Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Gunnar

Arbiter
I think the payoff is too good for lethal blow.

If everything got nerfed down to grognard mub balinses the game would be no fun to play. It would just be a chore. I enjoyed Wiz 6 and 7 most when I discovered the exploits.

Cleve, I acknowledged this exact point in my posts and I was not suggesting that lethal blow be nerfed. I was suggesting that a few monsters, maybe a few boss monsters, be immune to it to encourage other strategies sometimes. I'm confused as to why this is a controversial idea, but I guess it's because you're copying from Wiz 6 and 7 and that's that.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
There's a rock tile in a corner in the SW area in Zephyr Isles that makes detect secret flash and my scout guy "detect something", but [looking] or checking the two surrounding walls doesn't show anything. Whaddup with that?

Turtles see all, know all. But you may need to patch them up to get them to talk to you about what they saw buried there by those awful, dastardly incorrigible pirates.

But I was a swell lad and healed the turtle and he told me nuffin... :negative:

Guess I'll have to check again.
You have to heal him fully (until the point where you can no longer heal him), then ask him about pirate. The reward is kinda underwhelming though.

pavis

Educated
What can I do with the dead ringer chart ? When I show it to
Jacques
he attacks me
but I get his diary
and nobody in my party seems able to use it

SevenSidedDice

Learned
I'm at the Necropolix, collecting skulls. All these skulls seem to be able to scribe spells.

"The Accursed Skull of Ra"(Red) when "used", shows that my character already has the "Hold undead" spell. Others aren't identified, they just give a "could not scribe" message. I tried read magic (multiple times) and it doesn't work. Is there any way to scribe those skulls?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
WELL... when you scribe things, the item usually gets destroyed so uh... Doesn't sound like a great idea?

Identified item should tell you what level of scribe roll it requiries to succeed. Usually just repeatedly spamming scribe gets you through.

But I doubt those are supposed to teach you spells. At least save before you screw up your game.

SevenSidedDice

Learned
For every skull:

NECROMANCY
PRIME
TALISMAN
UNDEAD WARD
INCANT POWER 7

* SUPER ID *
SAVE 25
H-
CURSED 7

Only For "Ra":

"Hold Undead" is already in Agatha's Spellbook!

Other Necro spells I have:

Banish Undead
Raise Dead
Undead Ward
Brain Rot

Dorateen

Arcane
What can I do with the dead ringer chart ? When I show it to
Jacques
he attacks me
but I get his diary
and nobody in my party seems able to use it

The chart is supposed to help you locate the pieces of the

Cathedral bell

But I found all that without getting the chart. However it's good that it provoked an attack from him (which makes sense in the story line) because the diary you get holds the clue you need for a later puzzle.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I found the Necktwister sling, it's in a chest in Loch Titan. It's magical and does 3d8 damage. It says there's a chance to stun on a successful hit. Probably the best sling, so good to know if you want to make a sling character - It can only be used by CLE, TEM, NEC and SAG. Seems like a great weapon for the NEC in particular since everybody else on that list has good alternatives.

Gunnar

Arbiter
The stun proc is much better than extra damage, IMO. Especially since you can do better than 6d6 with any other weapon type.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I found the Necktwister sling, it's in a chest in Loch Titan. It's magical and does 3d8 damage. It says there's a chance to stun on a successful hit. Probably the best sling, so good to know if you want to make a sling character - It can only be used by CLE, TEM, NEC and SAG. Seems like a great weapon for the NEC in particular since everybody else on that list has good alternatives.
Have you tried actually using it? AFAIK, it's not a sling. It's a bolas, and you attack by throwing it at your enemy. What this means is that you can use it only use it once per battle, and after every battle you have to pick it up, re-equip it, and set your commands again. The sheer annoyance of that made the weapon unusable for me.

Incendax

Augur
Random bonuses on level up are the bane of my OCD. It there any way to get static level up bonuses, even if those are slightly less than average? Like always getting 3 attribute points on level up?

Gunnar

Arbiter
Have you tried actually using it? AFAIK, it's not a sling. It's a bolas, and you attack by throwing it at your enemy. What this means is that you can use it only use it once per battle, and after every battle you have to pick it up, re-equip it, and set your commands again. The sheer annoyance of that made the weapon unusable for me.

Wow, that's terrible. Here I was thinking it made a sling build viable, but that doesn't even make throwing attractive to use. Cleve should have made it a boomerang or something.

mondblut

Arcane

Wow, that's terrible. Here I was thinking it made a sling build viable, but that doesn't even make throwing attractive to use. Cleve should have made it a boomerang or something.

List of games where throwing weapons do NOT suck:

the dagger of returning in Ravenloft. :smug:

and that's it.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

List of games where throwing weapons do NOT suck:

the dagger of returning in Ravenloft. :smug:

and that's it.

if returning/ not returning is your criterion, might want to mention the IE's returning throwing axes & hammers. Yxunomei was killed more than once by one lone dwarf short person with Haste and the +2 throwing axe.

mondblut

Arcane
if returning/ not returning is your criterion, might want to mention the IE's returning throwing axes & hammers.

The criterions are: 1) not having to run out of this throwing shit and end up unarmed within seconds of fighting, and 2) not having to collect this shit and equip it back after every battle. D&D "returning" weapons usually satisfy the demand if not implemented by autists.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
if returning/ not returning is your criterion, might want to mention the IE's returning throwing axes & hammers.

The criterions are: 1) not having to run out of this throwing shit and end up unarmed within seconds of fighting, and 2) not having to collect this shit and equip it back after every battle. D&D "returning" weapons usually satisfy the demand if not implemented by autists.

The real problems here have to do with those points, but they are:

1) my valuable magical throwing weapon is gone after combat

and

2) my valuable throwing weapon, while usable once per battle at most, doesn't do way more damage than some magic bow + magic arrows combo, and you can have a whole quiver of those.

Throwing weapons in Grimwah are neat because you can have a shield equipped at the same time, and there's really no reason why your first two chars wouldn't have a shield equipped. Weapon switching is what weapon sets are for. It's p. autistic not to use those. I mean, alternatively, you can go the route of more modern RPG's and make throwing weapons basically magic ammunition that doesn't require a launcher and that can be powerful but never unique; like poison darts and stuff. I actually like that Grimwah offers some heavier ranged weapons like the javelin that don't stack, though I still have to find good use for them, exactly because there's no weapon switching (in Wiz8 for example heavy throwing weapons would have been great).

SevenSidedDice

Learned
Re Scribable Skulls : I just saved it and moved on, I tried read magic multiple times, couldn't do it.

Some screenshots:

Ahriman and his Vanguard cronies KO'd in two rounds :

m6ln6O2.png

olnmV7B.png

Gf76yXT.png

Shelach is really scary :

pgXFPqQ.png

iITC7Fs.png

zFGyjs0.png

Psychopomp
Critkilled,
First Round :
dDRFqTw.png

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Talisman of the Spiderclimb (What is "Spiderclimb"?)

To climb mountains. Can come in handy if you don't have a high climbing skill on everone.

Never found a use for the Common Gate Key though - maybe some of the locked houses in Kublai can be opened with them, or something.

Not sure about the Clutcher Talon - it is consumable, so try using it and see what happens.

SevenSidedDice

Learned
Talisman of the Spiderclimb (What is "Spiderclimb"?)

To climb mountains. Can come in handy if you don't have a high climbing skill on everone.

Never found a use for the Common Gate Key though - maybe some of the locked houses in Kublai can be opened with them, or something.

Not sure about the Clutcher Talon - it is consumable, so try using it and see what happens.

Yet another item to chuck from my inventory! There are so many items in the game that I have never used!

I have never used any gems or potions ("saving for a rainy day" huehue), never used any scrolls, always rested instead of eating food, never used mephistics, sharpen, incant or smithing. I also have a LARGE hoard of perk keys, common gate keys, musical instruments (almost all lyre of slumbers), shitty weapons, various dusts, potions and other crap I will never touch again back in crowl. The game might show it on one tile but I'm sure half the reason poor Smithers is so damned cross with me is all my junk suffocating his shop and him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom