Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
1465315481223.png

One of the records is lifting more than mike tyson
They intended to insult Cleve with this. But how many other people can claim that they are characters in Jagged Alliance? They've unintentionally memorialized him. Cleve wins again.

can't outcleve the Cleve. If you make fun of him he wins. If you take him seriously he wins.

:ibelieveincleve:

Bohr

Arcane

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Grand Refuge of the Ancients was a great dungeon. Did it toward the latter half of the game, ended up with a lot of the gear our party would finish with. Those vision scenes have a nice Elminage Gothic vibe, with the bizarre landscapes and creatures.

Elminage certainly had some bizarre mobs. Man that is some game. Ibag's was amazing. The whole game was really.

The game is at a 90% discount right now! 12 hours left.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/291960/Elminage_Gothic/

No wonder it's almost free - they must know that V2 is around the corner

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
btw why does Calvin Barkmore have a strongly receding hairline when we have photographic evidence of Cleve's full shock of hair from the 2000s?

Lies, lies everywhere

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 2 hours ago

Got bogged down in enhancements to combat, added some more condition icons, worked on some of the logic for monsters turning tail and fleeing in combat (party still gets experience) which was actually turned off in V1, apparently. Fleeing was working for many years then I did some work on phase orders for monsters and turned it off while it was being refactored, apparently never turned it back on. Only discovered this while testing new areas and encounters. Still fixing this up but should be out as soon as possible. Each one of these fixes requires extensive testing, some of which I have automated now.

LootSeeker

Educated
Weird. At least the redirect isn't to some super xxx gheyzor site. Still annoying though.

index.php

Arcane
THE NERFENING
6 NOVEMBER - GOLDEN ERA GAMES
I never dreamed after I released Grimoire that the biggest outcry would be that the game got too easy with the exploits. I left the exploits in so players could discover them and that way nobody could say the game was too hard once you knew what they were.

Somehow, MUH BALINSE became a thing. Woe onto those who ask for MUH BALINSE and receive it, for they shall weep tears of snowflake angst when it arrives!

The biggest spell exploits like Deep Freeze have been nerfed down to much more modest levels. The Bards have had their skills trimmed to where they are formidable but not decisive. This has made the game much more difficult. Monsters think harder about targeting when they are directing their attacks and they save better against the attacks by the party in all forms.

The game has gotten harder and fairer across the board, with spells like TIMESTOP reduced to brief advantages that fade quickly.

I plan to release V2 within a week but it is likely that work on V3 will begin thereafter and there will still be tweaking going on before the end of the year. A game this complex requires colossal cycles of testing and adjustment that I was not able to complete before getting it out last year, despite several successive Q&As with thousands of players on the beta version.

It is only recently within the last two years I got automated testing and test harnesses for Grimoire. If I had to do a similar game again from scratch, this time the unit testing framework would be one of the first things I'd get running. The fine tuning of the game is very difficult compared to most software because a single percentage point can tip the logarithmic curves of the way combat works and responds to the player. I was reading the original history of Wizardry once about the extensive test frameworks created by Woodhead and Greenberg - and it is obvious how brilliant they were to foresee what kind of testing was needed for quality assurance in a game like this. I had been working on Grimoire for five years before it became apparent that I had badly neglected this aspect when starting work on the game. Coming from my background mostly writing arcade games for the Commodore 64 this was something I had not been properly exposed to. Trying to play catch-up now but these things are much easier to design at the outset than at the end.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It is only recently within the last two years I got automated testing and test harnesses for Grimoire. If I had to do a similar game again from scratch, this time the unit testing framework would be one of the first things I'd get running. The fine tuning of the game is very difficult compared to most software because a single percentage point can tip the logarithmic curves of the way combat works and responds to the player. I was reading the original history of Wizardry once about the extensive test frameworks created by Woodhead and Greenberg - and it is obvious how brilliant they were to foresee what kind of testing was needed for quality assurance in a game like this. I had been working on Grimoire for five years before it became apparent that I had badly neglected this aspect when starting work on the game. Coming from my background mostly writing arcade games for the Commodore 64 this was something I had not been properly exposed to. Trying to play catch-up now but these things are much easier to design at the outset than at the end.

Yeah, usually when you start playing blobbers or a specifically a Wizardry, you don't appreciate how well the difficulty works until you play other games and see just how out of whack that can get

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Believe it or not, one of the earliest ideas in the design document was the Patron Argent, a way to cheat up levels by paying in gold in place of experience points. It never made it into the game. Until now.

If you don't believe me, see the unicorn standing to the left in the Grimoire Logo? Does nothing in V1, not even found as an item.

Finally implemented this at every one of the new shrines in game.

While at a Shrine, you use the Patron Argent (found in a new area and requiring the solution of a puzzle to obtain by switching it with another item, also found in a new area) and have a one-off chance at that shrine to advance any party member to the next level by paying the required experience points in gold.

Works now, added a new screenshot of the unicorn on the Steam page to show it in action. Level up by paying out. It's a very cool new feature.

grimss-new4.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom