Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

GTA 6

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Makabb, May 2, 2019.

1. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Let's see, story about war, revenge, searching for something VS bored with family life (Michael), making money (Franklin), and batshit retard (Trevor).

How exactly is it more fun? Cars handle like on rails, no skill, nothing. In 4, you actually had to learn physics, get gud, etc.

Ah, everyone?

Melee was always one of the most fun parts of GTA games. They even had 3 different styles in San Andreas. IV was best though, you had timed blocks and counters, and beautiful animations.

In V, you just do one swing, and knock everybody out. It's not a gameplay element anymore.

They are too squishy, and the gunsounds are too quiet, and the guns handle too easily. It feels like paintball more than actual gunfire. In IV, shooting had more weight to it, felt like actual shooting more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. AW8 Arcane

AW8
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I think you're putting IV on a pedestal and are too harsh on V. Micheal is not simply bored with family life, his family gets completely destroyed and he has to rebuild it. Trevor is a madman but he is in the right, Micheal stabbed him in the back and he has to find a way to be able to work with him again. Franklin is just kinda there, he's the blandest of the bunch.

Neither story is great but they're both all right.

:prosper:

Floaty movement is always bad in video games, unless you're purposefully making a goofy physics simulator like QWOP or something. When players complain that the main component of your game feels sluggish, you've fucked up.

I'm replaying SA right now and while the 3 (4 with the default, untrained one) fighting styles is a nice touch, they have no purpose. 99% of the enemies use guns and the game simply isn't designed for melee play.

I'm pretty sure you only one-swing civilians who don't fight back. Otherwise it's the same, with timed dodges and counter-attacks.
    Maybe they did boost player damage in V? But literally who cares, 99% of enemies wield guns so melee only comes into play when you engage a dockworker on the street for the hell of it.

I enjoyed the loud gunfights in the grimy apartments and warehouses of Liberty City. But I'd take arcadey over-the-top shootouts with less emphasis on cover use over that any day.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    They fixed all of that with RDR 2.......but rdr 2 was boring :P

^ Top  
  4. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I liked Michael's story in GTA5 a good bit. Franklin's was okay. Less serious than GTA4 sure, but GTA4 is the outlier there, the rest all feel more silly. Trevor's campaign was the one that annoyed me for various reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    They did a pretty great job of making me hate Trevor right from the start by
    Show Spoiler
    having him kill Johnny Klebitz. Johnny was a pretty great character. I liked how he actually wanted the Lost to keep a low profile and he was basically rebelling against a psycho boss

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    [​IMG]

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    I did not care for character switching in V. There is something about sticking with a single character through one of these long journeys that is more satisfying to me.

• Agree Agree x 8
    ^ Top  
  8. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Most likely removed, as in rdr 2 you play as one.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Another thing: can we please have diversions back that actually fit the premise of the series. What the fuck is tennis? Who's got time for that when there are rampages to go on, drugs to run, hos to pimp, turfs to take over, etc. Volition got it right in SR2.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I agree that those things aren't much fun, but as far as fitting in? From what I've gathered from watching documentaries and reading, many gangsters take an interest in passtimes that are traditionally considered the domain of the wealthy/aristocracy. Such as tennis and golf.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)