Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Still no manual? :lol:

It took a month but we have one page:

2afaf4943946ebcbf56cc48c2892642152b55b10.png

I am expecting page two before the end of the month.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 6 hours ago
The customer isn't always right here. I'm not Willy Loman. Grimoire is a pretty spectacular game right now and has been played and completed by several thousand people. It will be a better game when it has a manual and some adjustments to balance.

Dorateen

Arcane
I was thinking of the Official Game Player's Guide, and the possibility of combining a strategy hint guide with a manual.

A good example of how this was done before is the user manual for Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven, which is a most excellent and creative resource with detailed narration by the Ur-Mage Klavis Verge. At the end of the book there is a section that outlines a walkthrough for the first quest, and even a notated map of New Sorpigal.

If Golden Era Games produces a manual with hints included, I hope it is done with a dedicated section for spoilerish content separate from the rest of the rules and features of Grimoire.

PEACH

Arbiter
Finished tonight. Initially was gonna post it to the completed thread but felt more fitting in here considering that's where all my other rambling posts have been.

Gonna be somewhat concise because I've said most of my opinions prior, but I thought the game was wonderful through and through. Initially felt like the ending was really abrupt but looking back at the final dungeon it was a great send off to the game and I never felt it overstayed its welcome. Other than lack of a real conclusive climax or finalization to some of the story elements I couldn't be happier with everything. Admittedly I expected to be burnt out by the time I reached the conclusion but all it did was make me want to start over. Think I'll wait for the patch for that but might have to at least mess around in the first act with a new party until that happens.

Took me significantly less time than most people it seems, closer to 70 hours which is likely due to having encounters set to rare during dungeons and none during backtracking / puzzles. I did, however, do almost everything I was able to figure out and the things I explicitly (that is, to my knowledge) missed could be counted on one hand and I intend to go back and fiddle with the remaining couple key items I never found any use for sometime soon.

Surprisingly no puzzles other than the cosmic egg in Act 1 felt too obtuse and no combat other than a scripted fight in the last dungeon really gave me too many issues on Veteran. I had heard about the last dungeon being rough but I didn't even realize anyone was talking about the one I was in until the moment the end screen came up. Enchanted blade / armorplate were staples after every rest I made though and if it weren't for them I doubt I'd have been able to muscle through the game with my mess of a party. Feels like discussing combat depth and balance now is a bit of a fool's errand because of the impending updates but I still do think that if you play half intelligently there's no reason you should need exploits or to lean on any specific skills/spells for an upperhand and if all goes well that should only improve with time.

One thing I think could always use mentioning is that it's really, really pleasant and joyful. I said it before but Cleve has made a game with an incredible amount of personality and warmth that made me smile and outright laugh just about every time I loaded it up to clear out another dungeon or roam another distant location, sometimes mere moments after a tense or eerie situation or depiction of something outright horrific. Rather than grim and self-serious Grimoire is abundant with warmth and heart that was a much needed relief from the approach of so many games. I'd even call it lovely. It's unabashedly silly quite often and I found it all incredibly charming.

Not a perfect game by any measure but I look forward to all future improvements and permutations with great enthusiasm. Certainly my favourite game of the year and one of the biggest pleasures I've had playing games in recent memory, probably ever.

The crackerjack did it :cool:

Ranarama

Learned
It's sad he feels the need to call himself a 'Senior Developer'. Titles are for morons, and titles you give yourself are for insecure morons.

PEACH

Arbiter
Enchanted blade / armorplate were staples after every rest
there's no reason you should need exploits or to lean on any specific skills/spells
:philosoraptor:

Fair enough, though there's more than a dose of hyperbole in every rest I get why that stands out as contradictory and I could've explained more thoroughly.

This quote from Cleve is why I didn't include them initially as exploits or crutches since I figured it was fully expected you use them as you see fit but you're free to make your mind up, naturally:

The only way you should be going through this area is with persistent spells floating around like Armorplate, Magic Screen and Missile Screen ... ready to be jumped at any moment.

I took this to heart when I struggled. Insta kill mobs, impossible to penetrate mobs, etc. Always made sure to keep those, or other buffs like missile shield, haste or gaze reflection up in those areas depending on the foes. Most mobs didn't require any buffs, but those areas that did were risky enough to keep them up constantly.

Last edited:

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
They are finally making a tv show (Pine Gap) about that place ("the enigmatic US/Australia joint defense facility situated in central Australia") where Cleve secretly worked for much of the last 20 years. Watch and find out the real reason that Cleve never mentions Pine Gap, not even on Vault-Co.

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
Version 1.2.0.26
----------------------------------------
+ Maintenance release prior to 1.2.0.30 accompanied by manual.
+ More than 14 bugs that produce asserts fixed and some of them that could not be reproduced were tightened up somewhat to keep the code very clean.
+ Substantial update with many, many issues fixed related to balance.

Game will get much harder for many reasons and easier in other ways.
Many substantial exploits were adjusted to make them far less likely to always work.

* Bonuses moved to 6D8 and 8D6 in character creator
* Assert failure showing certain artifacts to Mr. Nebulon.
* Tower of Knossos crash falling into either shaft on the sides of the web gate
* Vampire and Giant Hand-To-Hand attacks work now
* Poison effects do not interrupt grayscale while resting
* Class changing whenever attributes requirements are met after level 3, all new skills copied
* Characters immortal, no natural death, race-based aging effects and limits implemented
* Fixed Deathstone crashing on death scene before exiting to main menu
* AutoID all monster weapon names so they display correctly in combat
* Mascots only called in ACTION mode, not from INVENTORY interface
* "NEVER?" setting for wandering encounters still produces rare encounters with monsters
* Fixes to super weapons ranges and attacks
* Eliminated duplicate barding kit container found in Lower Tabernacle beneath bunk
* Fixed Q'Orl LOCATE PERSON crash with illegal checkpoint index
* Experience points readjusted for all encounters
* XP for all level ups lowered!
* Resistances adjusted for many monsters to beef up their general combat robustness
* Changed retreat/advance to use integers instead of floating point to compute steps (may fix lockup bug)

... and many other issues related to general balance. Some players may find certain aspects of the game harder while combats are more rewarding in terms of experience points and skill increases.

Weasel
Cleve still cunningly holding back the manual, only to later seize back the limelight from DOS2 with their slightly inferior methods of marine transportation

ocFf8F2.png

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grimoire 1.2.0.26-R Maintenance Update
Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar - GOLDEN ERA GAMES

This update was released before the official manual goes out just to address many issues fixed over the past two weeks.

Critical bugs that cause asserts and glitches involving items and monsters are repaired here as well as some bugs that just cause mildly aberrant behaviour.

Many issues with balance have been addressed in monster XP and in leveling up for players. Game exploits tapered down. I am not sure any of these were really bugs or unintended but feedback has resulted in them being modified somewhat resulting in many combats, particularly boss combats, becoming much harder to insta-kill and insta-win. Monster and player saving throws against all kinds of effects are more likely in the new tables and combat may be more difficult in general.

:bounce:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Played around with the new patch,

I checked the level switching, Indeed I could switch my class at low level but the xp amount does not reset , you still need the same xp to level up so it is still kind of useless

Also a bug/exploit I noticed with the class changing - When switching classes your items remain equipped even if your new class cant use them, if you remove them you can't re-equip though

The new 6d8 / 8d6 allows for new class/race combination at start, for example you can make a drow necromancer now which was not available before. It would still have Shitty mana regen though.

The new monster resistances is a real thing, I immediately noticed my casters are a complete joke compared to my fighters now since the spells barley work.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
There is already a pretty thorough walkthrough guide on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1107532654

Just to clarify, I don't want a walkthrough guide. I've been avoiding the gameplay and hints thread like the plague. What I was saying on the previous page is that if hints are included in the Grimoire manual, I would prefer them to be relegated to the back of the document, in its own section, marked with big "spoilers ahead" warnings.

mondblut

Arcane
So how is the new version in terms of changed balance? I only tried to switch classes and quit immediately, since at level 9 it's just shooting yourself in the foot.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I guess the big difference is that magic is less OP, so that fights cannot be cheesed through, while at the same time leveling up faster means you will get stronger too, which offsets the new difficulty. Overall, just the right change, in my opinion.

And yeah, the XP required for levelup should be reset after a class change.

It would also make sense if all items are automatically unequiped after class change - though I can see that this may require new programming actually, since the equpied items have to go into the inventory. Maybe it's okay to leave this small cheese option to have stronger equipment after class change than what you could actually equip with that class.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 2 hours ago
The NPCs being encountered is fixed for all new games, but the deliberate modification of savegames to reflect original NPC data will be issued shortly between this version and 1.2.0.30 with the manual. This way people can move along in those savegames where there were missing options (like turning over Elias to Vanguard).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So if the bosses now resist everything completely, how do you handle certain fights? Stack up 50 spells of Armour Plate?

I'm kinda doubtful that Cleve has been able to test everything out properly.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
The Felipepe ban keeps being brought up:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
View Profile
View Posts
[developer] 3 hours ago

Do you believe that? It's something people have said. Some people tell a lot of lies. Or maybe they can no longer tell the difference between a lie and the truth, that's probably the case for most of them.

People get banned from this forum because they were doing bad things and bad reviews are not one of those things. For example, FelipePepe has been telling people he got banned for a bad review. After his review was up on this page for two days. It's not the bad review he got banned for.

These are a lot like the people breaking shop windows and setting cars on fire in the United States and claiming it is Trump's fault. Sure it is. Dindonuffin.

There are lot of people around nowadays who can't tell the difference between right and wrong. It's a mistake to think that might be a minority instead of a majority.

FelipePepe got banned for telling people I said my game was totally broken. I corrected him, he corrected me, I banned him for life. FelipePepe will never get permission to post here again.

You insult me, create false quotes from me or make personal attacks on me you will get banned. Just try it and see. I don't care if your friends don't like it and complain about it on some other forum somewhere, I will ban them too. This forum is not for all that hot mess. You got to take your problems somewhere else. I suspect once banned from this forum those sorts of people won't take long to find another subject to flip out over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom