Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GTA 6 Speculation

The Decline

Arcane
At this point I'd rather play a game from the pov of law enforcement. So much trolling fun could be had in this political climate.

surprised this hasnt happened yet. People have been asking for GTA: cops since vice city. I wouldve expected at least one publisher attempt to make that game happen, shit or not. Closest its come is LA Noire, which isnt really a GTA clone, and Sleeping Dogs, where you're not really a copper anyway.

Crackdown, but that was completely action focused with almost no story.

typical user

Arbiter
So how do you limit a cop from running over pedestrians?

Based on GTA V character wheel it could create a unique story from two perspectives, a crook who is crossing the line and a cop who is breathing down his neck. Maybe throw some bad buddies theme with occasional co-op missions in between.

It would have to be an undercover guy but still the game should penalise you for breaking the law or we have another weird limbo with Michael who goes to therapist after slaughtering half of LS on his way. But on the other it is GTA, we had rampages with katana slicing heads from gangsters and stuff. GTA IV tried to be realistic and it was repetitive sack of shit.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Based on GTA V character wheel it could create a unique story from two perspectives, a crook who is crossing the line and a cop who is breathing down his neck. Maybe throw some bad buddies theme with occasional co-op missions in between.
Yeah, a retelling of Heat where the player is in both roles, as a "serious" script for GTA would rock. It's something I've been wishing to see.

EruDaan

Arcane
Never played 4 and 5 was kinda shit. The moment you found all the parts/mosaics/whatever, did all the easy-as-fuck races, spend dozens of hours to do all stunt jumps, made hundreds of millions by knowing what missions/side missions affect the in-game stock market and got bored out of your mind - you realize that the game is a whole lot of empty and not worth replaying.

Dumbest thing is that online has all this fucking stuff to offer but putting a tiny bit of menpower into it, put it into bundles and make some cash via selling them as DLCs fo single player? Nope. Too much effort.

EruDaan

Arcane
"Because it might not be as shit as before, because of more content. D'uh!"

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Theres a lot of creative stuff that could be done with the IP but rockstar shows signs that they're kind of running out of ideas. GTAV felt pretty uninspired. While parody of american culture is at the heart of the series, would it hurt to diverge into a radically different setting? Given the success of RDR, I'm guessing no. Plenty of interesting countries in the world where crime caper stories can take place.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is a creative issue in part. Like asking a writer whose stories you liked "why don't you try this completely different writing style, but keep the genre the same (an open world 3rd person action)" Though, again, what gives hope is RDR as an example of good writing in a different style.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Theres a lot of creative stuff that could be done with the IP but rockstar shows signs that they're kind of running out of ideas. GTAV felt pretty uninspired. While parody of american culture is at the heart of the series, would it hurt to diverge into a radically different setting? Given the success of RDR, I'm guessing no. Plenty of interesting countries in the world where crime caper stories can take place.

If they did a London game or something it would mostly be aping movies, since the people developing it don't live there. Satire is hard to do about a culture you don't live in. Maybe if they contracted it out to a European developer, but I don't ever see them doing that. If they want to do something different again after RDR I'd rather it be another fictional setting.

Rockstar is the same as Bethesda now, completely devoid of any creativity. Just update the graphics and refresh the content, but no actual mechanics or depth. How hard would it be to create actual criminal organizations in their games, with working economies, police interrelationships, bribes, politicians, judges, etc. With their money, they could easily create a real masterpiece, a gaming version of The Godfather, instead it's been decades of drive n' gun bullshit for the third grade.

User was nabbed fit

Forget about GTA 6 for now. They'll milk the GTA Online cash cow till 2022.

The guys behind Saints Row are going to announce something new soon... hopefully it won't be shit. Ever the optimist.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Rockstar is the same as Bethesda now, completely devoid of any creativity. Just update the graphics and refresh the content, but no actual mechanics or depth. How hard would it be to create actual criminal organizations in their games, with working economies, police interrelationships, bribes, politicians, judges, etc. With their money, they could easily create a real masterpiece, a gaming version of The Godfather, instead it's been decades of drive n' gun bullshit for the third grade.

These are games for a massive mainstream audience that sell like 100 million copies. They have no interest adding sim elements and shit to them, are you insane?

Modron

Arcane
just make another Bully ffs
Bully was 13 years ago at this point, are the people responsible for it still even at rockstar, the meat-grinder of developers? Plus even if they are, I don't trust nurockstar with their focus on everything must have multiplayer to deliver a solid game anymore.

Genuine question: What’s with all the Bully love I’m seeing? I’ve tried to get into it a couple times and never managed to get far (till the first “boss” or so?) due to it seeming like mostly a collection of mini games tied together with some tryhard edgy “satire”. What am I missing?

Dick.

Arcane
I they did a London game or something it would mostly be aping movies, since the people developing it don't live there. Satire is hard to do about a culture you don't live in. Maybe if they contracted it out to a European developer, but I don't ever see them doing that. If they want to do something different again after RDR I'd rather it be another fictional setting.

You do know Rockstar North (Who is the main developer of GTA since the beginning.) is Scottish, right?

Besides that though, Dan Houser said they would never do another GTA game outside the US. Something about GTA being primarily about a satirical view of American life.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You do know Rockstar North (Who is the main developer of GTA since the beginning.) is Scottish, right?

No, I didn't. That's crazy to me, since they nail the American satire. I guess our dumb shit is broadcast loud enough anyone can parody it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
GTA online is the elephant in the room. It used to be you got really good mafia focused stories and missions in these games. GTA5 was dogshit, 3 shit characters doing 3 sets of shit side quests that are shit even compared to Skyrim and Fallout and other open world games. And then it ends. Clearly they spent a lot of resources on the Online component which for me is mindless and boring. So yeah, young dudebros are probably really happy with this series, oldies like me have a shitter single player experience and an online mode I don't even want.

Personally my biggest wish would be for them to split the series in half like Elder Scrolls did with Elder Scrolls Online. Make a GTA Online that does a really good job of it, competes with all the other big multiplayer games at the moment, provides deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF, and various interesting modes that you play within GTA. In Arma3 (and Counterstrike) you can only afford a basic gun at the start and if you play well, you earn money from kills to buy better gear. In GTA online that could be a car, rocket launcher, armor, etc. and eventually you could buy a tank and plane and gunship and whatnot. It would be fun.

Then have a separate GTA single player experience which I think a lot of people would appreciate. It would be the best thing to happen to the series, although it wont happen.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Then have a separate GTA single player experience which I think a lot of people would appreciate. It would be the best thing to happen to the series, although it wont happen.

I think it absolutely will happen. It's not like they'll shut down GTA online while it still makes big money, and they're not going to stop making normal GTA because, what kind of insane retard would stop that cash cow?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't think so, they will just make a GTA6 and water it down for an online mode. Again. And a zillion people will buy it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't see why they'd shut down the current GTA online if it's still active and earning, when GTA6 single player will sell itself anyway. I guess we'll see.
I don't think they will shut it down, they will keep it going until everyone buys GTA6.

These are games for a massive mainstream audience that sell like 100 million copies. They have no interest adding sim elements and shit to them, are you insane?

Yeah but supposedly the Housers are actual gaming enthusiasts or something like that. How much money can you use anyway? At some point, why not make something of quality? Hell, they could even do a spin-off, while keeping the shallow shit for the mainstream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom