Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grounded - shrunken kids first-person co-op survival game from Obsidian

RegionalHobo

Scholar
can t make this shit up

what a timeline we live gentlemen

Latro

Arcane
Could've been a good setting for a proper RPG, or even actiony RPG-lite. Even if development started before acquisition, Obsidian could've changed the formula while keeping the premise.

Oh well.
i think the entire setting/plot is retarded top-down, this feels like a dopey gamecube platformer from 2002

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The giant hands on the kids freak me out. Get it together, Obsidian character modelers.

The big question is whether what they said about this being a passion project is true or not. It looks suspiciously similar to something that a bunch of Microsoft executives in a board room would come up with. Claiming that it is a passion project and totally not something that Microsoft wanted would be the obvious marketing tactic. If so then RIP Obsidian.

Of course, the alternative is that Obsidian really really wanted to make this game, which is equally disturbing.

Brennecke is the guy who went to bat for Diablo 3's always-online mode back then. I can certainly see this as his true passion project (and not Project Eternity which was a cash-in "We gotta do this or someone else will!!!!!" idea for all involved).

According to this article the team is actually really small. Just 12 people working on the project. So it's not like that they throwing lots of resources at this.

Imagine if they had 12 people working on a hardcore RPG. Of course the ROI wouldn't be as good, can't have that now, can we?

Survival games were how many fads ago, now? What the fuck are they thinking?

? Open world survival games are still going strong. The iron is still hot.

Rev

Arcane
Imagine if they had 12 people working on a hardcore RPG. Of course the ROI wouldn't be as good, can't have that now, can we?
ROI won't be good for this shitty game either, probably.
But yeah, what people really wants from Obsidian is a survival game with co-op and young kids as main characters.

Irata

Scholar
I'd be surprised if Microsoft bought Obsidian and told them to make this, but then Microsoft did task Ensemble to make a console Halo MMO.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Me before sleeping: aw yis im gonna click on trailer of sawyer's historical rpg so hard
Me after waking up:

yWRigl6B_400x400.jpg

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
The giant hands on the kids freak me out. Get it together, Obsidian character modelers.
Hey now, don't ask for impossible. You can't get a stylized char right when you can't even make a photoreal model look good. Stylized content is difficult to work with. Especially when you're an Obisidian character modeller.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Damn, maybe Outer Worlds was their trial run using Unreal engine. With additional experience with the engine under their belt, this must be the prime time action title that Feargus was dreaming about since the merger. It checks all the boxes, Rust like survival element with Fortnite building gameplay, light multiplayer, with a bit of wading into blue ocean with enlarged environment gimmick, ants, etc. Now the Obsidian writers can truly strut their stuff and be in touch with their kindred self contributing snappy one liners and memes aimed at kids.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People disagreeing with me: Other than a Souls-like or a roguelite, what else is trendy? Aside from just plain open world games.

Wunderbar

Arcane
People disagreeing with me: Other than a Souls-like or a roguelite, what else is trendy? Aside from just plain open world games.
souls-likes and roguelites aren't trendy anymore. It's all about games-as-a-services, and even those games are dying down.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
souls-likes and roguelites aren't trendy anymore. It's all about games-as-a-services, and even those games are dying down.
Code Vein and Sekiro were just released this year. Jedi: Fallen Order is also out soon and it looks Souls as-all-get-out (it has meditation spots as a bonfire-equivalent).

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
You guys realize this thing is aimed at preteens, right? Even more so than usual, we are well outside the target audience. Feels like when your younger sibling gets a shitty Christmas present—who cares?

At least when Obsidian makes a multiplayer survival game, they give it the scant resources it deserves. A twelve man team with less than two years? C’mon, this is nothing.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Code Vein and Sekiro were just released this year. Jedi: Fallen Order is also out soon and it looks Souls as-all-get-out (it has meditation spots as a bonfire-equivalent).
jedi fallen order is just another nutombraider-like highly scripted story-focused action game.
code vein is trying to look like a souls-like to attract fromsoft fans, but it's closer to god eater.

hexer

I feel sorry for Obsidian fans, this crap is hard to defend.
Also, what is Sawyer's role in this?
If it's a MP game he should have plenty of stuff to balance (tm)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom