Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
How high does my swimming skills have to be to cross the water in the Aquavia causeway?

Use Detect Secret, then you don't need to swim there. The first mandatory swim will be in Samhain - have all characters have at least a couple points in swimming and keep the food you find along the way. Eating it increases vitality.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I'm noticing lots of problems with stacks. Besides the notable issue of being unable to separate stacks, In particular if I combine stacks, sometimes I'm left with fewer than before. I put together two stacks of 12 fire arrows, and ended up with 6 fire arrows. Same thing happens with potions of invisibility.

Tokens only stack to 254, but Vending machines will change any token stack greater than 126 into exactly 126 tokens, eating the rest. Also, if you buy the last thing in a vending machine, you lose all the rest of your tokens in the stack you put into the machine.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yep, it happens. This is why I keep a separate stack of 100 tokens for the vending machines, and why I always save before merging arrerz - iirc once I ended up with <10 after merging a total of >40. In fact, I feel like the "down-merging" happens to arrows more often than for other things.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Whats the deal with lethal blow and archery? I have 60 in lethal blow and a lethal bow but it never happens for my archer. Is it gated behind a high lethal blow score like the assassin and open hand fighting?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Are you sure whatever bow you're using is lethal? Fwiw I think all of them are, but maybe there's one that isn't - actually I might remember one that is *magical* instead of *lethal*. I also don't think it's gated, because I'm pretty sure I had some crits going in as early as the cenotaph of the black lich with archery.

And speaking of bows, today I realised one thing that is very iffy about them in the grand scheme of thangs. I've just made it to Gideon, and I noticed that arrows always seem to miss incorporeal enemies (like the fucking psychic beholders that are a YUGE PAIN IN THE ASS - is there any useful defence against their autistic screeching? I tried magic screen, deflection screen, gaze reflection and even sonic shield, nothing seems to werk). Maybe the speshul ones like demonkillers don't, but needless to say I don't feel like wasting them on random encounters.

Also - is the prayer shawl you get in Samhain useful for anything other than setting up the funeral for that dead guy for the stonehead? I still have it in me bags and it's still listed as critical.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I was using the siege arbalest, not sure if it was lethal but I have a lethal one now. I think you're right about the ghostly enemies, now that you mention it. I'm not that impressed with archery. My plain old spear warrior has 3 times the kills of my archer. The vending machine in Kublai Axis runs out, so there is not an endless supply of the sleeper arrow like I thought before.

When I was fighting the psychopomp I noticed that the defensive spells weren't giving me protection from all his abilities, I think those beholder enemies are similar. I always just try to kill them in the first or second round.

I'm pretty sure the prayer shawl is only used in the one quest.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm not that impressed with archery.

For me it started to shine only when I got Winged Justice. Atm my archer dude basically does the same damage as my templar with the super monster maul, while also getting crits on top - the effectiveness is absurd, really. It also helps that I've been mostly hogging all the arrows until I got it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And speaking of bows, today I realised one thing that is very iffy about them in the grand scheme of thangs. I've just made it to Gideon, and I noticed that arrows always seem to miss incorporeal enemies

Fun fact: this is apparently nullified by enchanted blade. Stupendous!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
(yeah, triple post, sue me)

In particular if I combine stacks, sometimes I'm left with fewer than before.

Gunnar I'm pretty sure I now know why this happens:

grimmerge1.png

I have here two stacks of Cupid's Arrows. Each time I try to merge them, I get 6.

Very odd. I tried dicking around with them in various ways, and then I found it. Inspecting the stack of "12" yields this:

grimmerge2.png

"Quantity: 1"

No wonder they merge into a total of 6.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Gunnar

Arbiter
I checked my potion of invisible, it says 11 quantity, but when I look at it in inventory, it says 3 charges. If I drink one, it still says 11 quantity, but only 2 charges. If I use up 3 charges, it takes the quantity down to 10 and the charges go up to 6. In essence the stack that says 11 has more than 60 charges. I have another stack of invisible potions, that says 3 quantity and has only 3 uses as you would expect. If I combine the two stacks, I get a single stack of 6 that behaves normally.

Comte

I defeated the boss in Aquavia basement. Now I found a switch behind a secret wall that has a treasure chest behind a gate. I can't seem to use the switch is this a bug? Or working as intended?

Gunnar

Arbiter
I noticed Drak sells two swords, Ninjato and Wakizashi, which give a bonus vs ASIAN. Who or what are the Asians in this game? Also, Wakizashi is a lethal offhand sword that can be used by a lot of classes besides assassin, which seems pretty important since it would allow you to dual wield lethal swords if you got the Daguerro. It's missing from the wiki-2D8 damage.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I defeated the boss in Aquavia basement. Now I found a switch behind a secret wall that has a treasure chest behind a gate. I can't seem to use the switch is this a bug? Or working as intended?

Dude, when you leave a puzzle unsolved and there is a locked door remaining, guess what - you need to solve that puzzle. It's the dials on the upper floor of Aquavia.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Does the ring "ACME SERVICE" actually do anything?
SuperID says it casts "Read Languages" at power 4 when equipped, but nothing happens when I equip it. Not to mention there isn't a "Read Languages" spell.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I noticed Drak sells two swords, Ninjato and Wakizashi, which give a bonus vs ASIAN. Who or what are the Asians in this game?

Basically everything in the mandarin's parlour - ninjas, ogre mages, also the ?ugly dogs?. I think there are some more as well (aren't there samurai somewhere? I don't remember), but their highest concentration is in the parlour. Moon Singer has the same mod too.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I picked the eerie wastes beginning and so finally got to unlock the Temple of Hathor-Sogg, and it's pretty great. You can get 5 random Arcane spellbooks there, the best place I have seen to get them that isn't the Library at the very end of the game. There are also two stat boosts, 3 skill boosts, a magic staff and two high end chests. I also picked up a couple medusa heads there.

To get the spellbooks you need someone with a high WIL score, so I recommend recruiting Kroondergraff who has 95 WIL.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Items that you drop stay where you dropped them, right? I have quite a bit of stuff that clutters my inventory now. And there's no need to lug it all around if I can set up a stash somewhere.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
There's a rock tile in a corner in the SW area in Zephyr Isles that makes detect secret flash and my scout guy "detect something", but [looking] or checking the two surrounding walls doesn't show anything. Whaddup with that?

Turtles see all, know all. But you may need to patch them up to get them to talk to you about what they saw buried there by those awful, dastardly incorrigible pirates.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There's a rock tile in a corner in the SW area in Zephyr Isles that makes detect secret flash and my scout guy "detect something", but [looking] or checking the two surrounding walls doesn't show anything. Whaddup with that?

Turtles see all, know all. But you may need to patch them up to get them to talk to you about what they saw buried there by those awful, dastardly incorrigible pirates.

But I was a swell lad and healed the turtle and he told me nuffin... :negative:

Guess I'll have to check again.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Haven't gotten any info on that from Nick either. Maybe this pirate treasure is where the fabled name of the djinn is hidden?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is the name of the djinn different from the name of the king of the djinn? Cuz I found that somewhere.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That name in the Ancients level is to get a weapon in the endgame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom