Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Gunnar

Arbiter
What about Archery, what's so great about it over other weapons that I have to invest in another skill, Accuracy? It has range but I hardly noticed Range as an issue when I played before with a mix of melee weapon types. I also noticed some high level crossbows can't be used by back row types.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The most powerful weapons in the game are firearms, where Accuracy comes in handy too. The big drawback of course is that the laser guns are limited to several hundred shots in total. Don't know how many batteries you get when you start at the Sanctuary, but after that you can find batteries for 500 shots within the game. The Djinn can give 100 more if you ask for it.

I guess you can limit the use of firearms to really powerful enemies - the question is whether it is really worth it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Did anyone check if the laser guns no longer deplete all 100 charges in one shot?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Crafting:
I am making some slight modifications to crafting, the next update they should be easier to apply at whatever skill you have. The AC Bonus on armor that has been Forged will still atrophy under hits in combat but it will get a saving throw. The other crafts, if you have them at all, will always result in at least one point of Sharpen/Poison/Forge/Enchantment on that weapon.

Will look at a way to make it more intuitive. I think I am going to make all crafts succeed even with skill levels of zero, with the skill simply permitting > more poison > more sharpened > more forged as now. But even a skill level of zero in the required skill (needs to be made intuitive which skill that is) will produce a poison of 1, a forge of 1 point, etc.

Next update.

Special Keys:
Use Ctrl-U and the Shift key to look around corners. Alt-K is stealth mode if you hold down the Windows start key while you are moving in Stealth mode.

Super secret easter egg:
The Demonhead Coin is used in the largest Easter Egg in the game. To date, nobody has ever found it.

Cael

Arcane
The Rhattu might be another one with higher damage.

I don't think Rhattu inflict that much damage, but they do cause disease on a successful hit. Funniest thing for me, was seeing our party's rat sage dressed in robes and trying to act all intellectual, suddenly attack and gnaw on some enemy like a rabid animal.

A true Sage of the Diogenes school.
There better be alcohol involved... Wait, that is Dionysius...

Gunnar

Arbiter
When you use a crossbow, does the damage of the arrow you are using get added to the damage of the bow? (that adds up to a lot of damage if so) Does anyone know what the best arrows are? Sleeper arrow seems pretty good. Is there any reliable means of purchasing or obtaining good arrows in the game?

Did anyone check if the laser guns no longer deplete all 100 charges in one shot?

I just checked and It's still depleting all charges in one shot for me.

Efe

Erudite
i neither got firefarms nor recharge but cant you recharge gun or batteries?

Gunnar

Arbiter
Archery seems crippled by a lack of access to arrows. I can see not having them for sale since gold is so broken but there should be a vending machine somewhere where I can at least trade in tokens for stacks of good arrows. What about Matter Clone? What stacks does it duplicate? I tried it on some ammo stacks and some berries but it wouldn't work.

Dorateen

Arcane
Archery seems crippled by a lack of access to arrows.

Isn't there an arrow/ammunition vending machine in one of the Kublai Axis buildings? I've seen this subject raised before. I reached the end game with a quiver (the special container that holds about 16 stacks) full of assorted arrows, plus each character had a stack of arrows in their designated equipment slot. I'm not saying that arrows aren't scarce at the beginning of the game... but I thought there were enough drops from mid game to finish, to keep a character with archery well supplied.

Gunnar

Arbiter

Isn't there an arrow/ammunition vending machine in one of the Kublai Axis buildings? I've seen this subject raised before. I reached the end game with a quiver (the special container that holds about 16 stacks) full of assorted arrows, plus each character had a stack of arrows in their designated equipment slot. I'm not saying that arrows aren't scarce at the beginning of the game... but I thought there were enough drops from mid game to finish, to keep a character with archery well supplied.

Yes, it's there in Kublai Axis, thanks!

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
IIRC, Early game you can buy arrows from the smith at the first city, you could steal/buy all his stuff and he would update his inventory.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Archery simply is not worth it. You can go through the hassle of having a character that needs to be supplied with ammo... or you can simply hit the foes eight times on your turn.

It *might* have been if enemy casters stuck to back row, but as it is the big bad are always first row anyway.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Archery simply is not worth it. You can go through the hassle of having a character that needs to be supplied with ammo... or you can simply hit the foes eight times on your turn.

It *might* have been if enemy casters stuck to back row, but as it is the big bad are always first row anyway.

You can use lethal blow with Archery. The advantage of Archery is having the sleep or stun effects applied to each attack, which seems pretty great and better than any other weapons in theory. The main drawback being that you have to invest in Accuracy. There are some other minor issues too, like futzing with ammo, and they're all *fragile*, and it takes a while to find good arrows and a lethal bow.

I haven't looked at slings yet but I remember you can get one that causes stun, ("Necktwister") but I can't remember if it gets lethal blow or not, which would make all the difference. Slings are missing from the wiki.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, the way Grimoire plays, a fast archer *could* have a very critical place (since casters act last). But in practice you get more bang for your buck (and shorter fights) just by investing in melee.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

I thought so from testing but you have to find them to use them. Was thinking of putting some more arrows in supermixes.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Yeah, the way Grimoire plays, a fast archer *could* have a very critical place (since casters act last). But in practice you get more bang for your buck (and shorter fights) just by investing in melee.

I may be missing something here as I've never run an Archer: Do Archers not get to shoot multiple arrows if you invest in speed?

cant you recharge gun or batteries?

Good idea, though it doesn't work that way. The Recharge spell is for magical charges only. I just tried it.

Matter Clone spell should create quantity.

Matter Clone doesn't work on ammo stacks or anything I've tried.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Pretty much. I've actually had some success with the siege arbalest, because the damage can be obscene, but the need to juggle ammo is a bitch. It's also heavy as fuck. But in practice there's little reason to use it over a halberd that effectively can reach any enemy anyway, is 10 times lighter and doesn't need restocking. Although if the manual is to be trusted, then shooting is natively more accurate when attacking more distant rows compared to normal waffen, but that can probably just be emulated with enchanted blade.

Do Archers not get to shoot multiple arrows if you invest in speed?

They do, even with crossbows.

Gunnar

Arbiter
If I'm getting the same number of attacks as any other weapon, get the same chance to lethal blow as any other weapon, why not add sleep or stun on top if I fail to score a lethal hit? How is it not better?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If I'm getting the same number of attacks as any other weapon, get the same chance to lethal blow as any other weapon, why not add sleep or stun on top if I fail to score a lethal hit? How is it not better?

Lemme repeat: the siege arbalest (which is the best bow I've found so far) is obscenely heavy, and stacks of 99 arrows are also pretty damn heavy, and since the stacks can't be separated, and they are all in x99 stacks in the Kublai arrow vending machine... :M

Gunnar

Arbiter
Okay, but that seems like a problem you can plan for, like make archery guy have lots of strength? Seems bow would also have a better chance to lethal blow if its more accurate as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom