Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grimoire Now Available On Itch.Io - With Steam Key!!

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
it's full of bad writing.

I thought the writing was pretty good, certainly above average for a video game. Can you provide an example of the bad writing?

[Sound of tumbleweeds rolling in desert dust, a coyote howling]

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard

Gunnar

Arbiter

I thought the writing was pretty good, certainly above average for a video game. Can you provide an example of the bad writing?

The trailer

I haven't seen the trailer, can you describe what was bad about it or screenshot the part in the trailer that was bad?

Then see the trailer and it'll be obvious.

I watched the trailer, it's not obvious to me. There are only a few short text passages in the trailer. Surely you can pick one of them out and explain why the writing is bad?

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard

The trailer

I haven't seen the trailer, can you describe what was bad about it or screenshot the part in the trailer that was bad?

I watched the trailer, it's not obvious to me. There are only a few short text passages in the trailer. Surely you can pick one of them out and explain why the writing is bad?

The very first words that you can read "super sekret teknologee"... and at the end "reserve a copy to win at teh internetz"

This is so distasteful to present an official trailer with such trash writing especially considering the time it took to finish it. It reeks of trashy nerd language.

Okagron

Prophet
The very first words that you can read "super sekret teknologee"... and at the end "reserve a copy to win at teh internetz"

This is so distasteful to present an official trailer with such trash writing especially considering the time it took to finish it. It reeks of trashy nerd language.
Judges writing of a whole game based on a trailer, which probably put those as a joke. You can't help yourself when it comes to being a mentally challenged retard, can you?

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard

Judges writing of a whole game based on a trailer, which probably put those as a joke. You can't help yourself when it comes to being a mentally challenged retard, can you?

You judged the writing of F3 based on other people's opinion you have no room to talk.

Anyway if that is what he calls humor the writing is most likely garbage.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Only thing missing now is a PDF copy of the manual and a mobile port so I can play while I poop instead of just looking at the wall and contemplate life like I usually do.

Gunnar

Arbiter

The trailer

Thanks for providing an example. You have a fair point about that. The thing is though, those words you mentioned aren't a part of the writing of the actual game. They're just words that appear superimposed on screen during the trailer. You won't see that stuff in the actual game.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Gunnar I'm sure that you won't see that stuff in the actual game but it tells a tale about the writer and his style. He probably used a writing style that he doesn't master to appear smarter than he is.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I'm sure that you won't see that stuff in the actual game but it tells a tale about the writer and his style. He probably used a writing style that he doesn't master to appear smarter than he is.

Maybe? You could check that theory by reading what he wrote, though. There is text in that trailer that appears in the game. Is there something wrong with how he did it?

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm sure that you won't see that stuff in the actual game but it tells a tale about the writer and his style. He probably used a writing style that he doesn't master to appear smarter than he is.

Maybe? You could check that theory by reading what he wrote, though. There is text in that trailer that appears in the game. Is there something wrong with how he did it?

It looks mostly generic and uninteresting tbh. Well written but not worth reading.

Gunnar

Arbiter

It looks mostly generic and uninteresting tbh. Well written but not worth reading.

It is well written, I agree. I suppose interesting is somewhat subjective but what about the description of Black Pierre in the trailer?

"He's dressed in a solid black vest with little silver buttons, but you are quick to decide that's not why he's called Black Pierre. His eyes are so dark that they appear to have no pupils, they're just deep, blood chilling black holes that serve as windows into his soul as criminal and treacherous as any man that walked the earth."

That is an interesting description of a Pirate.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard

It is well written, I agree. I suppose interesting is somewhat subjective but what about the description of Black Pierre in the trailer?

"He's dressed in a solid black vest with little silver buttons, but you are quick to decide that's not why he's called Black Pierre. His eyes are so dark that they appear to have no pupils, they're just deep, blood chilling black holes that serve as windows into his soul as criminal and treacherous as any man that walked the earth."

It sounds very pillarsofeternity-esque. Complex description of a NPC that will most likely send you on a fetch quest.

Gunnar

Arbiter

It sounds very pillarsofeternity-esque. Complex description of a NPC that will most likely send you on a fetch quest.

Okay, so we are agreeing that it's well written and interesting. You say that the description is too complex, but it's only two sentences. How would you re-write these two sentences to reduce the needless complexity?

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
I said it was complex, not interesting. The TL;DR of that sentence is that the NPC has completely black eyes and is a special evil snowflake, that's pretty generic.

To really gauge the writing we should look at the intro text and the very first quests that are given to you, not some random description.

Deleted Member 16721

Why hasn't this game sold more? There is clearly an audience for a REAL old-school blobber out there. The writing and game overall looks excellent. Maybe it intimidates people or something. I can't wait to dive in after Serpent in the Staglands. Pretty sure this will be my next game to play. Is the manual a must-read or can I pretty much wing it?

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Why hasn't this game sold more? There is clearly an audience for a REAL old-school blobber out there. The writing and game overall looks excellent. Maybe it intimidates people or something. I can't wait to dive in after Serpent in the Staglands. Pretty sure this will be my next game to play. Is the manual a must-read or can I pretty much wing it?

Why play this low effort trash when you can play Legend of Grimrock? That's an example of modernized old-school blobber well done.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I said it was complex, not interesting. The TL;DR of that sentence is that the NPC has completely black eyes and is a special evil snowflake, that's pretty generic.

To really gauge the writing we should look at the intro text and the very first quests that are given to you, not some random description.

Sure. I asked you to pick some text before to look at, please go ahead and choose a different passage. I believe there is one in the trailer that is from the very beginning of the game we could look at. Post it and tell me what's wrong with it.

Martyr

Arcane

Why play this low effort trash when you can play Legend of Grimrock? That's an example of modernized old-school blobber well done.
different audience. LoG is a spiritual sequel/remake of Dungeon Master, Grimoire of Wizardry 6/7.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

For one this is pretty rage quit-y at the beggining with those ?RUDE CHAPS? or ?WORM? bands at the beggining one shotting your ass and being a pain even with a decent build, not to mention people nowadays are too sensitive to be able to look past Cleve's sperging on forums when considering a purchase.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom