Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guidance please.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
The answer is yes.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
OP needs some time to go through the classics, to go through the bellcurve of what games were and fully appreciate where they could have inclined/gone...to fully appreciate where they are today, and be able to subsequently know the meaning of decline.
They may not have been a RPG, but if you can pick them up at GOG - buy Syndicate and Syndicate Wars. Squad-based, real time strategy, destructable terrain, cybernetic implants and weapons through research and resource aquisition, cognitive/scientific and setting specific writing. Near as dammit to a RPG, and total classics.
Wizardry is not a classic, it is 100 year old ascii shit that only a total autist would play today. If someone wanted a history lesson of RPGs they should start with Wiz 7, Wiz 8, Pools of Radiance and the first person SSI games like Eye of the Beholder 2, Krondor, Fallouts, and the IE games. Even that is going to take months at least.

The answer is yes.
You have no clue though you don't even know what NWN2 is. Stupid kid.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
If someone wanted a history lesson of RPGS they would play Orthnac, Moria, D&D, and pedite5 for the PLATO computer using the cyber1 program. You dipshit learn where your origins came from.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So why aren't you playing that shit? My point is that you can start later on much better games and not miss much but the games will be far better. You have no business calling anyone a dipshit.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Because cyber1 requires steps I don’t want go to through. And wizardry is basically a copy of Orthnac, so it really doesn’t matter.
I will be playing all the games you mentioned after I finish wizardry, PoR, Ultima 1. Why are you getting on my dick so much, let me play the shit I want to play.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I was talking hypothetically not about you. But the way you are going, a year from now you will still be stuck in 1982 and you'll probably give up long before then because games that old are so crappy.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Wizardry 1 is not a crappy game it’s just old it came out in 1981. I’ve been playing the game so, far and gotten used to the U.I. It’s not as badly aged as I thought it’s quite enjoyable the only thing that you takes up time is mapping dungeons, combat is quick along with grinding levels.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OP needs some time to go through the classics, to go through the bellcurve of what games were and fully appreciate where they could have inclined/gone...to fully appreciate where they are today, and be able to subsequently know the meaning of decline.
They may not have been a RPG, but if you can pick them up at GOG - buy Syndicate and Syndicate Wars. Squad-based, real time strategy, destructable terrain, cybernetic implants and weapons through research and resource aquisition, cognitive/scientific and setting specific writing. Near as dammit to a RPG, and total classics.
Wizardry is not a classic, it is 100 year old ascii shit that only a total autist would play today. If someone wanted a history lesson of RPGs they should start with Wiz 7, Wiz 8, Pools of Radiance and the first person SSI games like Eye of the Beholder 2, Krondor, Fallouts, and the IE games. Even that is going to take months at least.

The answer is yes.
You have no clue though you don't even know what NWN2 is. Stupid kid.

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I was talking hypothetically not about you. But the way you are going, a year from now you will still be stuck in 1982 and you'll probably give up long before then because games that old are so crappy.

I started in 2010 or 2011, playing nearly every classic and some not so classic CRPGs from Wizardry 1 to Nox, in addition to many non-CRPGs. Next up is Might&Magic 8.

I'm living proof that you are wrong.

Sigourn can tell you what happens if you try to play every PLATO game chronologically, though.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I would recommend is taking notes of what you liked and disliked with every RPG that you played. Doing so will allow you to compare yourself to your younger self in several years, for one, second, will allow you to have a perspective on RPG evolution and progress (or regress), but more importantly it will allow you to refine your taste.

Even though there is, largely, consensus of ideas on the Codex, many of the opinions that you will encounter will be shone (using that word loosely here) to you through the prism of education, experience and, above all, personal taste. And so it is my friendly suggestion that you keep yourself organized in your ideas. Even though you don't feel the need right now, and especially when discussing to your more... elderly... peers here.

I also recommend you play all of your future RPGs blind. That being said, ask for advice and comment on what you find an obstacle. Many of us conversed with our peers in our youth, and many of the games we beat were beat because of shared knowledge.

In any case, don't give up. You started playing RPGs, as far as I can tell, because you felt sort-of like Neo (The Matrix) - there was a nagging splinter in your world - you looked around and couldn't relate to being sedated, and wanted to experience emotion. This is good. You will. It will be hard, but don't give up. Endure. In enduring, grow strong. ;)

Oh... and try to keep open-world RPGs towards the end. They can be a bit time consuming.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

I started in 2010 or 2011, playing nearly every classic and some not so classic CRPGs from Wizardry 1 to Nox, in addition to many non-CRPGs. Next up is Might&Magic 8.

I'm living proof that you are wrong.

Sigourn can tell you what happens if you try to play every PLATO game chronologically, though.
Your life sounds like a blast.

Master

Arbiter
You started playing RPGs, as far as I can tell, because you felt sort-of like Neo (The Matrix) - there was a nagging splinter in your world - you looked around and couldn't relate to being sedated, and wanted to experience emotion.
Or like Preston, from Equilibrium.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I don’t have permission, damn. I’ve read all the threads I wanted to. Now what the fuck am I supposed to do? Be bored?

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Wait why the fuck do I have to give money in order to look at the trump thread. :negative:

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I’m sitting in class doing nothing what RPGs on a fucking iPhone should I play? I’ll stick to reading the trump thread.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I know some really good ones, but fuck you, also listen to your teacher, try to learn to be less of a dipshit.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Your referring to yourself as my teacher? From what I understand you like shit games, so fuck you. And why the fuck would I play a mobile game? You fucking dipshit. And seriously your avatar just triggers me and it makes me laugh cause you look like such a dumbshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom