Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Can't go wrong with two berserkers up front. Rangers are also good. Both get lethal blow. Add some spellcasters to that and there you have it.

PEACH

Arbiter
Guys, planning to buy this game - what party setup you suggest?

Sage is great if you want to get the most out of Cleve's writing and the game's personality. Every item can be assayed in greater detail and most of them have pretty lengthy and humorous descriptions that get permanently written down in your journal. Some of them can also be quite helpful for progressing sidequests and optional content as well. By mid-to-lategame you'll be so powerful with a couple berserkers and some casters that you can easily spare a slot for one and even after reading the dozens (hundreds?) of texts I would never replay the game without a Sage in the back row because of how much it added to the overall experience.

Don't worry too much about going full powergaming though. I didn't have a dedicated healer or an offensive caster in my playthrough and I managed just fine (though this was at launch and your mileage may vary). There's generally a lot of breathing room to work with in terms of party composition as long as you have your meat and potatoes classes up front and make liberal use of the items and buffs that matter most (Armourplate, Enchanted Weapon etc). With a more well rounded party than mine you should have 2-3 slots that can be literally anything you want.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
New areas, new inventory screen, mini-games, new art (in-game and three new title screens), new functionality (alchemy, shrines, the sanity bar or whatever it is called) - and manual.

What about loot and mob tables? I faintly remember people hollering about those in the vanilla. I think itemization in particular was lambasted as banal shit boring.

Dorateen

Arcane
I think itemization in particular was lambasted as banal shit boring.

Itemization was fantastic, and there is a lot of it. Everything from mundane treasures to versatile consumables and powerful weaponry and armor. Characters will be upgrading their gear throughout the game. So many instruments, so many types of ammunition that all have varying effects. Even space-age firearms are available. I don't see how any of it can be considered uninteresting.

V.2 will improve the crafting system and add further options to enchant items, so there's that, too.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't see how any of it can be considered uninteresting.

From Felipe's review:

Treasure chests always gave them same kind of loot, drawn from a very small loot table. I rolled a Ranger, had a bow, but couldn't get arrows until around 40 hours of playing. I was swimming in cash, but there was nothing to buy, as stores have very limited inventory and never restock.

And I remember more mentions about limited loot pool. Memory is foggy, haven't followed the game much since the launch.

Dorateen

Arcane
I don't see how any of it can be considered uninteresting.

From Felipe's review:

Treasure chests always gave them same kind of loot, drawn from a very small loot table. I rolled a Ranger, had a bow, but couldn't get arrows until around 40 hours of playing. I was swimming in cash, but there was nothing to buy, as stores have very limited inventory and never restock.

And I remember more mentions about limited loot pool. Memory is foggy, haven't followed the game much since the launch.

Treasure chests do give out randomized loot, and some of the lower tier items are repeated. But that's not the case with high end equipment, including things found in unique locations. Arrows are not immediately available, but later in the game there are ammunition vending machines. Soon you will have so many stacks of arrows, you need a quiver to contain them. In addition, there are magic darts and slings (and guns!), so ranged attacks are not limited to only bow and crossbow.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Why some spells do not work - getting "Resist" constantly? Level difference with monsters? Or something else going on?

Cast 10 magic missiles vs brigand, only 1 was not resisted!

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, what effect does magic school actually does? It prevents spell fizzles? Increase damage? Or another effect?

p.s. Game is fun.

Dorateen

Arcane
Why some spells do not work - getting "Resist" constantly? Level difference with monsters? Or something else going on?

It is magic skill dependent. The skill you use for spellcasting- like sorcery for wizards and sages- is highlighted in purple under the Mental category. You need to get that skill north of 20 for it to start working. I'd say that spells are less resisted more reliably once you have 30 points or more in the skill. So keep pumping that when you level up.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

It is magic skill dependent. The skill you use for spellcasting- like sorcery for wizards and sages- is highlighted in purple under the Mental category. You need to get that skill north of 20 for it to start working. I'd say that spells are less resisted more reliably once you have 30 points or more in the skill. So keep pumping that when you level up.

I figurered as much.

Any other skills i better pump also?

Like Diplomacy (for strange reason i dont see it on my Cleric, but Sage have it)?

Dorateen

Arcane

I figurered as much.

Any other skills i better pump also?

Like Diplomacy (for strange reason i dont see it on my Cleric, but Sage have it)?

Other important or helpful skills to invest points: Invocation to use items, Incantation to use scrolls. Scribe, to learn new spells from books. Arcanum if you want to start using the more powerful spells found later in the game. Music, if you want to use instruments, needs to be high, both for bards or sage. And if you have a thief in the party, you might want to invest in stealth and backstab.

Last edited:

GandGolf

Augur
Conveniently the last day of November just happens to fall on a Friday! Will Cleve be able to fulfill his promise of a November release for version 2 and the manual or will it be yet another deadline missed by a mile?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Ty for answer. Raised magick skill, getting no resists now.

Also, it is possible to win game with 2 tanks, 1 rogue, 1 sage, Rosie, and 3 wizards? Is cleric a must? Also is rogue a must?

Also about skills - do Little Rosy stay for all time? She covers almost all skills for party (no need to invest in them!).

Also can you replace one character with another? (Dismiss 1 and take spot with another 1 you roll).

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Other important or helpful skills to invest points: Invocation to use items, Incantation to use scrolls. Scribe, to learn new spells from books. Arcanum if you want to start using the more powerful spells found later in the game. Music, if you want to use instruments, needs to be high, both for bards or sage. And if you have a thief in the party, you might want to invest in stealth and backstab.

I need reading for everyone who wants to learn new spells? And can my mage learn spells from another school?

Dorateen

Arcane
Also, it is possible to win game with 2 tanks, 1 rogue, 1 sage, Rosie, and 3 wizards? Is cleric a must? Also is rogue a must?

Also about skills - do Little Rosy stay for all time? She covers almost all skills for party (no need to invest in them!).

Also can you replace one character with another? (Dismiss 1 and take spot with another 1 you roll).

You can probably win the game with any combination. I don't think any one class is necessary. I never really took NPCs, put I'm pretty sure she would stay with you the whole time. You can dismiss characters if you want. You can only make your own characters at the start of the game. These characters can be dismissed and will go to the Shrine of the Raptor, but you can add them to the party again. NPCs can be released to wander around their locations, and you can recruit them again as well.

Barter and Diplomacy, I don't think are that important. But Ancient History will help with some riddles. You will find some writings that you need to select a character with a high enough skill in order to read the message.

Scribe is needed to learn new spells from books. It's nice to have, but otherwise, your characters will just pick spells to learn when they level up. Your mages can learn spells that are available to their profession, but these can come from any school. The two most powerful schools, Arcanum and Eldritch, must be unlocked later.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

You can probably win the game with any combination. I don't think any one class is necessary. I never really took NPCs, put I'm pretty sure she would stay with you the whole time. You can dismiss characters if you want. You can only make your own characters at the start of the game. These characters can be dismissed and will go to the Shrine of the Raptor, but you can add them to the party again. NPCs can be released to wander around their locations, and you can recruit them again as well.

Barter and Diplomacy, I don't think are that important. But Ancient History will help with some riddles. You will find some writings that you need to select a character with a high enough skill in order to read the message.

Scribe is needed to learn new spells from books. It's nice to have, but otherwise, your characters will just pick spells to learn when they level up. Your mages can learn spells that are available to their profession, but these can come from any school. The two most powerful schools, Arcanum and Eldritch, must be unlocked later.

But rogue is a must in sense i need for traps? Or Knock-Knock will work for them? Do i need anyone with trap skills?
Also can you learn Cleric (for example) spells from book if you are a wizard?

p.s. Any immune to magic monsters? This would make mage run impossible.

For the record i beat Wizardy 8 with 6 bishops.

Dorateen

Arcane

But rogue is a must in sense i need for traps? Or Knock-Knock will work for them? Do i need anyone with trap skills?
Also can you learn Cleric (for example) spells from book if you are a wizard?

p.s. Any immune to magic monsters? This would make mage run impossible.

For the record i beat Wizardy 8 with 6 bishops.

I had a cleric and a rogue, and liked them both. But a lot of people will say the rogue is not required. For example, locks can be bypassed with a wizard's knock-knock spell.

It's interesting, clerics do eventually get offensive spells like lightning, and you will find cross-class magic between professions. It's just that some get certain spells sooner. And of course there are spells that are exclusive to classes. Like only bards and clerics get the refresh spell, which is pretty helpful. Mages on the other hand will get bless and some curative spells for removing light conditions or sane mind. But healing is not their strong point.

An all mage run sounds challenging but fun. I would only worry about hit points, so you might want 2 warrior types up front to take damage. As far as monster immunities, undead seem to be resistant to cold, and some high level creatures will shake off effects near the end of the game. But through experimenting to see what works, shouldn't be impossible.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

When Eldritch unlocks? I found wizard in Village, he unlocked spell page, but i dont see either _new_ skill for developing for my wizards, no any other sign. Shouldnt it be like Arcanum?

Also, NPCs are crazy powerful compared to PC characters.

Dorateen

Arcane
When Eldritch unlocks? I found wizard in Village, he unlocked spell page, but i dont see either _new_ skill for developing for my wizards, no any other sign. Shouldnt it be like Arcanum?

There is no separate skill for Eldritch. Once you have the Eldritch and Arcanum spell pages unlocked, you can start learning new spells when you find special Eldritch and Arcanum spell books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom