Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 20 minutes ago

Was just putting up a patch for these skill acquisition levels, should be live now. Was trying to balance out classes by denying certain skills until level increases but just assigned certain ones all at first level like Assaying, Bladesmanship. Rangers did have archery set at first level but minimum stats required, got rid of this and just made all rangers have archery by default.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 3 hours ago
Flesh grubs may be reduced in size although I kind of like them that way, they look really formidable but are actually an easy monster.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Steam:
Where is manual and also why do you care about "SJWs"? What did they ever do to you?

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 1 hour ago
So, I was only able to hold down four jobs at times for 25 years, commute 3 hours a day and work until 3 am in the morning, living on 2 hours of sleep for decades because of the sacrifices made by metrosexuals who have never been punched in the face with their hair dyed blue? I am a contractor, so I have no rights of any kind other than the right to be paid. No vacations, no sick leave, no sick days, not even a notice period. It's all I have ever known. The SJW is the natural enemy of the good, the true and the beautiful and they hate anything that is excellent, well done and especially real art created by individuals instead of collectives. They hated the idea of Grimoire before it was even public. Every SJW is a frustrated game developer who wishes they had the balls of steel needed to hold down a real job or contract for a living and produce a game entirely under their own steam. They can't do that, they can only watch somebody else do it and resent them.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 4 hours ago

Grimoire has at least four users logged for over 500 hours of playtime with all endings completed (excepting the new one in V2) so I would say any game that can be played without any bugs encountered for 500+ hours is a pretty watertight game. I was playing Fallout 3 last night on my XBox and encountered two bugs requiring me to restart in less than 20 minutes.
Steam:
Good thing you are having fun while we all wait for manual.
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 1 hour ago

I also waste a lot of time working for a living and eating food, occasionally even showering. It's terrible and a betrayal of my customer base.

I was wasting time celebrating Christmas, back at work now. Manual will be up very soon, there will be an announcement here when it is ready to download.

If you have played previous Wizardry games, especially 6 and 7, you will have no problem playing Grimoire, it's easy.

If you have no experience with these titles and are more used to EOB/Lands of Lore then you might be thrown for a loop by all the stats and skills. This is why I am working on the manual for release within the next few days.

To use a magic item, have a party member "use" it. Click on the USE icon for that party member, then the item you want to use. Your inventory is selected from the inventory scroll bar right below the viewport. Use it to scroll the item you want to use into view when prompted by the "ITEM?" cursor.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 41 minutes ago
Use the Caduceus of Life on dead comrades to revive them or else a "RAISE DEAD" scroll. The "RAISE DEAD" scroll works after they have been dead 7 days and the light has left their eyes. The "RAISE DEAD" spell or scroll also works on characters like the Aeorb and Vamphyri who cannot be revived with the RESURRECT spell (Caduceus of Life). A cleric should get these spells into his spellbook after he goes up a few levels and either selects them to add or else finds a scrollbook.

Grimoire is not necessarily designed to be easy. It's not designed to be convenient or just to click through. It's designed to kill you and your party many times right off the bat. So at least understand that as novel and unexpected as that may be, that's a feature of turn-based old school roleplaying games. They are designed to make you fail quite a bit initially until you start thinking. It is impossible to spam through these kinds of games the way you just drift through the cutscenes of modern games until you reach the end.

Once you learn to really strategize, make use of all items and everything you see or discover in the environment you will begin to find it very easy at the start. For new players in both Wizardry and Grimoire, the game is extremely hard at the beginning, much harder than almost any other game you have ever played. Just spamming through clicking ATTACK on the icons doesn't work for long at all.

P.S. Another fairly useful exploit is to activate shrines and sleep at them. This helps cure a lot of conditions that might otherwise take a lot of work to find the right medicine for. Sleeping at shrines in V2 even cures lycanthropy now if you suspect a party member has contracted it.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Steam:
Game crashes every time when recruiting Little Rosy.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 2 hours ago
There was a patch applied two days ago that was intended to fix this intermittent bug when recruiting a new NPC. Did you get that version ? There was an error created when I worked some on the ID system for party members.

EDIT : Was just able to reproduce this bug. Will fix this immediately, have not seen it previously.

EDIT : Found source of bug, directly caused by new approach to saving NPC data that has been altered due to a stint as a retainer with the party. Fixing it right now, will be posting patch within 15 minutes.

EDIT : 2.0.0.4 up now, tested on four different NPCs and looks to be fixed completely. Had to do with side effects of other changes I made to NPC recruiting to track NPC status changes while they were with the party. Please report if the bug is solved there now and sorry, it was unforeseen consequences of another change made recently.

Steam:
Stuck after prison, After I complete the prison area I emerge into a house with some doors that cannot bo opened or picked despite the map saying there is a way through.
There is a forge as well with a passage way to a dead end.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 4 hours ago
Go back the way you came into the prison and Armory and look for a wheel on the wall to turn. This will bring a ladder down to the surface. If the traps on chests in the Armory are doing too much damage to your low level characters, you can always come back to this area later and loot all the chests now that you have a secret backdoor into the Vanguard Barracks. You will also have access to a forge you can use to upgrade the weapons you loot from the Armory. These changes make the prison start almost as useful as Sanctuary if you need some extra help at the beginning. You just have to survive getting out of that prison with your level one characters and it is not easy.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 4 hours ago
The purple box in skills is a highlight on the spell casting skill for that class, so you know where to add skillpoints to improve their use of magic.

Of course, if that character doesn't have any spells or has to wait a long time to get spellcasting (like Berserker) it doesn't pay to waste many skillpoints on it.

Trying using the "Special Power" in combat for a Berserker (bloody Yin-Yang icon) and you should see their natural breath weapon with "BERSERK" as a second option.

Every time you go Berserk with a very low Berserker skill, you run the risk of attacking your own comrades in battle. As your skill in Berserking improves naturally or by adding skillpoints, you will eventually only rarely attack your own party and instead do much enhanced damage on your opponent in combat.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 4 hours ago
Long time back, changing class occurs as an option much earlier now. Click button beside class in review when it is enabled, it will show you your options.

Since the Patron Argent now works at shrines, it is possible later in the game to keep advancing levels even when the exp is lacking by paying in coin instead. So class switching does not have as high a penalty in required exp pts needed to make next level.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 8 hours ago
Disease can get worse and worse until you find a cure. Trying sleeping at a shrine after it is activated or a magic pool or fountain or you may have to cast cure disease and other healing spells multiple times once it gets bad enough. Whenever a party member is diseased, drop what you are doing and seek a cure. Sleeping with a disease produces all kinds of side effects.

Steam:
Cannot fight. The "Battle" button is permanently greyed out and cannot be clicked on. I can assign each character to do whatever (attack, shield, cast spell etc.) but cannot get the combat to actually start. I can only "Review (orders?) or "End Game".
I use a Windows 10 x 84 bit system.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 8 hours ago
Never seen this bug before. Does each character have a red flag icon ("ready to fight?") on their plate and yet the Battle Button is still greyed out?

I have heard complaints like this before but the player didn't realize one of their orders was invalid so the party remained unable to begin until they have all party members with legal combat orders.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Steam:
New Berserkers start with an axe but they do not start with the axe skill.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 16 minutes ago
They absolutely should. I will check on this now. I already corrected some errors where I was adjusting values on a curve for skill acquisition and the curve ended up taking away the archery skill from rangers until level 2. Sorry about that I will have a look at this right away.

Steam:
Hello. I updated the game just now before starting it and all I get is a black screen. The sound still works and I can hear the intro and then the main menu music, and I suspect that I can still click on things. But I can not see anything as of this update. It worked just fine two days ago.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 16 minutes ago
Try deleting your configuration file and starting up again.

2house2fly

Magister
Steam:
Where is manual and also why do you care about "SJWs"? What did they ever do to you?

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 1 hour ago
So, I was only able to hold down four jobs at times for 25 years, commute 3 hours a day and work until 3 am in the morning, living on 2 hours of sleep for decades because of the sacrifices made by metrosexuals who have never been punched in the face with their hair dyed blue? I am a contractor, so I have no rights of any kind other than the right to be paid. No vacations, no sick leave, no sick days, not even a notice period. It's all I have ever known. The SJW is the natural enemy of the good, the true and the beautiful and they hate anything that is excellent, well done and especially real art created by individuals instead of collectives. They hated the idea of Grimoire before it was even public. Every SJW is a frustrated game developer who wishes they had the balls of steel needed to hold down a real job or contract for a living and produce a game entirely under their own steam. They can't do that, they can only watch somebody else do it and resent them.
Cleve mate, your life sounds fucking miserable.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Well, I paid Cleve $10. He actually did it. Still can't play until I take a trip to Nevada. There is really only one place this game should be played:

inclinevillagesign.jpg

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Steam:
Also check rangers for bladesmanship (or whatever the skill for starter hunter knife is), please. Unless this is already fixed.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 17 hours ago
That was fixed in 2.0.0.2, should be granted bladesmanship at level one in character creation.

EDIT : Fixed now in hot patch 2.0.0.5 works in character creation, Berserker gets axe skill at level one.

Steam:
On change of profession, all the stats are reduced to the minimum stats of the new class - even below the racial stats of Giants, for example. So a Giant changing class loses at least 15 points of strength.
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
This may be a bug with racial stats, will check immediately. Should not go lower than stats for that race.
Definitely a bug, fixed now in patch 2.0.0.6 build.

Steam:
When you exit the prison in the beginning, all the NPC's in town need to be bribed first before you can talk to them - some are even hostile for some reason. Is that supposed to be this way?Don't remember it being that hard to talk to NPC's on my first playthrough.
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
Yes, a stint in prison after you escape should leave NPCs wary of you. Should be able to bribe them, negotiate or else just wait long enough for them to cool off.
Steam:
The bribing itself may be broken. Just loaded up a save game from last year and bribed an "ambivalent" Khan Raji about 30 times without any effect - still can't talk to him. The green bar of friendliness does not increase at all through bribing. It seems to be stuck at 2 points short of max, while at the same time he has 2 points in the red - so maybe that is where the bug is.
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
This can happen if you killed the Princess or his mistress. Is that possible?
Steam:
The burning sound of the lamps (eg. in the Vanguard prison) continues playing even after you step away from the lamps and exit to the surface.
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
Never seen that bug before, must stop at some point because all looping cell sounds are turned off when you move a cell? Please describe how to reproduce that bug.
Steam:
Assaying does not work when the inventory screen is open.
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
Right click now to assay items in inventory screen.
Steam:
The music skill does not seem to increase at all through use now.
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
It does - Bards increase it every 16 successful uses, Jesters every 21 uses. It was just nerfed down from where it used to go up every successful use in combat.
Steam:
Does it count as a successful use when monsters resist the effect of the instrument? Because that's what happens in the beginng all the time.
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
Yes, so the Bard will usually have to manual increase Music initially by adding skillpoints. You can thank the MUH BALINSE for all this nerfing. I liked the way Bards worked for many years but then grognards asked for MUH BALINSE and that's what they got.

Steam:
No axe skill with new made berserker, and my ranger has no swimming skill.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 9 hours ago
I just tested this repeatedly in the character creator and it worked. This is in new characters created in library. All characters should have swimming skill at level one. Never seen this bug and cannot reproduce it.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Steam:
On change of profession, all the stats are reduced to the minimum stats of the new class - even below the racial stats of Giants, for example. So a Giant changing class loses at least 15 points of strength.
GOLDEN ERA GAMES
This may be a bug with racial stats, will check immediately. Should not go lower than stats for that race.
Definitely a bug, fixed now in patch 2.0.0.6 build.

quoted for importance

Giants were hit super hard by this and may now actually be worthwhile

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Cleve, how long did it take you to come up with Grimwah's concept and mechanics? Didn't you lift most of it from Wizardry?

Imagine how long a completely different RPG would take

provided you don't steal someone else's idea

:popamole:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Steam:
there is definitely a bug in NPC interaction. Just ran into Philchit who is friendly towards me (4 green points) and I cannot talk to him either - can only bribe or battle. Bribed him once to see if it helps and still cannot talk.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 35 minutes ago
Will test this now. Nobody else has reported these bugs but that doesn't mean they might not be real. I will see if I can reproduce them. I was just testing Philchit yesterday for stealing and he seemed to work fine.

index.php

Arcane
Version 2.0.0.8 Up, now with more MOLECULEZ !!
27 December - GOLDEN ERA GAMES
There has been a fairly brisk trade going on in micro-issues, minor patches, tiny bug fixes and tweaks since Version 2 went up shortly before Christmas.

Response to the game is good, it is selling really well. I am working on the manual here, mainly adjusting the tables from the games so they are formatted correctly in the glossary and updating them to reflect changes to the data that has taken place in the past couple of months.

The new game feels and plays substantially better than the first incarnation for many reasons. This often happens as a result of feedback from many people playing it for long periods of time. A game as complex as a Wizardry really needs 50 testers playing it full time for a couple of years to get it refined, so Grimoire is only now starting to show the mirror polish of a very well adjusted game. I have tweaked the data so many times to try to fine tune it you would not believe it.

If you have enjoyed playing Grimoire, please write a good review for it. It helps enormously. If just 10% of the people who purchased it this previous week wrote a good review the rating would easily move into Positive and stay there for good.

I will continue polishing it before it moves onto other venues next year but I am proud it was on Steam before it was anywhere else, it is truly a great distribution platform for Independent Game Developers. The support for developers behind the scenes is fantastic, believe me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom