Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Guard Duty - comedy adventure game where you travel between the sci-fi future and the medieval past

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2108195294/guard-duty-point-and-click-through-time-and-space/
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=869710250

https://www.sickchicken.com/

https://af.gog.com/game/guard_duty?as=1649904300

Guard Duty is a classically styled Adventure Game featuring a unique story where past events influence those of the distant future.
  • A full stand-alone game spanning across two drastically different time zones - Past or future, choose your actions wisely. This is not a tale for the faint of heart.
  • Full open world to explore - Venture past the Deadwoods, head North through the Wildlands or return to Wrinklewood for a swift pint at your leisure.
  • Multiple protagonists - take control of both Tondbert and Agent Starborn, each with their own unique mechanic for interacting with the world.
  • Hand crafted pixel art True to the era, our game is created in a tidy 320x240 resolution and styled like a true 90's point and click. It will look great on your Grandma's CRT.
  • Hundreds of bespoke animations with glorious full screen cutscenes All of our art is created by the raw might of one man, so you can be sure that all of the assets will sit perfectly together.
  • Full voice cast With Tondbert voiced by our artist and many other characters already cast we're ready to rumble. We record all our sound in-house to the highest quality.
  • Unique music tracks for each of the game's locationsOur musician has been working closely with our artist to really nail the atmosphere, Wrinklewood alone already features 15 unique songs.
  • Bespoke sound design - All of our audio has been created specifically for this project, be it the clatter of a goat's hooves or the quaint ambiance of the depths of hell.
  • Integrated 'to-do list' keeps track of current goals and objectivesNever lose sight of your goal, Guard Duty features a familiar RPG styled quest tracking system.
  • Streamlined inventory system and puzzle designWhilst being true to the genre we have also tried to streamline the gameplay experience to match the standards of modern adventure games.
ffb68efa00c0cad4d8375c96f91043c8_original.png

Guard Duty is a point and click adventure game taking place across a rich and diverse fantasy setting. Take control of two protagonists living thousands of years apart, with locations ranging from enchanted forests to dystopian cities of the future. Guard Duty is a game rooted in a Medieval setting, but featuring a unique story where past events drastically influence those of the distant future. The game will be released as a stand-alone title with hundreds of animations, full motion cutscenes and a charming variety of British voice actors.

10631e0ef2914b561f99dee9286e4760_original.gif

af897819e7994475ca86ef9c93a03ce2_original.gif

We started this project with one focus, to create our dream adventure game, one that draws influence from all the best bits of our favourite games and movies. We've taken the humour of Discworld, the charm of Monkey Island and written a game with the scope of a Hollywood blockbuster, gluing everything together with what we feel is a fresh approach to the puzzle adventure genre. We really wanted to create something that felt right at home next to the great LucasArts and Sierra games of the 90s, whilst also improving on the foundation built by these titles by introducing a more user friendly gameplay progression: more logical puzzles, less lengthy dialogue and a healthy dose of fun.

b2ee8150425499b210495d42158c363d_original.png

Explore Wrinklewood and venture into the Wildlands:

88267fd26009b38ed5b37884c3910e88_original.png

When a teenage apprentice stumbles upon his father’s collection of Demonic literature he learns of a long forgotten ancient ritual, a recipe for destruction, death and the promise of immortality.

b1af517f33c9c02d5a83322c36e105c6_original.gif

An exchange of royal virgin blood for an eternity on the throne, to be king of the underworld, ruler of the mortal realm.’

With evil in his eyes, the apprentice embarks on the journey of a lifetime, one reaching far across the depths of time and space.

Take control of the first dynamic duo with a heritage line spanning multiple millennia! Destiny speaks of two men that can stop the young soon-to-be ruler of the world, well, more like one and a half men:

Agent Starborn, time travelling Lieutenant General of the Guardians of New Haven!

99140a760521f51654cf3b816e7775ec_original.gif

...and Tondbert, Night’s Watchmen of Wrinklewood, part time drunk and three quarter dwarf.

561f9a604f2a90bc993020c1c7cf9107_original.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nd-click-through-time-and-space/posts/1983930

Behind the Gates: Episode Two - Animation Overhaul and Chasing Chickens!

Hey guys!

Progress on the game is moving along nicely, I've been churning out backgrounds, adding new animations and generally working at 110%!

I have another episode of our 'Behind the Gates' series for you. I decided to keep this episode a little shorter and with a faster pace. Less waffle more content! In this episode we run through the process of revamping Tondbert's animation set, adding fake AI to chickens and take a look at a newly added location.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nd-click-through-time-and-space/posts/2202511

Guard Duty Official Trailer & Steam Page - Now live!

The official trailer is here!

I told you we had some neat stuff coming up :)

Guard Duty has a brand new trailer and is now available to wishlist on Steam.

Trailer on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/NcVo4-fc5Dw

Steam store page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/872750/Guard_Duty/

Help us spread the word:

It would really help us out of you could share the Steam page on any social platforms you might use. We're trying to really push the word out for this trailer and it's people like you that can help us do that!

We really need your support spreading the word, point and click that share button

As always, thanks you!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nd-click-through-time-and-space/posts/2388848

Guard Duty is coming to Windows, Mac and Linux this Spring! + New trailer!

Hey folks, I hope you all are having a wonderful new year. Thank you all for your continued support and patience. Today marks the first step in the road to release and I couldn't be more excited!

As you may have guessed from the title, I am very happy to say Guard Duty will be launching on Mac and Linux alongside the Windows version of the game. This has been a dream goal for me during development and I'm pleased to say we are working with someone who has a proven track record with porting AGS games to these platforms. I was a little over ambitious offering a Linux version of the game so early on, but thankfully we now have someone on board who has the experience to make this happen.

“When's Spring?” I hear you say! Well, we are still working out the final steps towards getting this game launched but I can confidently say that you won't have to wait much longer. We will be announcing an official release date soon, watch this space!

'Bloodlines'

I am very happy to show you our latest trailer, this time we're focusing on the fantasy elements of the game. You can watch the trailer below which features some fantastic voice over from one of the many talented voice artists you'll get to chat with in Guard Duty.

Thanks again and here's to an amazing 2019 filled with adventure!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Releasing May 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nd-click-through-time-and-space/posts/2470466

Guard Duty has a release date!
Posted by Nathan Hamley (Creator)

Hey gang, I'm very happy to announce that Guard Duty will be coming to Windows, Mac and Linux on May 2nd!

Thank you all so much for your support over the years, I couldn't have done it without you. We're crazy excited to finally be able to put a date on the release.

If you haven't already it would really help us out if you wishlisted the game over on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/872750/Guard_Duty/

Cheers!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I completed the game. They were not joking when they said they were making a streamlined game. The art is cool, and so is the music. The story is enjoyable enough, the game is quite short but it's also quite cheap. If you don't care about puzzles then you can go for it, but if you care then I don't recommend it.

Silentstorm

Learned
Kinda suprised to not see more people talking about this game since it looks great and reminds me of classics like Simon The Sorcerer, please don't tell me the game ended up sucking and that's why no one is talking about it!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
A few random thoughts:

(1) This game brings me back to a recurrent perplexity I have over cover art. Like, the game itself has really excellent art, including pretty cool cutscenes based on the trailer, but that cover would make you think it will have terrible art. The cover isn't particularly evocative of the genre, either. It looks to me most like NES-era console box art:
220px-BoxArtLolo1%28US%29.jpg

224587-adventure-island-3-nes-front-cover.png
And not at all like, say, Simon the Sorcerer's box art, even though the subject matter is actually similar:
362084-simon-the-sorcerer-dos-front-cover.jpg

(2) Steam review consensus is no puzzles to speak of. E.g., from a positive review: "To make it short if you expect any difficult puzzles, headscratchers or thinking around corners, this game isn't for you. The difficulty is really low it almost plays itself. But if want a short but humorous story with a few dark elements and a pinch of Cthulhu mythos, you can get a good time out of it." From a negative review: "Too short. Virtually no Puzzles. Too expensive. At Least wait till it's on sale." I don't understand how a game can be described (as it is in many reviews) as a love-letter to classic adventure games if it doesn't have puzzles, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(3) Devs seem very nice and enthusiastic, I think it's worth supporting them if you're not looking for a game with puzzles.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't understand how a game can be described (as it is in many reviews) as a love-letter to classic adventure games if it doesn't have puzzles, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Most likely because they're just parroting marketing-speak without much thought about what it actually means?

The game has very good visuals and atmosphere though, so I suppose at least in that way it is evocative of the classics. Otherwise it strikes me as more along the lines of Telltale than Sierra.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom