Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Grimoire Thread

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by LESS T_T, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    You can set wandering monsters to never and then rest as much as you want to regain all your vitality.

I want to know when we will be getting souped up Necromancers. I tested a party with 2 necromancers after the version changed to 3.0 but I did not notice that they were draining life force from enemies to increase their max HP. (Vamp necros should also be able to do this on a Bite kill, please.)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    ^ Top  
  2. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Too much work. Better complain on RPG Codex, and rate developer's posts as racist, because we're looking down on him and the whole website - using it as a cudgel to make our own self-entitlement known.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    That's a good idea about Vamp Necros. Will put this in next version.

• incline x 4
    • Thanks! x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Quoting for posterity, having this be a feature similar to the ankh option that heals, but instead casting refresh or seeking out to eat a stamina restoring food item like baulder cake, would be a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Yugomorph Novice

Yugomorph
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Hines Learned

Hines
    I love the new GoG trailer:

• incline x 3
    • Friendly x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    I've never played past the demo. Now that I got may last "big game" out of the way (I usually have some big open world game or RPG going alongside a shorter action or strat game), I plan to rectify this. But that's not the point. The point is: even from the demo, I can say that Grimoire puts to shame what passes for dungeon crawling in 99% of games made today. It proves that most of these niggas making RPGs have never played one session of one tabletop game, or a single one of the CRPG classics. If they had, maybe, if they had a bit of a craftman's pride or the capacity to feel shame, they would not try to fob off the utterly lazy, simplistic, insulting wank on us that they do.

It's all in here. Mystery, atmosphere, foreboding, danger, surprise, riddle, puzzlement, risk, reward. The text alone provides more atmosphere, immersion, and evocation of ancient adventure than any of these phonies, these wannabe film directors and their expensive engines can muster on their best day.

I don't think I even fully explored or solved all the mysteries of the dungeon in the demo. I don't recall. But I do remember that even if I had, there was a nagging sensation that there was more, some secret passage not discovered or doorway that I walked by and either failed to notice or forgot about. That I only did enough to progress down the critical path, but ultimately the dungeon "beat" me. Comparing Grimoire to most of the rest of the field is like comparing Morrowind to the rest of Elder Scrolls. With Morrowind, after dozens of hours spread across repeated playthroughs across several years, it still feels like, even if not so, I could stumble upon something new, whether a unique weapon, a new kind of dungeon, creature, NPC, faction, spell, environment etc. In every Elder Scrolls subsequent, the sinking feeling that I had seen everything there was to see in the first 10 hours, to be repeated for all remaining hours. No more surprises or the hope of something new, something more. Of course, Morrowind isn't endlessly vast. There is a set number of types for each object, location, and sentient being. The point is it feels like there is always something more to see. I don't precisely know what makes the difference, but maybe it has something to do with the creators behind one type of game talking about desire for detailed simulation, deep systems, pen and paper games and CRPG greats like Wizardy 7, while on the other side they talk about... Call of Duty...and Jackass...

Yeah. Anyway, welcome back to proper dungeon design.

• Brofist x 14
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Racist x 3
    • Yes x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Solanacean Educated

Solanacean
    Meanwhile on Steam:

69% of the 433 user reviews for this game are positive.

• incline x 11
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. badger76 Educated

badger76
    I listen to the Grimoire IndieGoGo pitch every single morning during my hour long commute to the coal mines. Cleve's sultry, velvety voice helps soothe my generalized anxiety disorder, depression and the pneumoconiosis caused by years of ingesting a plant-based diet as a child.

"A lot of things that happen in Grimwahr...don't necessarily advance...the completion of the game. They're just moments in time.

They're there to give you something to remember. To make you feel like you were part of this world.

Sometimes it's a small act of kindness...

...like finding a seashell for a crab.

These are all...little moments in time."
    -Cleveland M. Blakemore

• incline x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Shadowfang Arcane

Shadowfang
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    I started to play this gem of a game this December when it reached GOG and I haven't needed the manual so far. Having fun with my suboptimal party, loving the puzzles and secret areas that are everywhere.

The only thing that can compare is this very thread that gave a few loud chuckles this whole day.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • incline incline x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Sadly, more than a few of them have played tabletop RPGs and classic cRPGs, but they've resigned themselves to creating games designed for humanity's lowest common denominator in order to pay the bills.

Some lack any sense of pride and/or shame, but the rest suffer, knowing that they're doomed to slop hogs for the rest of their careers. For most people, it's very difficult to change profession unless they're absolutely forced to; furthermore, games are a luxury entertainment, so being a shameless, artless sellout isn't exactly immoral or unethical. No one's forced to endure your creatively bankrupt garbage. It's just pathetic and sad.

Still and all, it pleases me to know that they're suffering. They should all enroll in trade schools and apprentice to become plumbers or electricians—both professions are sorely needed (average age of a master plumber or electrician in the US is about 50ish), and frankly they'd likely earn more money working a real job while enduring FAR less work-related stress. Best of all, they'd be providing a useful and valuable service that improves society, which would be a major improvement over churning out shovelware.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Verylittlefishes Erudite Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Was V3 released? Why Steam has only V2?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Butter Magister

Butter
    The client says GRIMOIRE 3.0.0.0-R at the top of the window.

^ Top  
  14. Verylittlefishes Erudite Patron

Verylittlefishes
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Butter Magister

Butter
    Yes.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ludwig von Eisenthal Savant

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    Any news about the changes in 3.0.0.0?

• No No x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Change logs are for saps, thals play the game and recognize what is different.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    The PnP industry itself has been declining too. The tranny and wahmenstronk culture has infiltrated the hobby deeply, and nerds being nerds, they either join the cult to find fulfillment to their sexual fantasies, or bend over to demonstrate tolerance and altruism. In the end, the ones who are affected are the ones who just want to play a fucking normal game but have to find some way to circumvent the accompanying political bullshit (whether as part of the lore, the weirdo demographic who might creep into your table, or some other related issue).

And let's not forget the increasing number of story games that are passing off as RPGs. I like games such as Microscope, but they're not RPGs. Passing around tokens while telling a story does not an RPG make.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Diggfinger Cipher

Diggfinger

[​IMG]
    "Noch eine Bauderdash Kuche, bitte sehr Herr Blakemore??"

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Racist Racist x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    That´s some atrocious German.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Diggfinger Cipher

Diggfinger
    Blame the Danish educational-system :obviously::lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Hell, I know that better than anyone. I discovered PnP through a game of DnD v1.0 at summer camp in 1993, at age 10. In the early 2000s I used to browse RPGnet, but chose to abandon it around 2009 (probably should have done so earlier) due to the absurd SJW infestation. I dropped PnP entirely a couple of years later for much the same reason, though there were other factors as well.

I've still got piles of old core rulebooks and sourcebooks for Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Blue Planet, GURPS 3e/4e, Rifts, WEG Star Wars, oWoD, and many more. Tried to give them all away on the Codex a few years back, actually, but threw in the towel because the logistics of so many people picking and choosing was far too much work to try to sort through, on top of the prohibitive difficulty of arranging for recipients to pay their own shipping costs.

• Salute Salute x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. karnak Arcane Patron

karnak
    If you're not interested in them anymore you may, perhaps, sell them on Ebay. You could earn a few bucks and help make some young collectors and RPG enthusiasts very happy.
    I know because it was thanks to Ebay and some owner/sellers of old RPG stuff that I managed to grab some fine pieces of PnP History.

^ Top  
  24. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    It's just not worth it. Ebaying them would require drafting dozens of individual listings, each with a photograph, then monitoring the listings regularly and shipping everything piece by piece. I don't have time for that. It's far easier to just store them.

I could simply drop them off at a FLGS, right? Well, I tried that, too. They want them practically for free, as in a dollar per pile (or something like that). I figured that if I had to give them away anyway, I might as well cut out the middle man... though to be fair, my experience trying to give them away to individuals may be a good argument in favor.

A few of the books are actually quite valuable, such as a 30th anniversary edition of Call of Cthulhu that's still in its (very thick) plastic wrap. I think at this point I feel I ought to preserve them in case I do end up wanting to use them again.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. karnak Arcane Patron

karnak
    I see. Keep them safe, then.
    Sooner or later someone worthy will probably show up and you can then offer them the goods.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)