Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire Thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by LESS T_T, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Sacibengala Scholar

Sacibengala
    Wish GOG stopped this nonsense and accept this game. It hurts the need to buy rpgs on steam.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    Still necessary?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. sputtering fart balloon Educated Patron

sputtering fart balloon
    Lady Error I meant memes as in being in on Grimoireposting, but thanks, I am reading those now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Valky Cipher Manlet

Valky
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 4
    • Salute Salute x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Sacibengala Scholar

Sacibengala
    ^ Top  
  7. Rpguy Cipher

Rpguy
    Steam:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
    [developer] 19 hours ago

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Valky Cipher Manlet

Valky
    Are the bugfixes and updates simultaneously pushed to the itch.io version of Grimoire when the steamtard version gets them?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    Are you one of the 0.1 hours reviews? How is Anita these days since she ran out of money?

• Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    That used to be in the code a couple years back. I think Shams recommended it. It was sitting in there until about 2014 when I began my final code cleanup to release it. I deleted that line when I looked up what it did.

I took it out, thinking it just more fluff trying to hitch a ride on the mean, lean Grimoire machine of basic vanilla Windows old school.

So there. I admitted it. Shams recommended it, I took it out. I messed up. I'm sorry I cannot keep up with every new version of Windows writing out fake data to fool older versions. So it appears all these scaling problems on some machines are my doing.

This is another reason I am so glad I have moved to Unity where all these issues are handled by the backend rendering engine.

EDIT : Just tried it and it fixed the problem on one of the test machines. Seriously, I really appreciate it. At least this problem will be finally fixed in the next release coming up.

EDIT #2 : ... and SetProcessDPIAware sounds like a neckbeard gay sex function stuck into Windows just to make millennials feel extra special. Can you blame me? Do you know how many of these fluff commands you could stick into your code just to try to cover every eventuality? You can just see the Microsoft guy who wrote that command chugging a monster through a hole in the wall at the local rest stop on the highway.

• Brofist x 7
    • incline x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Racist x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Solanacean Educated

Solanacean
    No one is blaming you, Cleve. Certainly not me. I appreciate all the hard work you've been doing and have a deep respect for you. Please consider using assembly manifest file with dpiAware property set to true rather than SetProcessDPIAware though. It does the same thing but it's safer, cleaner and is recommended by Microsoft.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. biggestboss Learned

biggestboss
    I'm going to buckle down and force myself to beat this game. I played this back at release having paid the full price for incline, but stopped after one of Cleve's patches destroyed my save file.

Time to stare at character creation for a couple of hours.

• incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Solanacean Educated

Solanacean
    I hate to say this, but I believe there's a big fat problem with Grimoire's rendering code: it doesn't seem to be thread-safe at all.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    On this second anniversary of Grimoire Release Day, I wanted to once more praise the quality of the art used for the area transitions. Each screen is atmospheric and evocative of what the party is about to encounter. These images have never failed, not once, to color the tone for every new location.

Breaking Ahriman's hold on Kublai Axis and restoring the Khan Raji to power was one of the greatest triumphs I've enjoyed in any computer role-playing game.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • incline incline x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    What happened to Shams? Is he still around?

^ Top  
  17. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Yes, happy birthday to Grimoire! It's now a two year old Golden Baby (after a 20 years pregnancy)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    And to celebrate the 2nd anniversary, Grimoire is now the 22nd best RPG of all time according to the Codex. Not bad for a one-man project competing with decades of AA and AAA titles.

The only blobber that ranked somewhat higher is Wizardry 8 at #20, while Grimoire overtook its spiritual origin Wizardry 7, which is at #29.

• incline x 4
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Rpguy Cipher

Rpguy

• incline incline x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Yay, a new title screen for a new year. Some traditions should always continue...

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    Logged in after more than a year and have some questions about game options...

Has anyone played with wandering monsters on Onslaught?

Also, how important are Journal hints? Has anyone tried turning them off for increased EXP?

What are adaptive Critical item lock and Tablet robbers?

Thx

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    ^ Top  
  22. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    I have. difficult at the beginning and you have to rest a lot. but you get tons of xp and it all gets pretty easy, quickly.
    I played V1 with the default difficulty and had more problems tbh. "onslaught" is kind of the grinding equivalent, but I don't mind since combat is the most fun and important aspect for me anyway and with that setting you pretty much have a combat encounter per tile.
    note that when you're resting it's very likely that an encounter will interrupt the resting action and that powerful enemies could surprise your party, especially when some of them are still sleeping. therefore I'd recommend setting the wandering monsters to "never" in the starting area, whenever you rest. and save each time before resting, if you leave the setting on "onslaught".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    Critical item lock prevents you from being able to discard quest items. Tablet robbers will make it so that the tablets may be gone from their fixed locations when you get there.
    Show Spoiler
    You can always get the stolen tablets from the White Owl near the end of the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Adaptive Critical Item Lock allows you to drop inventory items that are flagged as "critical". By default, I believe, this is on so that you don't accidentally drop on the ground something that is needed to progress. But being able to discard these items once you are done with them is important for making room in the inventory. You can toggle this option from the menu any time during the game.

Tablet robbing was a feature added in one of the later updates that would increase the chance of NPCs stealing the plot specific tablets before the party reached them. However, I think I was too far into the game to see this working in action. The option in the menu is to disable this completely, so you don't have to worry about missing tablets.

I have suspected that the journal hints option has to do with when you Super ID critical items, there is often additional text in their journal entry giving a clue about its use. I would say the puzzles in Grimoire are difficult enough to unravel, that leaving this option on is worth it.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    very very nice, just like the roaming NPCs in Wizardry 7 that take main quest relevant items if you're not fast enough. I didn't even know that such a feature exists in Grimoire. Kudos, Cleve. :salute:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)