Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grunker is a gigantic geek (GURPS: The Witcher)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yo bros. I like The Witcher as P&P-setting. So I've played a bunch of games in it. That also means I've developed a supplement for use in GURPS games for the setting. For the purposes of my next game, I've polished both a Character and Monster supplement, and both can now be used by other folks.

Lemme me know what you think if you got five seconds. After all, some of you guys might know a bit more about The Witcher than the guys at the GURPS forums.

You can get the .pdfs from here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=122204

Tagging some Witcher-geeks: Mrowak, ghostdog, Storyfag, Father Walker

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Had time to thumb through the first file. (Some?) oils as well as certain elixirs should be obtainable through regular alchemy. De Vries' extract, White Raffard's decoction, perhaps Maribor Forest, Crinfrid oil, etc are definitely not specific to witchers. Otherwise looks pretty solid.
Also, are you insane, posting links to your real name like that? Do you like pizza?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Had time to thumb through the first file. (Some?) oils as well as certain elixirs should be obtainable through regular alchemy. De Vries' extract, White Raffard's decoction, perhaps Maribor Forest, Crinfrid oil, etc are definitely not specific to witchers.

The way alchemy works in GURPS, there is no easy way to make those things available to alchemists, so setting-adherence had to take a blow there, I'm afraid. It could be done with some minor tinkering obviously, but the way I chose to do Witcher alchemy, it would be a shitty work around. The proper solution would take me some time, and it ain't that important anyway.

Otherwise looks pretty solid.

Thanks!

Also, are you insane, posting links to your real name like that? Do you like pizza

My real name and multiple pictures have been available throughout the Codex since 2010. It really isn't an issue unless you make creepy GD blogthreads or some bullshit.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
So maybe rename "witcher alchemy" to "practical alchemy" and allow everyone to practice it? Most potions would be useless to anyone but the witchers due to their toxicity, but theoretically they could be produced by alchemists or sorcerers. Oils would be more widespread, methinks.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So maybe rename "witcher alchemy" to "practical alchemy" and allow everyone to practice it? Most potions would be useless to anyone but the witchers due to their toxicity

Doesn't work. The problem is that GURPS is simulationist in the way that Alchemy is time-consuming, difficult and scientific. Witcher alchemy in the way Geralt uses it is more magical/spiritual and practical. Key difference is brewing time and extend of effects.

Basically, I had three models:

1) Work Witcher alchemy into regular alchemy.

2) Make two versions, but allow everyone to use both (making two versions basically obsolete)

3) Divide the two into seperate skills, governed by seperate mechanics.

I chose three to diversify party member alchemists and witchers. I'm not going to change that, because frankly, that would take something like half a year or more to do (it's quite a bit of work). Obviously though, it's pretty easy to change stuff for use in people's own campaigns. Just ignore/add rules.

Last edited:

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Going little offtopic, because I'm not sure if you guys know it, but there actually was a Polish PnP Witcher game(released back in 2001) Bah, I even have the original book.
WIEDZMIN-GraW.jpg

The setting was described pretty well and it all worked around D6 but the overall mechanics were so damn clumsy that it was hard to have actual fun playing it without changing all the rules.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:lol: with the awesome book cover pic of the potato TV series.

Yes, I've watched it...

:negative:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: with the awesome book cover pic of the potato TV series.

Yes, I've watched it...

:negative:
I know Your pain. I went to a theatre to watch the movie.

With a girl.

She never spoke to me again afterwards.*

Not really, she actually stopped speaking to me only after prom. ;)

BTW, good job Grunker. I don't know that much about GURPS, but this seems like a solid effort at a first glance.

m_s0

Arcane
Uploaded a new version with some fixes.
You might want to label the versions for the sake of keeping everything organized. I think this is going to get really confusing if you keep fixing stuff and using the same filenames. Just a thought.

1ed, revX or something along those lines would suffice.

Repressed Homosexual
I don't understand why no one makes GURPS campaign books. There's nothing wrong with general settings/lore books, but why is there only that? The system is never going to get more known unless it has actual content.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Uploaded a new version with some fixes.
You might want to label the versions for the sake of keeping everything organized. I think this is going to get really confusing if you keep fixing stuff and using the same filenames. Just a thought.

1ed, revX or something along those lines would suffice.

I have version numbers in my master files. I guess maybe they're relevant for users as well?

m_s0

Arcane
Personally I like to have that kind of info. It's more convenient than following post edit dates.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Grunker

Sorry for the late reply - RL can be a bitch. Having browsed the files I have to say it looks delightfully solid. Kudos for your hard work.

Rest asured though that I will bitch about these once I have time to read the manuals in full.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Don't know shit about GURPS, but as far as I can tell you've done an excellent job, Grunker

Just one small note: You might want to add the highest Vampire species : Nosferat. Although it's not explicitly mentioned, I believe that Queen Of the Night from TW2 and Regis from the books (mainly, he is mentioned at some point in the games) could be Nosferat. They certainly seem of a higher species than Bruxa.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mrowak: Thanks :salute:

ghostdog: Thanks as well! I didn't add Nosferat because as far as I know, they're tied to specific individuals, and I don't have the games for handy reference for mechanical abilities. What abilities would you give them?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, Regis at some point got staked, decapitated and thrown in holy water and despite all that he eventually managed to regenerate (after several years), so some kind of special regenerating ability, or cheat death ability, would fit. Also some high-level mind control abilities, like Ventrue Domination.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Regis also didn't have problems with good old Sun shining on his non-sparkly skin either. According to his words, the highest Vampires adapted to the Sun's rays. He could induce sleep by locking eyes with an individual, and hypnotize this way. Though it once had the side-effect of triggering a medium's prophetic trance. Bat form was seen and flight in humanoid form was mentioned. His powers were supposed to amplify during a full moon. Geralt doubted he'd be able to best Regis, though he admitted that the vampire was exceptional even among his kind.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm. Bruxa don't care about the sun either, do they?

Don't think I'll bother defining Nosferat as a monster. Maybe as template, some ways down the line.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Bruxa don't care about the sun either, do they?

It'd appear so. Alps, Bruxae and Mulae are all vampires that can withstand the Sun's rays (as Geralt was not sure whether a vampire he met in broad daylight was an Alp, a Mula or a Bruxa). Also, it's not clear how exactly does the Sun affect the other vampire species.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Very cool! I have only skimmed the pdfs, but so far, so good. Kudos!

Regarding signs, one thing stuck out about the Axii sign. For 15 pts. you get Level 3 Axii, a powerful Suggestion (aka "Jedi Wave"), which allows you to effectively control other people. Even with the Will save and the bonuses vs harmful actions, it still gives the witcher a lot of power over people for relatively little point cost (granted, 15 pts. is nothing to sneeze at, but I'd guess Witcher campaigns would have starting characters of 200+ pts.) and that's something I'd see as a potential problem. I don't have my books with me, but I take it you used Basic and Powers to build the signs and that's what the point costs came out to be as per RAW, right? Well, you've listed the point breakdown and it looks solid, so what am I complaining... Just curious, I'd have guessed something this powerful would've cost 30 pts. at least (even with the modifiers) - my GURPS Fu is rusty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom