Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company News Gygax Games partner with Fig to publish a game based on Gary Gygax's unpublished "personal campaign"

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This is interesting, but any developer that picks this up hopefully understands that Lejendary Advenures and the Hall of Many Panes are both quite different than anything one would expect from a D&D-based video game. The classes and races of Lejendary Adventures are very much it's own thing, such as how the kobold is a playable race more akin to an elven fae character than a short, draconic humanoid. Melee combat is a lot more deadly, but magic is both more specific to types and reduced in how often it can be employed. In true Gygax fashion, character advancement is also not combat-based. I know this may seem a surprise to many of you, but originally D&D advancement was based on treasure won and less on enemies defeated, as every GP of treasure equalled 1 XP, so a thief character could do well in a sneaking-based campaign, like a tabletop version of the Thief video game series, or a magic-user could win a bunch of XP by charming a monster and convincing it to give up its loot.

As for the Hall of Many Panes, it doesn't take itself very seriously, with each mini-dimension (of each pane) being its own crazy, small romp. One such mini-adventure transforms the players into a bunch of walking acorns that need to pass a small piece of squirrel-filled forest in order to reach the MacGuffin. Anyway, I own LA and the Hall of Many Panes and really enjoyed playing both. I believe it is still played at GaryCon each year at Lake Geneva. But it is more than a little obscure.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Wasn't there some rule that xp gains it's based on treasure spent,rather than treasure accumulated?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Some very codexian comments from http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2018/04/whats-10-years-old-and-losing-value.html

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    • Informative x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yep, the Tenkar's Tavern blog is great grognardy goodness: http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2018/04/more-thoughts-on-gygax-games-fig.html

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    No, that was an alternate rule I had mentioned that I liked to incorporate sometimes in order to make my players spend money as fast as they make it, like Conan. In the original rules, you earned XP for treasure gained. But with my adoption of this house rule, characters always were looking to spend instead of horde. If your characters are always perpetual broke, whether spending it on fortresses and guards or hookers and ale, they are always going to be looking for the next big score.

If I was ever to create a video game based on high fantasy model of fiction, I'd somehow incorporate the spend GP to make XP house rule, have them have to buy food and water and basics to survive, and make the setting the Wilderlands of High Fantasy to encourage players to constantly want to explore the sandbox while blowing their money on frivolties.

^ Top  
  6. screeg Iron Tower Studio Developer

screeg
    Ah yes, the family members want to collaborate and have final sign-off on all decisions. Sounds like a dream deal! Wish I had $10,000,000 to throw at that.

Infinitron: you've obviously put a *LOT* more thought into this than Alex Gygax. To me his pitch sounds like, he had a great idea and he's throwing it out there expecting someone else to do all the heavy lifting. He gets to contribute creatively, as much as he feels like, then reaps the benefits.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    While i see today that XPs are based on gathered fighting experience, i quite like the idea of spending money as fast as you make it, for becoming a better adventurer. Perhaps there is a nice intersection between this XPs paradigmas, like in "Conan the Cimmerian" (1992) computer game, where you spend most of the money you earn on skills and equipment. Paying for training (HP, THAC0, and etc), equipment and skills could be a solution and while on a adventure you cannot raise this things, like in Pool of Radiance and Bard's Tale where you had to pay to advance in levels and for new spells that you would learn.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. baud Learned

baud
    Thank you.
    Link for the lazy: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/author/FelipePepe/982590/

^ Top  
  9. Bohrain Learned

Bohrain
    It's also something that would solve the lack of moneysink that many CRPG's tend to have especially towards endgame.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Quantomas Learned

Quantomas
    Chances are that the Gygax Trust contacted InXile or Obsidian and that they suggested Fig. In this case they certainly had a look at the source material first and concluded that it isn't that good to drive sales on its own.

^ Top  
  11. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    An article by Jon Pickens in Dragon Magazine #10 (October 1977) suggested that experience points only be awarded for treasure spent rather than treasure obtained, specifically citing Leiber's Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser. However, this rule was not adopted into AD&D, though it did include mandatory monthly expenses for PCs, which increased with their level as well as the need to maintain henchmen and strongholds. Plus, the actual act of gaining a level, after having acquired sufficient experience, required a considerable expenditure of both time and money.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Now that is an impressive reasearch. RPG.net? ("Too Much Loot in Your Campaign? D&D Option: Orgies, Inc." Jon Pickens The Dragon #10)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    I just looked up that issue online... the associated image is... well, NSFW... Man, this just makes me love the early years of D&D that much more. I talked to Tom Wham in person once, and he said they used to smoke pot while working on the magazine... and it shows.

NSFW image:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Nah, I recently read through all issues of Dragon Magazine (and its short-lived predecessor, the Strategic Review) from the beginning to the demise of TSR, taking brief notes on which articles are useful for gaming. I knew that the idea of requiring PCs to spend treasure in order to gain experience had been advocated by various people as a house-rule over the decades, but I was surprised to see it appear in print so early.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. aratuk Arbiter

aratuk
    I can more easily see "early discussions" being permissive of the idea of family members' input, than allowing that input to be binding once the money starts to run through the hourglass. Like, maybe they get to make a few preliminary stipulations and sit in on some meetings, but they get to dictate the game about as much as Queen Elizabeth II gets to govern, right? We'll make you feel very special about your inherited position, but we won't let you actually do anything.

And how does it benefit anyone to talk about this right now, anyway? Either it's pointless buzz since these kind of closed-purse discussions don't usually go anywhere, or there's more to it than they've said.

:M

I'm leaning toward pointless.

^ Top  
  16. Heretic Savant

Heretic
    Interesting

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)