Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guidance please.

Master

Arbiter
Well i also played Oblivion and then older stuff. But i didnt went back all the way to the 80s. Lets face it, you have to be a major hipster to play Wizardry 1 today.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Most of the best have already been recommended so I'll just add that Vampire:Bloodlines (patched) is a good introduction to the RPG genre for younger people, if you wanna try something entirely different.

As for wizardry 1 making your own maps is great and all, but if you'd rather not do that, consider playing the Playstation "legacy of Llygamyn" version, which includes an automap.

Also, 'sup Drog.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I am completely new to CRPGs I have only played Pathfinder Kingmaker and I want more.
Underrail, Arcanum, Jagged Alliance 2, Gothic 2, RoA 2 Star Trail.

What exactly is a popamole?
It's what Yahtzee used to call Spunkgargleweewee.

What is the best D&D adaptation as a video game?
Try Temple of Elemental Evil

Can I say anything I want? has this forum been overrun by jap rpg fans?
Don't worry, this isn't gamefaqs.

I hope i like it here.
:love:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I agree 80s games are too far back to be worth bothering with. Most of the respected RPGs from the past are not worth bothering with imo. There are about 10 that are worth playing, luckily I picked out the best ones in my post that everyone reeeeeees at.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What the fuck are you on? Yea going from Pathfinder Kingmaker to Wizardry 1 is pretty jarring but it doesn’t bother me. Who the hell is Drog?

Plus I’m not like you oldfags I’m 17 years old and I grew up with people around me saying “ZOMG Skyrim/(Final Fantasy)/Mass Effect are the best games ever.

I found a YouTube video on the history of D&D games and after watching I was mind blown about all these RPGs that the mainstream doesn’t talk about. So hence I became interested and bought P:K and loved it. I haven’t even seen a real game manual, that shit is pretty cool and I’d rather be an incline than a fucking mainstream zombie.
Buckle up youngling, you're in for a ride.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
So, I’ll admit I’m a bit stuck in Wizardry. I’m playing the DOS version I have been unable to get past the first 5 mins of the 1st floor. My party has consisted of 3 fighters with maxed vitality and strength, a mage, priest, and a theif. If I even attempt to fight a little bit I always die before I can level up (I always run out of gold to quick and when I level up it doubles so farming more gold is tough.) I always make sure all my characters have 17-19 bonus points. For my main fighters I have the large shield, long sword, and chain mail. But I still run into 3 kobolts and maybe 3/4 orcs and get slaughtered immediately. I’m not trying to look up anything but holy fuck, rolling for chars for 5 hours is tiring me

I attempted to keep making characters and hope I could get lucky but that didn’t work? Any tips?
Maybe I’m just bad :(
:badnews:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Are you playing the first Wizardry? I think you should just get Wiz 8. Also read my earlier post and play all those. I am the only sane one here.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Yes I’m playing with “Wizardry, Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.” I have been drawing my graphs and shit but my ass has been whipped for the past 5 hours, it hurts so bad.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
PGBh5rr

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Unlike Might&Magic 1 and 2, individual battles should generally not be too hard in Wiz 1, as long as you go back to town to recuperate frequently.
Your party sounds good, except I'd prefer a Samurai to one of the Fighters.

Do you use spells? Remember the spells you get is tied to the Priest's Piety and Mage's Intelligence. If those stats are low it takes longer to get the higher level spells, and you may (can't remember, really) start with a poorer selection of starting spells.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Okay I’ll max I.Q for them I’m not sure what piety does though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The higher your Piety the sooner you will get all the Priest spells. My first Priest in Wiz 1 was really handicapped when getting new spells so slowly. The various Cure spells are vital.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
What are the max amount of bonus points the highest I’ve gotten is 19. And is their RNG attached to certain names? Cause I’ve noticed with certain names and alignment I tend to get the around the same number of bonus points.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think the highest is either 38 or 48.
IIRC you have a 5 or 10% chance of getting a bonus, and then 5 or 10% chance again to get the next bonus and so forth.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Been rolling an elf on the same alignment and same name for 15 mins, damn elves. With Dwarfs it took what like 1/2 mins.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If you want a challenge you should play other stuff. Icewind Dale 1 and 2 were awesome. New enough that you don't need to goof around drawing maps but old enough that they were right in the middle of gaming's golden era, before the decline.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Fuck no, they can wait I’m enjoying wizardry and I will play in my order. Now I understand why people called you retarded gtfo. I will the IE games when I get to them.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
My problem is you keep trying to steer me away from Wizardry 1 because you think it’s for dumbass hipsters. I’ll play whatever hippy shit I like.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OP needs some time to go through the classics, to go through the bellcurve of what games were and fully appreciate where they could have inclined/gone...to fully appreciate where they are today, and be able to subsequently know the meaning of decline.
They may not have been a RPG, but if you can pick them up at GOG - buy Syndicate and Syndicate Wars. Squad-based, real time strategy, destructable terrain, cybernetic implants and weapons through research and resource aquisition, cognitive/scientific and setting specific writing. Near as dammit to a RPG, and total classics.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What's wrong with NWN2 exactly? And do you really think this dipshit kid is better off playing Wizardry 1 than NWN2? The only answer to that is no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom