Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire Thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by LESS T_T, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I didn't get a crit in until he went down to ~30% hp, and I have four dudes with maxed lethal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    I don't know if the bosses should be more difficult, but the "Hall of Gorrors" level at the end was pretty underwhelming in my opinion. In Wizardry 7 there were at least a couple that were very difficult, eg. Beast of 1000 eyes.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Personally, I rate Shelach most challenging boss.

^ Top  
  4. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    ... or else complaining they are all too hard.

• Racist Racist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    I slew the Beast of 1000 Eyes with a critical hit about 4 rounds in. I had been killed several times before I learned to develop critical hit on the Fairie Ninja.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    Why not just utilize the difficulty modes?? I'm playing on Superhero and the game is still a total cakewalk.

^ Top  
  7. SevenSidedDice Literate

SevenSidedDice
    I'm using the default party and she only managed to kill two of my characters.

Even with every character at level 10/11, I still fear Monarch Nettles and Dragonflies.

I remember struggling against ?squirrel?s.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, those were the days....

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    I guess the thing is that if you know what you're doing, the bosses become relatively easy.

My first encounter with the Samhain Horror was a clusterfuck where I was glad to defeat him at all with a couple losses. On second playthrough I steamrolled through him in one round. So for a first playthrough where you don't "do everything right", the bosses are quite challenging. For experienced min-maxers, much less so.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. SevenSidedDice Literate

SevenSidedDice
    Definitely agree. I only really started using every mechanic seriously when I entered Nerukruel Pyramid and couldn't escape. I somehow managed to finish Avian Mountains without using Detect Secret most of the time (pushable bricks are a different color) and finished Crowl without knowing about it at all!

This is also why I think having a manual is decline. Discovering how the game works is half the fun, and the rest is when you're OP enough to nerf god-tier bosses. What's amusing is that their cronies are now stronger than the bosses you used to struggle against but you're so damn sharp now that they're hot butter.

Without the manual, people would be stuck and that is a good thing.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. GandGolf Savant

GandGolf
    Did they have the cane of corpus? Fairy ninjas are the only ones who can use it.

^ Top  
  11. Incendax Savant

Incendax
    Started a new game. Cleric + Cleric in the front lines.
    This turned out to be a hilarious horrible mistake.
    Forget the armored clerics of D&D, these guys can't wear squat!
    Even the lowly Thaumaturge can wear leather hats and the cleric can't.
    :negative:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Sacred82 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sacred82
    Grimwah really requires tanks to be tanky. IOW, you definitely want shields, heavy armor and high HP on those two. I now go with Bonus HP on character creation for the tanks. You might say it won't matter in the long run for fighting classes, but it saves you a lot of trouble and most of all time in the beginning.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    DnD clerics originally didn't have any attack spells and were basically bless/prayer or heal bots. They needed a secondary function or it would be boring to play them, hence the armour and blunt weapons. And then 2nd Ed gave them attack spells, and 3.x made them into CoDzilla...

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Incendax Savant

Incendax
    Oh definitely! I’m planning to go Cleric > Templar > Warrior > Berserker. I think everything will be fine once I hit Templar, but hoooooly shit did I underestimate how squishy Cleric would be. This is going to be 10 levels of raw masochism.

^ Top  
  15. Incendax Savant

Incendax
    Yeah, armor and blunt weapons are what I’m used to. I wasn’t even expecting super heavy plate, just some nice chain or scale. Totally blew me away when they couldn’t even wear leather. This is totally my fault though. I completely forgot Wizardry priests have always been a robes class.

^ Top  
  16. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    You will hit Level 6 relatively quickly, but Levels 7 to 10 will take a lot of time. The best time to change class are Levels 6 or 7 in my opinion.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Incendax Savant

Incendax
    I'm seriously tempted by Raise Dead at 10, since I've heard you need that in a few places to use on NPCs. But I suppose I can just buy scrolls of Raise Dead and force restock. How many times does Raise Dead actually come up?

^ Top  
  18. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Raise Dead is not that important - Resurrect works on your own party, if you don't wait too long. There are Raise Dead scrolls and a couple items with the spell.

From what I remember, the NPC's you can raise from the dead aren't even that great and certainly not important (Mistral, Medea, a Ratkin in the Pyramid too I think). Well, there is one exception: the Codex Troll is pretty great, if you are planning to take NPC's into your party. Not sure about Hoth Sagoth or whatever his name is - maybe he can also be raised from the dead, but you need to do the Wastes beginning for that.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Incendax Savant

Incendax
    Assassin vs Pirate.
    These two classes seem very similar, with a slight emphasis on HTH combat versus... whatever the Pirate does.
    Does the Pirate get slightly better item choices or something?

• PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Pirate can wear heavy armour, which the assassin can't. Meanwhile the assassin can use a bunch of things that are otherwise caster exclusive iirc, especially things available only to necros, but I'm not fully sure.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    The Iron Hands and Ninjitsu skills of the Assassin are very useful if you want a hand-to-hand combat guy. In my latest playthrough, the Naga Assassin is ridiculously effective with Ninjitsu and Iron Hands at around 60-70. Once you get Lethal Blow to 70, unarmed combat will also produce instant kills.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Yeah, except for unarmed Lethal Blow you need to be an Assassin or Jester I think. It won't work once you switch to another class.

EDIT: Great, now he deleted his post.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Incendax Savant

Incendax
    Sorry. I thought it was phrased awkwardly. :P

^ Top  
  24. Rpguy Arbiter

Rpguy
    That's why you have the edit option

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Incendax Savant

Incendax
    *Continues the adventure*
    So, I'm pretty sure Dragonflies are either bugged or Cleve is intentionally trolling me. Oreworms are also a giant pain in the ass, since I basically strip down to my underwear and punch them to death. But at least they are not the immediate and profound anal cavity violation of the Dragonfly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)