Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
SAPES HATE HIM

a cut of domestic sheep prime

mWNM9o5.png

It begins.

Tomatohead

Learned
/v/ is just jealous because they know that their pitiful little trashheap would rather shitpost about random shit than discuss video games and of the video games they do discuss, it's absolute popamole casual territory

They all got cucked by Moot when he sold them out for his SJW gf and then got scooped up by a japanese data miner. Anyone with a shred of dignity left went to another chan or forum. You are pretty much seeing the bottom of the bottom of the barrel over there at this point.
4chan as a whole has changed. 2010(?) onward especially after when certain social media sites became hugely popular, /v/ and few other higher visibility boards have changed to harbour mainstream, Facebook audience. It has become very mainstream I guess. But in terms of website success it is still way behind of Reddit for example if you check alexa.com. It is also a target for lot of viral marketing and political viral posting (but this kind of propaganda is very common all over Internet these days and there are people working daily to manipulate public opinions...), and the new owner probably already sells the user data to advertisers or even worse...

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Cleve has spent the last 17 years telling people his game has been going to come out. He has set multiple release dates "in stone" only to disappoint his fans time and time again. He set three release dates this year alone and each time he got people hyped up for its release. The only person who kept moving the goalposts is Cleve. You have to be either ignorant of his history or completely disingenuous.

And you have discovered it all 3 days ago, but the righteous fire of indignation nonetheless burns bright in your sphincter, eh?

We who were around for these 17 years (20, actually) are not damsels in distress and don't need your whiteknighting. Go away.

R8GuhRK.jpg

5b1.gif

Caei

Novice
Won't let me thumbs up/down anything after some self-righteous retard went crying to Steam support about me being a Clevebot. Perhaps it's just some automated crap, though the timing is impeccable.

Well if by some chance they didn't ignore his report I'm glad to see that Valve is employing millennial cucks who don't understand sarcasm.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Really need backer keys taken care of... after so long they should have gotten them first.

hackncrazy

Savant
I want to congratulate the hero whose nickname is HRose on broken forum.

I've read some parts of their thread (http://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/cleves-back-in-the-public-eye.9354/page-12) and it's impressive how imbecile people are. They are think that, knowing that Cleve is racist/transphobic etc, buying his game (which, so far, it doesn't seem to be a political statement about his views) will be an automatic statement that you're aligned with his views.

The internet went really too far.

Alkarl

Learned
Yeah, why haven't backers received their keys yet? It's been more than 24 hours. Cleveland Mark Blakemore I understand you're attempting to maintain this aircraft mid-flight, but you gotta make sure everyone is on board first. All I'm saying is, the Golden Baby needs to produce the golden tickets!

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Please, ease my mind! After leveling up, I chose two (the amount the game asked me to choose) new spells for my cleric, and now she has 1 spell pick from the character screen. Is this a bug? Should I be worried about legitimacy of that spell pick?!

Can you remember which spells they are? IT's a horrible bug if you cannot then find them in your spell book.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I've decided not to pirate Grimoire, despite the heated words I exchanged during the last few months of missed dates. Steam is a deal breaker though, so I will hold off on a purchase until there is a GoG version.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Is this some kind of a euphemism? It seems to be the game's leitmotif...

uykyukyuk.jpg

Gorlo has some of the most complex NPC interaction of all, with all manner of factors affecting your conversation including Charm, Detect Secret as well as Diplomacy. I wish I had the time to make all NPCs as complex but right now he is the one who makes decisions on what to tell you about and what to withhold. You can cast Charm on him and it's like truth serum. It is a lot of script to factor all this in for each word in his vocabulary and Gorlo was kind of the test bed to prove I could make the conversations quite complicated with enough time.

The most important things to extract from him is the Key to The Catacombs and everything he knows about the Black Lich and the "scandal." Ernest Hemingway said that what makes narrative interesting is what the characters in a story are trying to avoid talking about. So in Village of Crowl that would be the one thing that is the core of the story here, the "scandal." IT also foreshadows other discoveries about the Crusade Temple at the end of this region.

P.S. I'm pretty sure you can still eventually recruit Gorlo. He has a portrait and a character profile.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Hey guise, maybe CMB should have a legit developer tag now? Only guy to develop something for 20 years, release it, and still not have a Codex developer tag. Unless he scorned it?

biggestboss

Liturgist
Hey Cleve,

Thanks for the info on charming Gorlo. Couldn't figure out where to go from that point. Do you know if a similar method is required to get Smithers to talk about "Crest"? I've tried Charm and Mindread on him, but he won't spill any beans. Is levelling Diplomacy, etc. required for this particular situation? Thanks in advance.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
Is this some kind of a euphemism? It seems to be the game's leitmotif...

uykyukyuk.jpg

Gorlo has some of the most complex NPC interaction of all, with all manner of factors affecting your conversation including Charm, Detect Secret as well as Diplomacy. I WISH I HAD THE TIME to make all NPCs as complex but right now he is the one who makes decisions on what to tell you about and what to withhold. You can cast Charm on him and it's like truth serum. It is a lot of script to factor all this in for each word in his vocabulary and Gorlo was kind of the test bed to prove I could make the conversations quite complicated with enough time.

The most important things to extract from him is the Key to The Catacombs and everything he knows about the Black Lich and the "scandal." Ernest Hemingway said that what makes narrative interesting is what the characters in a story are trying to avoid talking about. So in Village of Crowl that would be the one thing that is the core of the story here, the "scandal." IT also foreshadows other discoveries about the Crusade Temple at the end of this region.

P.S. I'm pretty sure you can still eventually recruit Gorlo. He has a portrait and a character profile.

:abyssgazer:

:despair:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Jesus, woke up this morning, casually checked in on the Grimoire store page. Reading through the negative reviews is giving me cancer.

A relic of a bygone era, this game plays like a Ford Edsel. The interface is bad, even by 90s stardards. It is difficult to read, and uses a font that reminds me of comic sans. It even lacks icons that properly indicate their' function, such as the options menu being represented by two dice.

The music is repetitive and lacks inspiration, a trait that is emphasised by the constant loop it plays in. While on the topic of sound, the enemies you encounter will, nine times out of ten, blast you with a barrage of identical low quality sound effects, if there are multiple enemies on the screen then all of these sounds are played at the same time, resulting in a highly deformed mess of screeching, clacking, and sometimes mumbled gibberish. To complement the audatory overload, many assets in this "game" appear to still be using placeholder names, leaving you both deaf and confused. A few cases in point: The "?WORMS?" sound like machine guns, the "?RUDE CHAPS?" scream unintelligibly, and always in tandom with their fellow brethern, and the "?UGLY DOG?" is very clearly a rat.

Before we cover the this games' balance - there is none - lets take a look at the story.

The storyline that is presented on the menu screen is overly vague, and fails to properly describe the events leading you up to your "adventure". What is presented is disjointed, and makes very little sense with all of the antiquated jargins used to try and spice up what would otherwise be a typical, if not boring storyline that MAY have been acceptable in 1997, but utterly disappoints by todays standards. When you actually jump in and play the game, the information provided to you is usually either irrelivant, or just drawn out, such as the fairy you encounter at the start of a puke green forest level. The game treats you like a child in this regard, despite there being virtually no explantion as to how anything else works. It can't trust you NOT to see a heap of bones and take them as a source of ambiance - it can't afford for you to bypass the glory of a fairy that advetises museums of magic. It essentially slams you on the head with a plank, nearly demanding that you apperciate the "lore" that you can speciously call thorough.

Now for game balance. There is literally no balance that I can discern from my time playing this 20 year conundrem. I start a party, and 5 movements in a pack of giant bats appear and sluaghter 5 of my 8 party members. When I retreated, which killed another one of my characters, I heard a soundclip of Monty Python and the Holy Grail blast "RUN AWAY!" into my headphones. So much for ambiance.

Preventing new players from even getting a feel for a games controls before they are killed is perhaps the most bizzare design choice that a developer could ever choose, and Grimoire has perfected this to an artform. It ruins any hope of enjoying this non-sensical storyline racked with deformed and illogical sound effects and placeholder titles.

Grimoire took 20 years to release, and needs another 20 for it to be considered marginally enjoyable, even by 90s standards. Instead of shelling near 40 dollars for a Wizardry clone, created by a disgruntled former employee of the now closed Sir-Tech software company, buy Wizardry 7, the game the developer has spent so much time trying to plagarize.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom