Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

mondblut

Arcane
^

UYXAswH.png

I am not clicking on this.

kryminator

Augur
I have just entered GOG page and started to browse winter sale deals and after not finding anything interesting I came back to main page and noticed that there is Grimoire on GOG. What a fortunate coincidence. I thought it was someway rejected by GOG but here it is. The one and only. The Incline. At least I hope so. Never played it, but insta bought obviously so will check it out after finishing my current BB campaign.

Does it work on Windows 10, bros?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The great news made me check out the Steam reviews where I saw

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003193269/recommended/650670/
From the very Cleveland Mark Blakemore's words:

"Did you know that statistically speaking, you are more likely to be bashed to death by another gay man, in a gay bar or bathhouse ... than you are by a supposed "homophobe" or "bigot?" It's other gay men you have to fear the most as those most likely to prey on because you are gay."

Because I dared demonstrate how his game was old, obsolete, still bugged and largely inferior to ancient stuff like Wizardry 8 or even to your average zAngband. And it could be done within 20 minutes into the game or even earlier.

Is this really the kind of person we want to support?

Groups RPG Codex
Friends Blaine (also Zombra)

Who bitch this is?

Edit: Nevermind it's MadMaxHellfire https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/grimoire-thread.117563/page-316#post-6401471

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The great news made me check out the Steam reviews where I saw

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003193269/recommended/650670/
From the very Cleveland Mark Blakemore's words:

"Did you know that statistically speaking, you are more likely to be bashed to death by another gay man, in a gay bar or bathhouse ... than you are by a supposed "homophobe" or "bigot?" It's other gay men you have to fear the most as those most likely to prey on because you are gay."

Because I dared demonstrate how his game was old, obsolete, still bugged and largely inferior to ancient stuff like Wizardry 8 or even to your average zAngband. And it could be done within 20 minutes into the game or even earlier.

Is this really the kind of person we want to support?

Groups RPG Codex
Friends Blaine (also Zombra)

Who bitch this is?
This funnyman is none other than MadMaxHellfire, a very butthurt liberal who is incapable of reading a manual or experimenting with gameplay unless his hand is held.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
He's probably only on my friends list because of some Steam game/code/asset giveaway that I've long since forgotten.

Sacibengala

Prophet
can I change the font or at least make it bigger? It is hard to read it in my tiny display.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
can I change the font or at least make it bigger? It is hard to read it in my tiny display.

Cleve doesn't want people with poor eyesight (a disadvantageous and decidedly non-Neanderthal trait, in evolutionary terms) to propagate their genes, nor to play Grimoire.
:negative: I wear glasses.

All Aspergers Syndrome people are nearsighted. It's universal.

It's been suggested that with their nocturnal cycle and lifelong insomnia, the habit of staying up late focusing on books during developmental years warps the shape of the eyeball permanently before it can "set" as it is one of the last parts of the body to reach full maturity.

A study in 1996 found that people defined as "high functioning autists" (completely incorrect classification but will ignore here for purposes of brevity) clearly have stronger muscles behind the eye, in the muscles of the face and neck in addition to the rest of the body. Focusing all night long on book print at short distance with superhuman eye muscles distorts the shape of the eyeball during puberty leading to lifelong nearsightedness. Guess your mom was right. About reading late at night, anyway.

I could now write a 1000 paragraphs more but will stop there lest I drone on. Needless to say, checking the box for "nearsightedness" in the IDF entrance forms in Israel automatically determines if you are considered a candidate for officer school since they have found that nearsightedness is clustered with all kinds of superior traits in a man. Respect to Yoshi for knowing the potential of the rodeo clowns in his midst.

Diggfinger

Arcane
From the manual (introduction):

"This game has no graphic violence, profanity, drugs, nudity or adult situations. We designed it
to appeal to all kinds of people from ages 6 to 60 by simply making the very best game we
knew how. Although the game features both "magic" and "monsters" in an imaginary setting;
this is no way should be mistaken for an endorsement of the occult or the supernatural. We
designed this game for the enjoyment of everyone who plays it at any age."

This game was custom-built for all citizens of Codexia

:brodex:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Cleve doesn't want people with poor eyesight (a disadvantageous and decidedly non-Neanderthal trait, in evolutionary terms) to propagate their genes, nor to play Grimoire.
:negative: I wear glasses.

All Aspergers Syndrome people are nearsighted. It's universal.

It's been suggested that with their nocturnal cycle and lifelong insomnia, the habit of staying up late focusing on books during developmental years warps the shape of the eyeball permanently before it can "set" as it is one of the last parts of the body to reach full maturity.

A study in 1996 found that people defined as "high functioning autists" (completely incorrect classification but will ignore here for purposes of brevity) clearly have stronger muscles behind the eye, in the muscles of the face and neck in addition to the rest of the body. Focusing all night long on book print at short distance with superhuman eye muscles distorts the shape of the eyeball during puberty leading to lifelong nearsightedness. Guess your mom was right. About reading late at night, anyway.

I could now write a 1000 paragraphs more but will stop there lest I drone on. Needless to say, checking the box for "nearsightedness" in the IDF entrance forms in Israel automatically determines if you are considered a candidate for officer school since they have found that nearsightedness is clustered with all kinds of superior traits in a man. Respect to Yoshi for knowing the potential of the rodeo clowns in his midst.

Hold up. So I'm actually a higher evolved specimen of the species?

kryminator

Augur
I started playing Grimoire. Or at least I'm trying to. I'm on the step of party creation and have some questions. I read wiki and manual, not all, but here and there. I prepared this team:
Rhattu Thief -> Pirate
Wolfin Ranger
Naga Assassin
Barrower Thaumaturge
Aeorb Sage
Leonar Berserker
Durendil Templar
Feyfolk Bard -> Jester

Although, I have no experience with the game itself (and even with Wizardries, I played 7 and 8 and enjoyed almost every minute of that but never finished any of them) and have a few questions.

1. Will that party handle whatever shit is waiting for them or there will be trouble?

2. Is Cleric needed here? I figured out that Templar will go with clerical magic from lvl 3 and my Thaumaturge have spells like cure light wounds so maybe he can also perform some kind of holy magic. So I don't want Cleric but I also don't want the game to be unnecessary difficult due to that fact (I remember my first MM7 playthrough with Knight, Archer, Thief and Sorcerer so no clerical spells, no healing, cure insanity etc. And it was annoying sometimes, but finally got that Light Magic and life become simpler).

3. Will my Feyfolk Bard be able to switch into Jester? From what I read I doubt it can be done directly and it probably needs some more class switching so if I want that Feyfolk to end as Jester then I should not start with Bard because only Bard can respec to Jester and You cannot switch to class You already used. Am I right?
And instead I should go for instance Assassin->Necromancer->Bard->Jester. As Assassin the Feyfolk will be getting 1.9 * (1 to 6) points to hamster for further muticlassing and * 1.6 as Necromancer and * 1.0 as Bard which in case of 8 levels of every class and a little savescumming should give me what I need, because I need 20 attribute points for transition Assassin->Necro, 10 points for Necro->Bard and 145 for Bard->Jester. And I will get 8 * (1.9 + 1.6 + 1) * (1 to 6) points. Am I right?

4. Which spells should I take for Sage and Thaumaturge at the start? Does it even matter? Is there alternative way to get spell except from getting them during level up?

5. How does race/class attribute bonus actually work? I rolled Wolfin Ranger with 34 points. Such race/class combination doesn't need any bonus points, so all of them are left as bonus points and multiplied by race/class multiplier which is 1.6 in this case. So I get 49 points to spend and the game is indeed showing me that, but as I choose to put them into attribute points and start the game I have only 29 attribute points to distribute. Not the 49 I would expect and not even the 34 I rolled in the first place. Why is that?

6. Is manual on GOG unfinished/bugged or lack of content within Level Advancement entry is on purpose?

Dorateen

Arcane
That party should be fine. I'm not sure if the list of characters reflects your formation, but the Berserker should be moved to the first slot (Top Left on the adventure screen) and the thief somewhere in the middle or back row.

Jester and Pirate have high stat requirements, so it will be tough for your feyfolk and rhattu. When you level up, you get a random amount of bonus points to apply to attributes, from 1 to 6. Save, and shoot for getting 5 or 6 every time. Then hold on to those points, and spend them when you have enough to change professions. You will probably need to multi-class a couple of times.

You can learn spells from books that you find, but you must invest in the Scribe skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom