the Bahomet Megalith and I now have 36% of the global map covered, but I've already discovered 49% of all secrets. Is this normal? I somehow get the feeling that the amount of puzzles is going to see a drastic drop at some point.

the_shadow

Arcane
yo[u just learn the spell. you cast it at desired die level. if you cant select a die level that means u lack mana

Yeah, I know that Power Levels are greyed out when you try to cast a spell at higher levels. I just find it weird that you have to select a power level when learning a spell.

SevenSidedDice

Learned
Thistle whistle does extra damage against creatures with weak sonic resistance. Like bats.

Neat, thanks.

The thistle whistle is based on the Shrill Sound spell - there are many other instruments based on other spells.

As to more programming for Cleve, I'm not sure if that's a good idea... ;)

lol. Since then, I reached the end of Hyperborea and obtained many other instruments. They're great! What's weird is, they're all at power 7.

No. But since you won't find anything comparable that you can wield in off hand, you won't be replacing it either.

Late game bards suck. Unless you turn them into spell-casters or something else.

yeah. My bard has an entire row in my inventory.

Any tips on killing Monarch Nettles? My spellcasters are slow and the nettle usually KOs two party members before dying. I'm tired of casting shield and savescumming.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I just find it weird that you have to select a power level when learning a spell.

Yeah, that doesn't do anything. You learn the spell and that's it - then all power levels are available to you if you have enough mana.

And what's the point of learning the 'scribe scrolls' skill or finding spellbooks if you are going to get 4 spells at level up anyway?

You can only scribe spellbooks, not scrolls. Sometimes you find spellbooks of higher level spells that you can get earlier this way. Also, Arcanum and Eldritch spells (some of the most powerful in the game) can be learned only through spellbooks.

Does detect secret actually do anything? It doesn't seem to actually detect secrets.

The icon blinks when there is a secret: either a button, an illusionary wall or something that you need to "Look" at in that tile.

What is the best way to beat enemy saves with spell casting? I'm going to assume that spell power effects spell success, and that leveling up that particular spell school helps as well. Does leveling INT/WIS/WIL help?

The magic skill has the most effect on successful spellcasting, with INT/WIS/WIL each having a bit of an effect. I don't know how much the attributes help with getting through enemy spell resistances - it seems to be mostly about the power level of the spell and finding a spell school where the enemy has a weakness.

Just finished the Bahomet Megalith and I now have 36% of the global map covered, but I've already discovered 49% of all secrets. Is this normal? I somehow get the feeling that the amount of puzzles is going to see a drastic drop at some point.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that. The amount of puzzles doesn't really decrease, except in Moravia - which is just a high level dungeon with good loot. Secrets also do not equal puzzles.

Dorateen

Arcane
Any tips on killing Monarch Nettles?

Which party members act before the monarch? If your bard goes early, do you have a Horn of Winter? That should freeze the monster. If it's your fighter types who are faster, then those battles will be easier once you have sufficient skill in Lethal Blow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom