Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

mondblut

Arcane
Is there a big difference in the different starting areas you can begin a playthrough in?

Yes. Prison is very hard. Gardens of Midknight is harder than the Briarpatch, and so is Crowl (Sanctuary start), but the sanctuary itself offers significant bonus. Eerie wastes only have random encounters - word is they are hard too, but can be turned off entirely.

Are they all reachable regardless later in the game?

Only Midknight and Briarpatch are reachable (and Briarpatch has an associated location that can't be entered with other starts).

Eerie Wastes provide the most bang for your buck (large unique dungeon full of stuff), but only way later into the game.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
This isn't the game for you if you can't be arsed to read through the wiki for this stuff.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Is there a guide I can follow to make my party? I can't be arsed to spend hours and hours experimenting before I can even start really playing.

I don't even understand this depth of autism.

Isn't that why there is a QUICK START option? If you want you can just skip all that and jump right in to play. Discover the Character Library later on if you want.

Why does everything with you guys turn into an ordeal, followed by savage gay rape and cannibalism? I don't understand how you get a from a fun, relaxing blobber intended to be a bit of escapist enchanting entertainment to GUYZ I HAVE STABBED MY MOM BECAUSE MY BONSES WRONG 4 MI PARTY WHERE DO I BUY QUICKLIME LATE AT NITE?

Try to relax. Look at the big picture the way Neil does.

rYuqwdp.png

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seriously you asshole, playing a blobber with an indepth character system and not wanting to deal with the character system is already retarded, then you don't want to read the wiki, you don't want to read the thread and you don't even want to take the popamole quick start option? So what the fuck are you doing in this thread, in fact, what are you doing on the Codex?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Seriously you asshole, playing a blobber with an indepth character system and not wanting to deal with the character system is already retarded, then you don't want to read the wiki, you don't want to read the thread and you don't even want to take the popamole quick start option? So what the fuck are you doing in this thread, in fact, what are you doing on the Codex?

what this guy said

get the fuck out

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

what this guy said

get the fuck out
I'd like to read a guide that has the cogent points of character creation instead of a 311 page thread or a wiki. The thread will have huge amounts of irrelevant info and the wiki will record any detail of the game, rather than the ones that are relevant to making a party, along with comments as to which are the ones that matter. In particular I don't give a fuck about the presumably dozens of arbitrary rules concerning changing classes, so I just want to follow a guide for that.

Why is that so hard to understand, triggered autists?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
in that case, oh non-autist who cant do anything without a guide, i recommend you do the unspeakable

roll a party that makes sense and go from there

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The game is chock full of mechanics and has a playtime of hundreds of hours. I could easily 'roll a party that makes sense' only to eventually realise that it did not in fact make sense and that I'm missing class prerequisites or a crucial niche skill or who knows what.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ok in that case lemme share with you

~DARTH ROXOR'S ULTIMATE REASONABLE GRIMOIRE PARTY CREATION GUIDE~
(v 1.0)

1. Introduction

Have you ever played Wizardry? If not, skip to point 3.

2. Information for veterans.

Welcome back. If you've ever played Wizardry, many things in GRIMOIRE: HERALDS OF THE WINGED EXEMPLAR will be familiar to you. You can go ahead and try to recreate your favourite party from Wizardry and enjoy the show. If you're playing GRIMOIRE: HERALDS OF THE WINGED EXEMPLAR for the first time, it's recommended to roll with a balanced party, and not a gimmick one of 8 ninjas.

3. Information for newcomers.

GRIMOIRE: HERALDS OF THE WINGED EXEMPLAR is a game of turn-based blobbery where many things aren't what they seem. Secret buttons in secret places may lead to secret stuff. As such, it is good to roll with a balanced RPG party that would make sense in any other RPG.

What is a party that makes sense, you ask? It's one that has a few meatshields, a few casters, and a few agile/sneaky dudes or hybrids. For example, yours truly started with 3 wammo-types, a ranger, a bard, a cleric, a thaumaturge and a wizard. You don't have to follow this party composition to the T. Many adventures await in GRIMOIRE: HERALDS OF THE WINGED EXEMPLAR, and some tasks may be harder or easier depending on your classes! Also, you will probably take most of your brave mens and womyn on the class-switching rollercoaster down the line anyway, so it's not like this even matters that much.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy GRIMOIRE: HERALDS OF THE WINGED EXEMPLAR responsibly.

hory pieces of cow sometimes i even amaze myself

ManaJunkie

Arbiter

what this guy said

get the fuck out
I'd like to read a guide that has the cogent points of character creation instead of a 311 page thread or a wiki. The thread will have huge amounts of irrelevant info and the wiki will record any detail of the game, rather than the ones that are relevant to making a party, along with comments as to which are the ones that matter. In particular I don't give a fuck about the presumably dozens of arbitrary rules concerning changing classes, so I just want to follow a guide for that.

Why is that so hard to understand, triggered autists?

Creation guides = smattering, superficial knowledge (most of them)

V_K

Arcane
Welcome back. If you've ever played Wizardry, many things in GRIMOIRE: HERALDS OF THE WINGED EXEMPLAR will be familiar to you. You can go ahead and try to recreate your favourite party from Wizardry and enjoy the show. If you're playing GRIMOIRE: HERALDS OF THE WINGED EXEMPLAR for the first time, it's recommended to roll with a balanced party, and not a gimmick one of 8 ninjas.
Party creation was actually much less painful in Wizardry because it has less bloat - fewer characters, fewer races and classes, fewer stats... Not much fewer but it all adds up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom