Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
When you try to scribe id'ed spellbooks bought from npc but can't due to game saying failed to id is that a bug or low Scribe skill?

Are you playing the latest version or a pirated copy? If it's the latest version, this bug should be reported since it's very common.

Shadenuat

Arcane
this game has the most broken Bard class I seen in RPGs.

15 notes disables a second. And TWO spellbooks. Just so Bards could Haste themselves for good measure.

also unlike Wiz games magic is like... wow. it's like, Wiz magic (buffs, disables & remove negative effects) AND other stuff also works. It even has I Cast Fist from Nox.

some things never change though, i.e put everything into SPD. so far for a meme game, this exceeded my expectations, I hope rest of the game holds up to early city and dungeons around it. I feel like things a bit on easy side though, partially due to safe havens, partially to me spending 20 hours on making a party and fixing my mistakes (making drow Cleric named Viconia was bad idea).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I feel like things a bit on easy side though

Increase the difficulty level then.

this game has the most broken Bard class I seen in RPGs.

15 notes disables a second. And TWO spellbooks. Just so Bards could Haste themselves for good measure.

Looks like you are playing a very early pirated version where the Bards were still overpowered.

piracy.png
PIRACY IS WRONG

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is that your thing or something like some other posters putting shit or bad spelling tags everywhere? I have a Steam account you know.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Bard starts stronk but gradually gets less effective as killing stuff becomes more useful than putting it to sleep.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I shall use my own "dislike" button with a picture of everything I think is wrong with RPG design as a retaliatory measure then.

Bard starts stronk but gradually gets less effective as killing stuff becomes more useful than putting it to sleep.
What about their own magic, or multiclassing? And are there no instruments with damage spells?

Also, should I bother with ranged weapons or is ammunition as much a hassle as it usually is?

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What about their own magic, or multiclassing? And are there no instruments with damage spells?

Their own magic isn't particularly better than that of dedicated casters I'm p sure, multiclassung is obviously obvious, and sure there are instruments with damage spells but whacking something in the face with the super monster maul for 60 damage, 4 times, is still somewhat more reliable and faster.

Also, should I bother with ranged weapons or is ammunition as much a hassle as it usually is?

Ranged is a very late bloomer, but once you get one of the top crossbows it becomes one of the most effective weapons in the game, or at least that was the case for me. I recommend just hogging all the arrerz you can find until you get sth like Winged Justice or Legend Maker. Siege Arbalest can also do in a pinch, though by the time you get it you should have better waffen on hand - the special arrerz can be useful sometimes though.

Don't bother with thrown and slings. The former are too rare to be reliable, the latter are kinda bad and the ammo is too heavy which makes them a hassle.

Gunnar

Arbiter
There are very few arrows in the first part of the game, so it takes a long time to even be able to start using archery, whereas the melee counterparts will be busily raising their chosen weapon skill during this time. Archery requires a lot of strength and investment in another skill (accuracy). There are enemies that are immune to arrows unless you cast Enchanted Blade. The animation for firing an arrow takes much longer than swinging a weapon. (when you have high speed you can get ~5 attacks, so it's a noticeable slowdown during fights) While you should be well supplied with found arrows, there is no reliable means of obtaining the best arrows. You are much better off just ignoring archery along with thrown and slings.

edit-put everybody on swords unless making an unarmed assassin, put one guy each on axe, spear or mace if you want.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleveland Mark Blakemore thanks for the great game, I enjoyed it tons, despite some of the odd quirks and weirdo design decisions. In fact I'd even say I enjoyed it more than Wiz7 overall.

Thanks. That comment alone makes it well worth the 25 years of living hell in the 7th circle of the Inferno followed by the loss of all that is dear to me. I am now proud to announce I got my pay stub and I have banked approximately .4 cents an hour for my work on the game total, with .3 cents going to Gabe Newell. I spent it on a protein bar and am now completely broke again. But as good/better than Wiz 7? Well worth it.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does Grimoire actually create an endgame save file like it says in the credits? I'm trying to locate mine for backup purposes. Starting with a new party in Grimoire II would be a travesty.

Incendax

Augur
Is Matter Clone still in the game?
That might be perfect for someone who wants to play a heavy ranged party.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Is Matter Clone still in the game?
That might be perfect for someone who wants to play a heavy ranged party.

Yes, matter clone can duplicate arrow stacks. However, it does not work on anything good. You can't even duplicate Sleeper arrows. I suppose if you were a masochist and wanted to run a bunch (3+) of ranged guys this would be an essential spell, but then you would want to make sure you picked the Eerie Wastes beginning to be able to obtain it before the very end of the game.

Incendax

Augur
you picked the Eerie Wastes beginning to be able to obtain it before the very end of the game.
I’m pretty sure you can go to the Temple immediately after finishing Samhain. You might have to detour and pick up Kroondergraf.

Not that I have any desire to run a ranged party.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 4 Apr @ 7:14am

The game is supposed to be non-casual play with casual completion. By saving your game, you can pick up where you left off a week from now, a month or a decade if you don't feel like playing it. I took a long time to play Wizardry 7 and it was the only game I think I ever had where I turned right around to start a new game and try playing it with different styles and strategies. Fallout 3 had a nice quest system with point-by-point items telling you where to go and how to proceed next. Grimoire is a little tougher and with far less handholding because like Wiz 7 it is intended to be open world most of the time, including the possibility you just discover stuff by wandering and fighting without being on a particular mission.

Cael

Arcane
Imagine having to explain Grimoire to Fallout 3 fans. Poor Cleve is trying to teach sign language to monkeys.
He'd have a better chance teaching monkeys to use a typewriter to write the complete works of Shakespeare.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ugh, random monsters with destroy armor are worse than unidentified wasps at eerie trained to kill brazilians russians on sight. At least with those I don't miss on what can happen.

Well, easy come easy go, goodbye my full set of red wizard robes and hat.

My Necromancer regens mana at strange (lightning fast) rate, is that a red cone hat or necro staff? Well I'm not sad about that, into tornado crazy dwarves go, hop hop.

Incendax

Augur
What race is your Necro?
And yes, after running into those damn ore worms I only bother with indestructible items.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Those ore worms are probably the fastest way to grind levels - at 3000 XP each.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom