Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Believe it or not, one of the earliest ideas in the design document was the Patron Argent, a way to cheat up levels by paying in gold in place of experience points. It never made it into the game. Until now.

If you don't believe me, see the unicorn standing to the left in the Grimoire Logo? Does nothing in V1, not even found as an item.

Finally implemented this at every one of the new shrines in game.

While at a Shrine, you use the Patron Argent (found in a new area and requiring the solution of a puzzle to obtain by switching it with another item, also found in a new area) and have a one-off chance at that shrine to advance any party member to the next level by paying the required experience points in gold.

Works now, added a new screenshot of the unicorn on the Steam page to show it in action. Level up by paying out. It's a very cool new feature.

That's a really nice solution to make use of all the gold, the game really needs some high expensive stuff to buy or maybe less gold finds

mondblut

Arcane
That's a really nice solution to make use of all the gold, the game really needs some high expensive stuff to buy

If you do quests for the vanguard officer in Kublai Axis, you can purchase vanguard armor pieces and polearms from him, which are basically end-tier equipment only surpassed by unique weapons and highest tier chest armor finds. You'll still have tons of gold left, though.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
btw why does Calvin Barkmore have a strongly receding hairline when we have photographic evidence of Cleve's full shock of hair from the 2000s?

Lies, lies everywhere

I would swear on a Bible, in a court of law, that MSM has restored the color to my hair. No kidding. It has gone from almost silver in 2014 to nearly deep brown in 2018 after two years of MSM once daily followed by blackstrap molasses (copper and iron, key components in coloring hair if your body is primed to uptake them with MSM first). It is also much thicker, stronger and healthier looking. This in a nearly 56 year old man. You can imagine how sulfur deficient our diets are that this stuff has this dramatic effect on whosoever takes it.

My only real side effect is that I take so many vitamins each day I barely have any time left to eat actual food. Some of them work remarkably well in combination with high intensity strength training.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That's a really nice solution to make use of all the gold, the game really needs some high expensive stuff to buy

If you do quests for the vanguard officer in Kublai Axis, you can purchase vanguard armor pieces and polearms from him, which are basically end-tier equipment only surpassed by unique weapons and highest tier chest armor finds. You'll still have tons of gold left, though.

Sounds like not enough BALINSE.

Sorry, V2 just got delayed to the traditional Christmas day release date... Or was it Easter? Halloween?

Parsifarka

Arcane
index.php
Beautiful as a Pre-Raphaelite painting, I reckon this is the best artwork I've seen in Grimoire yet. If this gets to Ridley Scott we can expect a Legend remake soon.
It reminds me of meeting Pegasus in Gates to Another World for the first time, and that's amazing :salute:

Comte

btw why does Calvin Barkmore have a strongly receding hairline when we have photographic evidence of Cleve's full shock of hair from the 2000s?

Lies, lies everywhere

I would swear on a Bible, in a court of law, that MSM has restored the color to my hair. No kidding. It has gone from almost silver in 2014 to nearly deep brown in 2018 after two years of MSM once daily followed by blackstrap molasses (copper and iron, key components in coloring hair if your body is primed to uptake them with MSM first). It is also much thicker, stronger and healthier looking. This in a nearly 56 year old man. You can imagine how sulfur deficient our diets are that this stuff has this dramatic effect on whosoever takes it.

My only real side effect is that I take so many vitamins each day I barely have any time left to eat actual food. Some of them work remarkably well in combination with high intensity strength training.

Cleve how much blackstrap molasses do you take a teaspoon daily?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
THE SPAMMENING
10 November - GOLDEN ERA GAMES
Face it, a game is no fun if there are no short routes you can eventually discover to do pretty much whatever you want to do in it. Even with more balance added, there is still a need for some backdoors so that players can tackle bigger challenges with wiser resource management. There must be spam and it must be salty or the game will feel stifling eventually!

One of the biggest lacks in Grimoire has been the economy. Most players who know anything about merchants quickly discover they can make extraordinary amounts of gold just selling redundant/extraneous treasure. This is why experienced players refrain from killing NPCs, amongst other reasons. You need shopkeepers who can buy your goods to remain alive.

Believe it or not, there was an original plan to manage these sums by providing useful ways to spend grand displays of wealth ... based on a very rare item called the "Patron Argent." This was in the original design document in 1992 but last year with pressure from all sides to get the game out, I slashed it out (with other features now present in V2) and it was sorely missed. It provided a simple way to level up players at shrines without having the required experience points, paying instead in gold to increase your players current level! You may wonder what the unicorn was doing in the Grimoire logo onscreen - that is the Patron Argent item, which was never placed in the game when V1 came out!

It now works at all the new shrines in the game. You present the "Patron Argent" and are offered a one-time chance at that shrine to kick your party members up to the new level by parting with cash. Through strategic use of shrines you can reach much higher levels for characters without grinding the experience points.

V2 + Manual is coming very soon, with these and many other new features implemented that practically make it a whole different game. I was glad to finally finish Grimoire the way I envisioned it, with the design document serving as my checklist for all the play mechanics I wanted to be present.

index.php

Arcane
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 10 hours ago

The manual will come out with V2 together. Working very hard here, particularly testing combat with the new features and enhancements to weapon crafting. Not ready yet to release but hopefully very soon.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 10 hours ago

Although technically all the new features are present, I have gotten derailed testing them. Can't just throw new features in like this that have such a profound impact on gameplay without thorough testing. As long as I am testing I can't finish the manual. Always turns out that in a colossal game of this size, the optimistic projections are always wrong because of the potential for side effects. For example, forging armor can theoretically push some armor TACs to illegal levels. Have to make sure armor is always trimmed the instant it is equipped to legal ranges. This also impacts the balance that natural ACs at character creation can have in tandem with a full set of forged armor. All this requires testing.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
COPPER ERA GAMES [developer] 10 years later

Although technically all the new features are present, a crocodile ate my typewriter which is a unique model build from scratch by my grand-father with a unique police.
That means i'm going to restart writing the manual from scratch but i'm confident it'll be ready by this time next week with the V2 release.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
About the destiny stat:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 13 hours ago
notification_icon_flag_dark.png
forum_topicicon_reply.png

Destiny can be a big help sometimes and turn the tide of a fight when a character who should have died makes a miraculous save and survives to another round.

About the nerfs:

Possibility of making exploits a selectable option?

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 13 hours ago

Too many fixes already to roll back.

About V2:

V2 release when?

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 13 hours ago
Next Friday and savegames will be compatible!

About Grimoire 2:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 13 hours ago

Grimoire II will have Incel, Zwe and Zwer genders as well as vending machines that cut your genitals off once you save up enough tokens. I have made this a top priority for the sequel and may build an entire API devoted to gender resolution in complicated situations.

Last edited:

GandGolf

Augur
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom