Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
I have never mentioned it on the Codex but one of the scariest things I have ever strongly desired to make a survival horror game about was the Heaven's Gate cult and Marshall Applewhite.

The idea that a guy could talk you into cutting your own testicles off and get you to take potassium cyanide is really, really disturbing to me.

I had a dream about it back in 2010 and always wanted to make a survival horror game about it.

The story always intrigued me too and remember visiting the Heaven's Gate website shortly after the mass suicide. The lore etched itself into my mind by nightly sky gazing. The looming comet slowly moved further across the sky each night. I would imagine the spaceship that Applewhite had spoke about trailing in the comet mist and the suicide group living their new life aboard.

still, while you addressed a very minor inconvenience, all the retardness stands tall, high and mighty, towering but ignoring 30 years of technological progress. while it might be fun to drive a ford t for a mile or two, it's not sign of great intelligence shouting at the world after that trip "the ford t is the fastest, safest and most comfortable car in the world".
This is a retarded comparison. Grimoire is more like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_German, where a modern-day filmmaker deliberately made something that looked anachronistic. Film-making technology has improved since the 1940s, but it's largely a matter of taste whether you prefer old films to new ones.
so basically "it's shit for what it is".
it's not "a matter of taste": the three rolls is inexcusable when even roguelikes went past that absurd limit, lack of informations is lack of informations, bad music is bad music, bugs are bugs, it's like driving the aforementioned ford t and when a piston blew up, with dense smoke choking you and the seat killing your back, you comment "old times were so good".

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
still, while you addressed a very minor inconvenience, all the retardness stands tall, high and mighty, towering but ignoring 30 years of technological progress. while it might be fun to drive a ford t for a mile or two, it's not sign of great intelligence shouting at the world after that trip "the ford t is the fastest, safest and most comfortable car in the world".

Grimoire is a game from a time 20 years in the past with all this entails. It pulls no punches, and at first can look overwhelming and punishing, but it's actually not that hard to learn it. However, you have to be willing to learn. You're telling me about addressing a "very minor inconvenience" - everything you complain about is a set of very minor inconveniences. You just have to turn off the autopilot approach and start thinking and experimenting.

Or you can read the manual, or you can read the wiki, which is very informative, particularly's the beginner's guide. Or you can read both. Or you can step away in butthurt because zumg a game didn't spell something out to you in big neon signs during a forced tutorial. The choice is yours.

Martyr

Arcane
Heaven's Gate is cool and all, but with "only" 39 dead it almost seems like a Disney adaptation of something far worse, like Jonestown's 909 corpses:

image.jpg

NODVXJXJDYI6RKJZSRU7CFTPTU.jpg

Cleveland Mark Blakemore if you're interested in this sort of stuff, you might want to check out Sagebrush - a 2 hour long walking sim. sort of like Gone Home, but set in a former religious cult campsite. and without homo content, obviously.

Or you can step away in butthurt because zumg a game didn't spell something out to you in big neon signs during a forced tutorial.
see, this is where your obtuse retardation truly shines the most.
wizardry 8: new game, here's a selection of characters and the chance to make yours. right click anything to your heart's content and i'll explain everything. sorry, you can't make this combination of race and class because you lack these requisites.
grimoire: story, just text. oh well, fine. QUICK START! QUICK! START! BE QUICK! CLICK ME and now fuck off i won't tell you shit. library: library? a collection of books, right? no, here's where you create new characters, i know it makes no sense and now fuck off. here, pick this race which gives bonus to TGG, AFD, MRE and PRZ. i guess you'd like to know what those stand for, right? fuck off. i'm also telling you these rats would be perfect assassins but i won't let you make one because fuck off.

knights of the chalice is a homage. this? this is just another derek smart wannabe.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
it's not "a matter of taste": the three rolls is inexcusable when even roguelikes went past that absurd limit, lack of informations is lack of informations, bad music is bad music, bugs are bugs, it's like driving the aforementioned ford t and when a piston blew up, with dense smoke choking you and the seat killing your back, you comment "old times were so good".

There are no bugs left, unless you pirated an early version of the game. There is no lack of information either. This is a game for those who loved Wizardry 6 & 7 - it's basically the same mechanics and many quality of life improvements.

There are no bugs left, unless you pirated an early version of the game. There is no lack of information either. This is a game for those who loved Wizardry 6 & 7 - it's basically the same mechanics and many quality of life improvements.

eoj0lyt.jpg
eoj0lyt

shut your cunt hole you fucking twat. at least dumb roxor is only obtuse, your blatant lying is worthy of a trump supporter.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
see, this is where your obtuse retardation truly shines the most.
wizardry 8: new game, here's a selection of characters and the chance to make yours. right click anything to your heart's content and i'll explain everything. sorry, you can't make this combination of race and class because you lack these requisites.
grimoire: story, just text. oh well, fine. QUICK START! QUICK! START! BE QUICK! CLICK ME and now fuck off i won't tell you shit. library: library? a collection of books, right? no, here's where you create new characters, i know it makes no sense and now fuck off. here, pick this race which gives bonus to TGG, AFD, MRE and PRZ. i guess you'd like to know what those stand for, right? fuck off. i'm also telling you these rats would be perfect assassins but i won't let you make one because fuck off.

knights of the chalice is a homage. this? this is just another derek smart wannabe.

No one is going to deny that Grimoire is hard to get into, but you're making it sound like it's downright impossible to play, while this very thread is full of people who will strongly disagree because they have in fact played it to completion. And mind you, many of them played this at release, when it was even less accessible.

I also find it funny how you say this game isn't a homage after playing it for... 15 minutes? before ragequitting? Truly a lot of time to make an informed opinioun of its content. Also, if you played Wizardry 7 before, your start here would have been much less painful because, wait for it, Grimoire is a homage to Wiz7. Many of its elements are lifted straight from that game, and things like the stats, spells or skills wouldn't even make you bat an eye if you played Wiz7. Also, if you tried playing Wiz7 blindly without reading the manual, odds are you would also be in for a bad time.

On another note, are the stat abbreviations really so obscure as to be completely unreadable? Because I would assume INT, WIS, SPE, AGI are pretty obvious, and apart from a few resistances, it certainly doesn't have anything as arcane as the 'TGG, AFD, MRE and PRZ' you mention.

Also, you appear pretty upset. There is no reason to be upset.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
your blatant lying is worthy of a trump supporter

This explains a lot. A liberal in Italy, who is fine with his country being overrun by third-worlders, displays the famous "tolerance" of the left with his dumb insults. And throws a childish tantrum that a game is not dumbed-down to his mental abilities.

No one is going to deny that Grimoire is hard to get into, but you're making it sound like it's downright impossible to play, while this very thread is full of people who will strongly disagree because they have in fact played it to completion. And mind you, many of them played this at release, when it was even less accessible.
autism simulator, as i already said.
I also find it funny how you say this game isn't a homage after playing it for... 15 minutes? before ragequitting? Truly a lot of time to make an informed opinioun of its content. Also, if you played Wizardry 7 before, your start here would have been much less painful because, wait for it, Grimoire is a homage to Wiz7. Many of its elements are lifted straight from that game, and things like the stats, spells or skills wouldn't even make you bat an eye if you played Wiz7. Also, if you tried playing Wiz7 blindly without reading the manual, odds are you would also be in for a bad time.
"it's shit for what it is", as i already said. being an exact copy of an old, obsolete, dangerous to drive, polluting piece of crap of a car doesn't make it any better. there's plenty of good old games which didn't stand at all the test of time, no shame in admitting it. just being old and horrible doesn't improve their quality.
On another note, are the stat abbreviations really so obscure as to be completely unreadable? Because I would assume INT, WIS, SPE, AGI are pretty obvious, and apart from a few resistances, it certainly doesn't have anything as arcane as the 'TGG, AFD, MRE and PRZ' you mention.
sure, but what's the effect of agi? does it add to to hit? or it doesn't, as many old rulesets did? adds to dodge? to pickpocket? to nose picking? the game won't tell you, it's just an acronym followed by a middle finger.

Also, you appear pretty upset. There is no reason to be upset.
lies, stupidity and obtusity upset me to no end.

This explains a lot. A liberal in Italy, who is fine with his country being overrun by third-worlders, displays the famous "tolerance" of the left with his dumb insults. And throws a childish tantrum that a game is not dumbed-down to his mental abilities.
you couldn't be farther from reality. not that i didn't know that alreay, it shows. now fuck off to ignore list.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
!!!!!!!!!npc-mask.jpg

eoj0lyt.jpg
eoj0lyt

shut your cunt hole you fucking twat. at least dumb roxor is only obtuse, your blatant lying is worthy of a trump supporter.

Game is not for you. You only played 15 minutes so get a refund and go away. Grimoire requires a soul, an IQ above room temperature and exposure to the greatest RPGs ever written - Wizardry 6 & 7 by David Bradley. You are an NPC and there are plenty of games on Steam for your demographic, too - like SHOWERING WITH DAD and many others.

Here's a link to get you started. No need to be butthurt, see you later - or never.

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/6856767-Queer-Games/

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
sure, but what's the effect of agi? does it add to to hit? or it doesn't, as many old rulesets did? adds to dodge? to pickpocket? to nose picking? the game won't tell you, it's just an acronym followed by a middle finger.

grimwah.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sure, you could argue these things aren't given in the character generation screen. But you said yourself that you went with quick start first, so you should have seen them. Not to mention all of this is also mentioned in the manual.

Also what's with all the negativity man, I'm trying to help you out here. It's only a game, you don't have to be mad.

go create a character and tell me again you have those informations. please do. i don't need them when the choices have been already made, i need them before. even more concentric retardation from derek smart jr.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

keep eating dicks and say they taste like chocolate, i won't be part of your party.

autism simulator, as i already said.

"it's shit for what it is", as i already said. being an exact copy of an old, obsolete, dangerous to drive, polluting piece of crap of a car doesn't make it any better. there's plenty of good old games which didn't stand at all the test of time, no shame in admitting it. just being old and horrible doesn't improve their quality.

lies, stupidity and obtusity upset me to no end.

you couldn't be farther from reality. not that i didn't know that alreay, it shows. now fuck off to ignore list.

go create a character and tell me again you have those informations. please do. i don't need them when the choices have been already made, i need them before. even more concentric retardation from derek smart jr.
Go play Disco Elysium or The Outer Worlds, casual.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
At Jonestown, they basically forced women and children to drink this stuff and shot men trying to escape.

With Heaven's Gate, you have this bald gay man with a lovely speaking voice and he incrementally moves you towards the idea of chopping your own cock and balls off to make it sound like a natural choice for any Star Trek fan and people who are forward thinking. Then some comet flyby and he's got these poor bastards, already castrated, drinking cyanide to make sure they get a seat on the spaceship. Seriously, Marshall Appelwhite was a major world class troll with kung-fu grip on the human brain. All just through these soft slow conversations and dialectics, like a gay Mr. Rogers who introduces a segment on his show titled LET'S CHOP OUR DICKS AND BALLS OFF for the kids. "Have you ever fantasized about a magical journey where you chop off your dick and balls? The adults call that 'castration' but my special name for it is 'making smooth hole.' Can you imagine how you might someday get your balls and dick removed by a friendly Mexican surgeon using rusty unsanitary medical equipment? We can all dream."

Still here? What's wrong? I thought you would have your refund by now.
on your contrary, mr crossdressing derek smart, i like to understand and make others understand. at least where it's possible. roxor seems like he's started discussing, everyone else of you just foxholed inside your own safe space made of preconceptions, refusing to listen to anything, and are ready to die there. i won't try to move you.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

on your contrary, mr crossdressing derek smart, i like to understand and make others understand. at least where it's possible. roxor seems like he's started discussing, everyone else of you just foxholed inside your own safe space made of preconceptions, refusing to listen to anything, and are ready to die there. i won't try to move you.

Remember, everybody understands except you.

The game was rough in V1 and it needed the hints it has now and the manual for people who really got stuck. As of V2, anybody who thinks Grimoire is just not accessible should not be playing Grimoire - at all. You are not a target demographic for Grimoire and I knew that 25 years ago. Grimoire will never be for you, ever.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Here I found a game I know will grab you, it's tailor made for you : https://store.steampowered.com/app/654880/Dream_Daddy_A_Dad_Dating_Simulator/

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Hopefully you'll be as entertaining of a clown as Zep.
It confuses me to no end what makes casuals like you think that every game is for them. This game is not made for you, you are not the target audience. It's a country on the other side of the world and you are trying to illegally immigrate to it, loudly complaining to border patrol that they cater to your existence, when in fact you do not belong and never did. Nobody wanted you to play this game in the first place. It is a product that you have no right to touch. For anyone with a room temperature IQ, read the fucking manual and then make a party. Sorry the game doesn't hold your hand.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Reading the manual is so 1995. In 2019 the game ought to read the manual to you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom