Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars Prophecies

merry andrew

Erudite
I'm playing through the Prophecies campaign in preparation for the Eye of the North expansion. Tonight I got further than I did the first time I played so I figure my commitment is rock solid. My name on there is Merry Andrew. Let me know if you'd like to join me on a murderous rampage for great buttkicking.

Yeah, I've been playing it over the last few weeks, me and a few friends got our own guild set up and we're now running around Kryta failing missions.

ixg

Erudite
Gosh, tempting. I haven't played in months but I guess I can/might.

whatusername

Scholar
I would play if it didn't take forever for the client to update. I haven't played for ages, and it's impossible to play because all the updating is done when you load up that particular map.

merry andrew

Erudite
I had a lot of trouble getting the game decently to run when I last installed it. The installation basically gives you an .exe file and one huge .dat file. The .dat file can get pretty messed up during updates, especially if you've just used the downloadable client.

I know it's supposed to be a 'background download' but the best thing to do until you have a stable client is let the download finish while you're on the login screen. You'll know it's downloading by the little lightningbolt in the lower right corner of the screen. If you hover your cursor over it, you can monitor its progress.

Then you can decompress that huge .dat file by adding -image to the end of the Target in the Properties of a shortcut for the gw.exe file (ex. "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -image) and executing it. It can take a while. When it's finished, just remove the -image tag to start the game as you normally would. Now when you enter a new area, it won't need to decompress like it usually does.

Lastly, since your .dat file is probably fragmented all to hell, and standard defragmenters usually skip over it since it's just one file... you can use a program able to defragment single files like Contig. You can use it with the Windows command prompt by executing something like this: C:\Contig\contig "c:\program files\guild wars\gw.dat" -v. I had something like 2000+ fragments be reduced to one.

After I did all of the above, my average framerate went from 20 fps to 80 and I'm no longer annoyed by 'background downloads' or decompressing in-game because I try to take care of all of that before I play. It's lame, but it works.

merry andrew

Erudite
I finished all the missions and now it sucks because I need to play with other people to complete the post-campaign quests (almost all of them contain level 20+ enemies but only gives you access to henchmen of lesser levels) . I even captured all of the elite skills for my primary profession. It might be neat to play with a guild that's into the PvE stuff, or play through again on Hard Mode and earn more titles that I don't care about... but meh.

I think maybe most of the fun for me was dealing with the henchmen AI or with the people who didn't seem to know what's going on. I barely remember the missions I went through with really skilled people because it wasn't challenging.

Anyway, I won't delete my character and I'll keep watching this thread.

psycojester

Arbiter
I've never understood people who play through guildwars only using henchmen. The majority of the fun is the dynamic of an intelligent party.

Shannow

Waster of Time
psycojester said:
I've never understood people who play through guildwars only using henchmen. The majority of the fun is the dynamic of an intelligent party.
That is an elusive beast that i have been hunting for quite some time. I have yet to find a trail...

@Merry: I still have to finish the titan-quests. As soon as i have my new system i'll call on you (if you still want to play then ;) )

merry andrew

Erudite
psycojester said:
I didn't use henchmen for every mission, but the vast majority for sure. I saved a lot of time opting for henchmen over incompetent players.

I met a warrior in the Crystal Desert who wielded an axe but loaded his skill bar with tactics and swordsmanship skills. When a more experienced player in our party kindly suggested what skills he take to become more useful, he revealed to us that he didn't have skills that could be acquired in pre-Searing...

I don't have Nightfall, but with the addition of heroes, people are playing through the campaigns more often by themselves... and with good reason. Usually you can wait around all day to come across decent people, or just take henchmen and move on.

I still have to finish the titan-quests. As soon as i have my new system i'll call on you
Sounds good! I thought it'd be easier to find people wanting to do those quests, but apparently a lot of them don't want to finish the quests so they can farm the titan armies :roll:

psycojester

Arbiter
I met a warrior in the Crystal Desert who wielded an axe but loaded his skill bar with tactics and swordsmanship skills.

Important fact to remember all warriors are retarded, warrior monks doubly so

Shannow

Waster of Time
psycojester said:
I met a warrior in the Crystal Desert who wielded an axe but loaded his skill bar with tactics and swordsmanship skills.

Important fact to remember all warriors are retarded, warrior monks doubly so
Thanks, i haven't been called retarded today. I knew there was something missing ;)
Of course, if there were any competent monks around, i just might go for warrior/paragon *g*

I'm not sure wether you need to have finished Prophesies in order to join for Titan-Quests. The warrior is the only one i know that finished the Prophesies missions.

cutterjohn

Cipher
I'm thinking about trying it out, but I really don't care for PvP in MMORPGs as I prefer to do that in TFC.

EDIT:
And, I've been playing Minions of Mirth fairly regularly again.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Sure i play.
I recently started up again last wednesday.

And i will buy Eye of North since it is an expansion for the original campaign.
Finally learn more about the Charr and why i got stuck with that broken flute (well maybe i'll learn why about the broken flute)

dragonfk

Erudite
From time to time I descend to Tyria, but not too often.

cutterjohn said:
I'm thinking about trying it out, but I really don't care for PvP in MMORPGs as I prefer to do that in TFC.

EDIT:

What is your oppinion about MoM ? Is it worth playing?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I still play solo every now and then.

I still have you old Codex fuckers in my friends list, but none of you are ever on. Oh well.

Last time I played with a Codexer was with Merry Andrew. And possibly Walks with Snails and Surlent (or maybe we just talked shit for a bit).

Mostly the game just depresses me these days. I usually play when I'm bored and lonely, and then the game makes me feel somehow even more lonely.

I remember when we all got started in it, it was a pretty good social online experience (well, as far as online experiences can be social). Everyone seemed pretty normal and sociable (even Sarvis!), possibly because we weren't verbally jousting in the Codex forum and were just trying to get along. Except for Saint, who mainly whinged a lot, the old fart.

Erzherzog

Magister
I play often but irregularly. Bought it since I could get all three campaigns for 75 bucks, and there was another forum I frequent with alot of Guild Wars players. Still relatively new. Not "HAY GUYZ I JUST REACHED LEVEL 20" new, but I still don't really get to play most other classes besides my own...

Pick up groups are a bitch. You will never get 7 other intelligent teammates. Normally I just go with 2 or 3 other guys and stock up on heroes.

cutterjohn

Cipher
dragonfk said:
From time to time I descend to Tyria, but not too often.

cutterjohn said:

EDIT:

What is your oppinion about MoM ? Is it worth playing?
Sorry, I had forgotten about this thread, temporarily, but yeah, MoM is OK, but then again, I don't exactly play a LOT of MMORPGs as the endless tedium of grinding, community annoyances, etc. eventually have driven me away from others that I have tried. Also the monthly subscription ones are a waste for me IMO as I just don't play frequently enough to justify even $5 a month IMO, let alone the usual $15.

So bearing all this in mind, MoM has no monthly fee, a low entry cost, a fairly decent clone of the old EQ, still being added to(fairly major update in May), possibility to run your own server and modify the "world", etc. I'd say that MoM is worth it. The MoM community is mostly decent to boot, although it is currently struggling with all the little kiddies who are out of school for the summer, and whose parents think that the intarweb makes a GREAT bratsitter. Although balancing this, I have been finding more decent people to group with, which makes the grinding go much more quickly as compared to solo, and have even joined a guild, but guilds don't really mean much in MoM ATM.

BTW: You CAN try out MoM for FREE. There is a free server, but you are limited to the "good" side races and classes, and are further limited to level 15 for your primary character class, and level 5 for your secondary class, and CANNOT gain the tertiary class on free, but it should give you a good idea about the game itself as far as play goes. Free server also does not include some of the better equipment, although people who have paid(have the "premium" version) can also play on the free server and DO have access to all the "premium" equipment, just as on the other "premium" servers IOW "premium" people just treat free as another premium server that tends to have higher player pop sometimes. What else? Free server also restricts free players to a total of 3 characters(I've forgotten how many premium players can have, but I have 3 primary characters that I use, plus a bunch(8?) of mule characters left over from the pre-bank/vault days.)

MoM's graphics aren't that hot, but they're not that bad either, and it will run well on fairly modest machines as the reqs are windows, 1GHz CPU, 64M GPU, and IIRC 256M RAM although if you only have 256M of RAM any longer, it's LONG since past time to upgrade.

There have also been some player run events recently for MoM. A week ago Saturday they had a "naked" halfling race(I won it), and last Saturday they had some sort of PvP event, although they apparently were having problems with some of the said brats interfering with it... Apparently they seem to be trying to make the PvP tournament a weekly or at least, fairly frequent, event.

To repeat: Beyond that, as I mentioned they're continuing to add(and complete) some quests, skills, crafting, etc. It's highly moddable if you want to invest the time in it, and you can run your own server if you want to, so IMO it's worth $30 or whatever they're charging for it nowadays.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
My IGN is "I Heal Morons". I've been thinking of starting a proph character myself (warrior). Let me know in game if you are playing.

The_Pope

Scholar
I play it a bit.

Character name is Darth Benedict.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom