Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Now he's stuck at 35 swordsmanship (prob because he gets it up to 50 from the ring of swordsmen) and it also just won't go up at all.

Yep, removed the ring and it suddenly started going up again. $5 says it'll stop at 50 once more.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's probably related to the automatic increases of resistances which Cleve recently implemented. Those max out below 100 and he probably thought it's good idea to limit automatic skill increases as well.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's probably related to the automatic increases of resistances which Cleve recently implemented. Those max out below 100 and he probably thought it's good idea to limit automatic skill increases as well.

No, he's been stuck like that for a long time, even before V2. Everyone else keeps advancing their shit to 100 like normal.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In related news,

I removed the ring and equipped it again.

Suddenly guy starts advancing in swordsmanship again (he's now at ~60).

Arcanum still stuck at 50 and refuses to budge though, and lockpicking hasn't increased by itself since it went to 50 as well. Otoh I could grind swimming/climbing to 100 on him just fine.

:neveraskedforthis:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Is Magic really unreliable in this game or does it get better? Seems like everything is resisting my Wizard, Bard and Necromancer like crazy even after a few levels and points invested in the respective skills to enhance casting (although I'm not sure if that actually has an effect on status / ailment infliction rates or not).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
A part of it is figuring out the weaknesses of the enemies and what spells they are more susceptible to. In the beginning, try using Chilling Touch for pure damage attacks, it's pretty effective.

Also, put all your available points into the magic skill of the spellcaster and always cast a level or two below the maximum available one (until you max out the magic skill).

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
A part of it is figuring out the weaknesses of the enemies and what spells they are more susceptible to. In the beginning, try using Chilling Touch for pure damage attacks, it's pretty effective.

Also, put all your available points into the magic skill of the spellcaster and always cast a level or two below the maximum available one (until you max out the magic skill).

In the beginning, Magic Missile and Chilling Touch should be your meat'n'potatos spells for simply smashing out damage. Later they do not produce enough damage against tougher monsters but initially those are intended to be workhorse spells.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, magic missile is effective, multi-target and doesn't tend to fizzle. Before I got hold monsters I used to fire it up all the time. Chilling touch otoh in my experience used to be resisted more often than not.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Blessed siege arbalest + demon killers vs Shelach.

d96.jpg

I really liked Skulheim a lot in general.

Edit: Oh fuck there's still the Psychopomp :shredder:

Edit2: Well, the Psychopomp was probably the fight of the game for me so far :shredder:

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, to come back to our earlier deliberations about the validity of ranged weapons:

I got Winged Justice from the chest in the princess's cell. It's a crossbow that has 8d8 damage, lethal, 24 bonus to hit. I'm now running around with it and a stack of drain arrerz (additional +4d6 damage and life drain) and shit is absolutely hilarious.

As to slings: I found a potentially cool one called Nevermiss that does 6d6 damage and has a 50 bonus to hit, together with a stack of 116 krakklers, which give another 2d4 and +20 to hit. Sounds okay, right? Well, no. Because the krakklers weigh 2.1 lbs a piece (compared to 0.3 lbs an arrow), and the stack of 116 (that can't be separated) puts even a 70 str guy (with other gear) at 300% encumbrance + disallows the use of shields. Sooooooo, yeah, I'm pretty sure slings are a waste of time.

Gunnar

Arbiter
As to slings: I found a potentially cool one called Nevermiss that does 6d6 damage and has a 50 bonus to hit, together with a stack of 116 krakklers, which give another 2d4 and +20 to hit. Sounds okay, right? Well, no. Because the krakklers weigh 2.1 lbs a piece (compared to 0.3 lbs an arrow), and the stack of 116 (that can't be separated) puts even a 70 str guy (with other gear) at 300% encumbrance + disallows the use of shields. Sooooooo, yeah, I'm pretty sure slings are a waste of time.

This sounds like something that should be fixed. Especially since archery is available to martial classes, while slings are opened up to caster classes as well, (and don't seem to have lethal blow) implying they should be useful to those casting classes.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
First time the Samhain Horror fucked me up, now I defeated him in one round with no casualties. Four Crushing Hands and melee is all it took.

A few other notable things:

- A biting Naga is much more effective than a biting Rhattu. The Naga doesn't even need weapons and does up to 50-60 damage several times per round, even with only 60 in Ninjitsu and Iron Hands. Once those are up, as well as Lethal Blow over 70, that guy will stomp over anything. Except maybe the enemies that require magical weapons.

- Did the Crescent Wilderness after Lalain Falls have Dragonflies before? I don't remember that area being so hardcore.

- Where in the Carnivale Bazaar do you find the Umbilica blade? And did anyone find out how to open that crate in the beginning?

May need to postpone playing through the rest, since now I'm back where I remember everything.

Dorateen

Arcane
- Did the Crescent Wilderness after Lalain Falls have Dragonflies before? I don't remember that area being so hardcore.

Night Lilies, Chlorazoids, Monarch Nettles, Blood Leeches, Treants... and Dragonflies. These monsters populate the Crescent Wilderness. Might have been updated last year, but I remember fighting them when I played.

Speaking of plant life, I always thought this was neat:

The spell Vitality Drain will instant kill plant-based creatures after transferring their vitality points to the caster.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Speaking of plant life, I always thought this was neat:

The spell Vitality Drain will instant kill plant-based creatures after transferring their vitality points to the caster.

Well, except there is hardly any plant that survives the melee attacks of the first round to get to the spells...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
nI18vVa.jpg

What's going on in this tile in Aquavia? My Ranger is telling me that there's something and so is my Wizard's Detect Secret spell, but I couldn't to find any secret switches nor could I walk through the wall either.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The 3 dials are in a different room. This is just a little 1x1 room as far as I can tell.

Edit: Alright, I inspected the room. Seems to be either some fluff or a subtle clue for a puzzle.

Edit Edit: I killed a certain NPC for a key in Crowl. How bad are the consequences of murdering NPCs in Grimwah? People don't seem to like me much, but I can bribe a few of them to be more tolerant, but I'm just wondering is there are game breaking consequences to look forward to.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If you use walkthrough/cheat you can't break the game.

But wanton murder can certainly make your life miserable. I completed the game killing about only six NPCs.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm not trying to go on a murderhobo spree, I merely used the option I had to since I couldn't pick the door and I didn't have Charm nor could I find it. I was just curious to know if it's possible to break the critical path.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Poor Gorlo. Should just hand over the key when asked for it.

I think it's possible to finish the game by murdering everyone, though I haven't heard anyone try it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom