Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
from the manual

"The endurance a character has before falling asleep from fatigue. It increases at level advancement against the CONSTITUTION attribute. If the CONSTITUTION is increased this will result in larger gains of vitality when levelling up."

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
While this has been discussed by many here during the demo and V1 release.

Vitality is decreased by a PERCENTAGE. Not how much VIT you have.

So you have, let's say, 100 ViT.

you take 3 steps in water (or whatever). You lose 10 VIT for every step.

Now, let's say, you have 1,000 VIT. You take 3 steps in the water. You lose 100 Vit each step.

Same if you have 10,000 VIT. You lost 1,000 VIT with each step.

All proven by my editor DECLINE.

Now take Cleve's dick out of your mouth for 1 second and admit VIT is broken.

Cleve hurr durred VIT, and tied it too closely to too many things in his code, he could not (and still can't) repair his broken implementation.

This has all been proven with the save editor I created.

Zep--

GandGolf

Augur
there is *nothing* broken with the vitality system. it is directly scaled with your stats. you lose it by exerting your characters. you need a little nap every now and then to recover it

But you only regain a fixed amount of vitality, so if you have 1000 then you have to drink from the refreshing fountain 250 times and by the time all 8 of your characters have taken enough drinks your first guy has gotten low on vitality again. It seems like Cleve did this to be intentionally annoying.

This math is an almost perfect duplication of the way vitality works in Crusaders, as I have discussed previously. It took much tweaking to get it closer and closer to Wiz 7. I don't think you appreciate how this keeps the challenge of restoring vitality a bit steep no matter how high your level goes. You can't just fight and fight without rest. At some point you may be forced to take prolonged rest to recover at the highest levels, the same way weightlifters need more rest as they get stronger. You have the capacity to exhaust yourself in a way you could not have done when you were lower level. It's very close to the way rest works in Wiz 7 and I thought it was awesome. Not everything gets easy as you level up. Some things still require patience and attention to party conditions and illnesses. A guy with 999 vitality can take a lot of rest to restore his strength and maximum capacity.

Seems kind of obsessive that you would work so hard to emulate a games flaws. It's probably been well over 20 years since I last played wizardry 7, but I don't remember the vitality going down when your party was literally doing nothing.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
there is *nothing* broken with the vitality system. it is directly scaled with your stats. you lose it by exerting your characters. you need a little nap every now and then to recover it

But you only regain a fixed amount of vitality, so if you have 1000 then you have to drink from the refreshing fountain 250 times and by the time all 8 of your characters have taken enough drinks your first guy has gotten low on vitality again. It seems like Cleve did this to be intentionally annoying.

This math is an almost perfect duplication of the way vitality works in Crusaders, as I have discussed previously. It took much tweaking to get it closer and closer to Wiz 7. I don't think you appreciate how this keeps the challenge of restoring vitality a bit steep no matter how high your level goes. You can't just fight and fight without rest. At some point you may be forced to take prolonged rest to recover at the highest levels, the same way weightlifters need more rest as they get stronger. You have the capacity to exhaust yourself in a way you could not have done when you were lower level. It's very close to the way rest works in Wiz 7 and I thought it was awesome. Not everything gets easy as you level up. Some things still require patience and attention to party conditions and illnesses. A guy with 999 vitality can take a lot of rest to restore his strength and maximum capacity.

Seems kind of obsessive that you would work so hard to emulate a games flaws. It's probably been well over 20 years since I last played wizardry 7, but I don't remember the vitality going down when your party was literally doing nothing.

If I remember correctly it actually does

Edit: I checked and I'm not sure anymore, maybe it doesn't go down when standing still. Still, it doesn't matter much, as the point of vitality in the game is that it doesn't work like a normal stat that goes up and up, and is indeed something that will keep you grounded for the whole game, so in that sense vitality works exactly as promised

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
We got another triggered ladyboy review on GOG here, lads

Yes, I'm aware that reviews should be based on in-game experience only. However, my in-game experience was hampered by the fact that the developer is so malicious and hateful that it made me not want to continue playing this game at all.

First, let's talk about the game itself. It is an ambitious game with lots of content and an homage to Wizardry 7 and similar games of old. However, the UI is very clunky, the itemization is mediocre at best, and the gameplay is terribly unbalanced. If you manage to get past the clunky UI, prepare to breeze past certain monsters and then get one-shot by others. There is still some fun to be had despite all of this, but you'll have a better time revisiting those classics or playing some of the amazing, well-balanced gems available on this website (Tower of Time, anyone?).

Unfortunately, the developer chooses to ridicule and insult paying customers who paid upwards of $40 for this game. He also bans anyone on the Steam forums who speak negatively about the game, or complains about things like the poor balance or UI. Even people who complained about things like the guide not being released when it was promised were met with bans, insults, and had their posts deleted. Anyone who dislikes the game he calls names like "snowflakes" or "homosexuals", or goes off on a borderline non-sensical rants usually about how he is right and you are an idiot. He seems to be very proud of being (what he even refers to himself as) an "internet bully," and he makes blog posts with hateful rants about homosexuality, black people, women and even "charlatans" like Stephen Hawking (nobody's safe from this looney!).

If this type of behavior and outright bigotry doesn't bother you, and you can look past the massive flaws of the game - you may find some enjoyment in this. I personally do not want to support someone like this. Luckily, he can't ban me or remove my review from GOG, so I thought I'd spread the word to those who care about who gets their money.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems kind of obsessive [...]
Are you kidding me, princess? Are you srsly gonna throw shade at obsessive behaviour when you throw racist ratings at every single one of Cleve's posts?

You're not a serious old man, with some intelectual view, and (maybe, just maybe) a bit of wisdom - you're a fucking pot, calling the kettle black. A tool.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What's the point of raising constitution to get more vitality if it decreases by a percent on every action? your char can have 10 vitality or 10000 and he will perform the same...

Cael

Arcane

"I am not butthurt! I am not butthurt!" yells gandgolf as a cheese grater cuts through his crack.

Cael

Arcane

Yes, I'm aware that reviews should be based on in-game experience only. However, my in-game experience was hampered by the fact that the developer is so malicious and hateful that it made me not want to continue playing this game at all.

First, let's talk about the game itself. It is an ambitious game with lots of content and an homage to Wizardry 7 and similar games of old. However, the UI is very clunky, the itemization is mediocre at best, and the gameplay is terribly unbalanced. If you manage to get past the clunky UI, prepare to breeze past certain monsters and then get one-shot by others. There is still some fun to be had despite all of this, but you'll have a better time revisiting those classics or playing some of the amazing, well-balanced gems available on this website (Tower of Time, anyone?).

Unfortunately, the developer chooses to ridicule and insult paying customers who paid upwards of $40 for this game. He also bans anyone on the Steam forums who speak negatively about the game, or complains about things like the poor balance or UI. Even people who complained about things like the guide not being released when it was promised were met with bans, insults, and had their posts deleted. Anyone who dislikes the game he calls names like "snowflakes" or "homosexuals", or goes off on a borderline non-sensical rants usually about how he is right and you are an idiot. He seems to be very proud of being (what he even refers to himself as) an "internet bully," and he makes blog posts with hateful rants about homosexuality, black people, women and even "charlatans" like Stephen Hawking (nobody's safe from this looney!).

If this type of behavior and outright bigotry doesn't bother you, and you can look past the massive flaws of the game - you may find some enjoyment in this. I personally do not want to support someone like this. Luckily, he can't ban me or remove my review from GOG, so I thought I'd spread the word to those who care about who gets their money.
This is the same kind of cunt that protested Tennis Australia honouring Margaret Court because she said things they consider "homophobia". Nevermind she is now a pastor at her church. One of the greatest female tennis player of all time is to be cancelled because she is Christian.

I'd say fuck those cunts, but they would probably enjoy it far too much, the assholes.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Well, actually no.

Actually yes. Tested and confirmed.

Zep--

You couldn't test and confirm a bowel movement, Zep. Have you set the corresponding metabolic burn rate which is the computed sum of Constitution plus two other variables? Or did your little anal probe utility just set the Constitution?

You know what you really need to do, Zep, is to write a game of your own. Show everybody how it is done correctly. Instead of just obsessively stalk these forums for 6 years with a homoerotic fixation on the author.

Like I said, get checked, Zep. I think your brain is not healthy and early intervention might help.

Were you exposed to head trauma, shell shock or possibly skull inflammation as a veteran, Zep? I was and I was worried but a checkup showed my brain is as healthy as that of an 8 year old. I doubt if that is the case with you. Have a consultation with a doctor who specializes in head trauma. A lot of veterans become senile quite rapidly. Seriously, I would not let it go. There is something weird about signing all your posts with your name and other strange affectations that point to possible inflammation of the brain.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

This retard is still ranting about 40$ while it's 6 fucking euros in GOG.
How come GOG doesn't remove this kind of review, it obviously doesn't have anything to do with the GOG version of the game?

index.php

Arcane
Another great review:

2/5 - I may have to do a fourth playthrough

6g0qyAY.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I bet it was GandGolf. "Vitality hateful design to waste time" is a dead giveaway.

Wouldn't that require buying a copy of the game on GOG to post the review though? Unless the game comes out on a Humble Bundle so I can give 100% of the money to charity I'm not spending anything on Grimoire.

You're spending time here debating the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom