Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Steam review:
I wanted to love it. I wanted to love it. I wanted to love it.

There are so many things about this game that SHOULD make me love it.

Ultimately, the frustrations outweigh the goodness. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go play Wizardry VI instead.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] Posted: 5 Jan @ 12:44pm

Spiky

Learned
With such attitude, it's no wonder that the game is still full of bugs and none really knows (including Steve) what attributes in the game really do.

I will not refund, but I am off to play W7 until this mess gets resolved.

Deleted Member 16721

I think this game is probably amazing and I haven't played it or watched videos of it yet. If Cleve's sense of humor is in it, with this mental ability to create complex systems, this thing must really be what he promised - supreme incline. I'll buy it sometime and play it when I have time to really delve into it, probably with the manual but it's not 100% necessary.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm a bit bothered by the buffs and spellcasting. I'm starting to get into places that have massively annoying enemies that you want to kill before they kill/fuck you up (OREWOOOOOOOOOOOORMS), and for that you need to have the necessary enchanted blades etc up. But instead of lasting for hours on end like in Wiz, they last minutes, so pre-buffing isn't really an option except against bosses with fixed spawns, and given that spellcasters always go last, putting the defences up before you get raped doesn't work very well either. So unless you have neanderthal prescience, not getting caught with your pants down by random encounters feels rather impossible.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I'm a bit bothered by the buffs and spellcasting. I'm starting to get into places that have massively annoying enemies that you want to kill before they kill/fuck you up (OREWOOOOOOOOOOOORMS), and for that you need to have the necessary enchanted blades etc up. But instead of lasting for hours on end like in Wiz, they last minutes, so pre-buffing isn't really an option except against bosses with fixed spawns, and given that spellcasters always go last, putting the defences up before you get raped doesn't work very well either. So unless you have neanderthal prescience, not getting caught with your pants down by random encounters feels rather impossible.

I noticed this too, and that's why I hardly ever use them. If you're finding that you can't live without them you might have other issues with your party. With oreworms, I was setting all my guys that were faster than the bard to attack and everyone slower to defend. Then the oreworms would never get a chance to spit that rust acid. I'm finding that speed is the most important attribute the further you get into the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If you're finding that you can't live without them you might have other issues with your party.

It's not really that I can't live without them, more like that I sorta question their purpose outside bossfights.

I am fairly sure I have issues with my party tho, but such is life with blobber blind starts (e.g. I also fell into the drow wizard trap).

Dorateen

Arcane
If you're finding that you can't live without them you might have other issues with your party.

It's not really that I can't live without them, more like that I sorta question their purpose outside bossfights.

I am fairly sure I have issues with my party tho, but such is life with blobber blind starts (e.g. I also fell into the drow wizard trap).

Are you casting Armorplate and Enchanted Blade at the highest power level yet? As your characters increase their magic skill, and can regularly keep up level 7 pre-buffs, the duration is longer and it becomes less of an issue.

As far as the drow wizard,

There are items later in the game that when equipped will increase your character's magic regeneration rate. Soon, even a drow can be close to or effective as the typical recommended spell casting races.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 31 minutes ago
There is no DRM, there is only additional content. The policy of Grimoire from the beginning is to avoid DRM if at all possible and trust the users. A lot of snowflakes have pirated the software anyway but the truth is, they are even bigger ratbags than I have accused them of being. I like DRM free products myself, they are much more convenient. I think I have purchase BLOOD from Monolith at least 6 times now over the years and recently bought it again on GOG.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
7 January - GOLDEN ERA GAMES

Version 2.0.0.10 Up, Manual SOON!

Have put an updated build on Steam that fixes a possible glitch in inventory management and a couple changes to configuration to protect users from screwing up their own configuration file so badly they have to delete it to get the default.

You should not be able to set a screen mode or scaling in configuration unless fullscreen mode is first set to ON. Otherwise both these values will remain at defaults for a windowed mode. I suspect this might solve some problems where users toy with their configuration file and set something like a windowed mode with scaling and a different screen resolution on.

Working on the manual every day, should be out by this Friday. Almost all Grimoire milestones are due next Friday and this one is no different. The manual is bound to come out by next Friday.

Spiky

Learned
Lollipop - Down down down - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vILS6KvpUPM
yD8e8eD.png

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Disable random encounters then. Cast Danger Sense and you will always know where the encounters are. Will still be a pain, once you see how many of them are in certain maps.

And talking about Armorplate, if your chars have capped max AC, does it even do anything?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Disable random encounters then.

I'd rather not. Probably an easy way to get underlevelled and have your party get wiped by everything late game, resulting in angry misinformed reviews by certain brazilians.

Honestly it's probably just something you learn to live with, and I'd rather do that.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I played without random encounters for most of the game, only grinding when it was obvious that I couldn't deal with normal fights. All of my guys were over level 10 before the endgame had even started.

Do note that I was only grinding cost-effective mobs tho.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I played without random encounters for most of the game, only grinding when it was obvious that I couldn't deal with normal fights. All of my guys were over level 10 before the endgame had even started.

Do note that I was only grinding cost-effective mobs tho.

Can you reach level 11 if you grind a bit and keep encounters up?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Steam:
I was wondering about the spells on level up: Is it a bug or a feature that you always get to choose only two spells right away and the rest can be chosen by clicking on the spells button on the stat screen?

It just doesn't seem to make much sense and people may not see that button to choose more spells.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 2 hours ago
This spells problem is being fixed, along with a new "Lm" icon indicator to show you that you still have magic spells to choose from your last levelup along with skills and attributes. Next update to be released at same time with manual.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Steam:
One more thing: When you cast Recharge, shouldn't it ask you which item? Right now the spell does nothing.
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 10 hours ago

Will look at these as soon as I finish the manual.

Steam:
It is the magical manual Friday!
Almost! I am so sick of working on it, will release it shortly as-is. I have a couple more hours of work on it. I can always issue an update for the manual. It is pretty thorough. I did not want to leave anything to chance so the crybaby snowflakes will be able to claim they couldn't play it without a manual. 99.5% of RPG games have a two page flyer to explain the basics, Grimoire will have a comprehensive manual to cover its inner workings. Then at long last, it will be finished.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Spiky

Learned
Steam:
One more thing: When you cast Recharge, shouldn't it ask you which item? Right now the spell does nothing.

Will look at these as soon as I finish the manual.
in other words, he will never look at them

Actually, he has been very quick with patching bugs that people report.
I have to agree with this one. But that part about manual makes me worried

Larry Soot

Literate
Ho shit, guys! I've started playing this game a couple of days ago and it's absolutely mesmerizing how deep and fun it is. It's always great to see the dev actively supporting the game after release, too. Probably the best gaming experience I've hand in a while. Highly recommended.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom