Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That's the point, retards, all this is completely pointless "gameplay", just busywork. :lol:

No, man, instead of using such antiquated things as a keyboard, now you wave your hands around like a retard. Gameplay is truly revolutionized with this one simple device!

Not sure what mimicking picking something up vs. pressing a button to do it has to do with gameplay exactly, but VR drones sure have been brainwashed into thinking this is some amazing thing.

This is literally like the cretins who think that 3D modelling will be better in VR. Cuz ur right there bro u can liek move the model with your hands!!!

Not much different from the touch-screen faggots either. That had and probably still has similar cases of zombies. Durr butt touchscreen muh immershun innovative gaemplay changes gaems forever. Oh wait, I guess it did. For the worse. Which is what VR will do if it really catches on.

Imagine thinking that anyone doing VR games has any interest in gameplay instead of gimmicks and just selling "the new shit". :lol: You must be a Dexter-level retard to fall for this shit.

Dexter

Arcane
Lulz:
x31sfltmb3141.png

cgjhuxug13141.png

Dayyālu

Arcane
NO GAMES! NO GAMES! SHOVELWARE! SHOVELWARE! Yeah I think I'm done here.

I'm glad you admit defeat :D

Dumping lists or gimmicks a point does not make. I mantain my opinion: the entirety of the VR output until now has been mediocre or gimmicky. We will need to see what happens after HL: VR, and even then it needs to be evaluated as a Half Life game and as a shooter.

I'm entirely up to recognize VR as a proper gaming accessory if it's managed properly: your laundry list of badly looking shovelware developed by morons and hysterical replies aren't managing to sell the point well. Again, we'll need to wait, watch and see. Who knows, if it's good enough in three-four years, if the tech manages to evolve properly and the prices nosedive, I can consider one. I wonder how it would be playing stuff like Steel Armour: Blaze of War in VR.

I've seen VR applied in museums to give you "the battle experience", and it's interesting! But as a shooter? I need proof.

JDR13

Arcane
Yeah...no. It's going to take more than that for me to shell out $1500 for a peripheral that I can't use with 98% of my game library.

Just give us Half-Life 3, and do it the old-fashioned way!

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I did not read the entirety of the thread.

Vr is at a level now where it needs to be pushed. Otherwise the technology will become toxic for investors again for a bunch of years.

The hardware is already there, the software is lagging behind.

I understand the sour grapes arguments put forth in this thread, but I have no sympathy for them. Vr needs more and better content now, wether vr-supported or vr-exclusive. This technology offers so much in being able to actually work in 3 dimensions, which opens up massive amounts of opportunities for advancement of the entire planet.

Especially the valve Index is a good long step in the right direction.

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Mixed feelings about this one.

It looks great, Half-Life is back (sorta?), and I really want to explore the H-L universe more. But I probably still won't purchase a VR system for this.

Also... I somewhat congratulate Valve for making a massive leap of faith as they did with Steam back in 2004, and it paid off.
Gabe believed in digital distribution, and the risk was justified. He also believes in VR almost as much. I just hope this doesn't flop as Steam Machines did because we surely won't be seeing H-L 3 in that case.

Perkel

Arcane
Saw this the other day, I have a feeling that immersive sims can thrive in VR.

What is Wii controler ? I feel like that lesson wasn't something people learned from.
The faster motion retards and developers will starve out the faster real games will start to be converted into VR.

Until those retards figure out force feedback (good luck with that) it will be effectively the same as wheel not attached to anything, absolutely garbage.

There are few cases where it works like FPS games but everything else is just atrocious to play with and it is not like you can't use mouse instead of motion controled for FPS games and still have detached camera from gun movement.
Half-Life2 mods had it and it was pretty amazing even without VR. HL2 VR doesn't support motion controlers and yet you can point out gun separately from your head with mouse and it works really well.

cosmicray

Savant
Also... I somewhat congratulate Valve for making a massive leap of faith as they did with Steam back in 2004, and it paid off.
Massive leap of faith by forcing online activation for retail? It's not like they released it digital-only.

Dexter

Arcane
I just hope this doesn't flop as Steam Machines did because we surely won't be seeing H-L 3 in that case.
Valve didn't actually directly invest anything into the "Steam Machines", they just did a partner program with hardware manufacturers.

As for VR:
https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-sold-out-stock-half-life-alyx/
Valve Index Backordered Until After Christmas Due to “recent high demand” in Some Regions
By Ben Lang
Dec 2, 2019

Most packages of Index, Valve’s high-end VR headset released earlier this year, are sold out in a handful of regions following last week’s announcement of Half-Life: Alyx.

Update (December 2nd, 2019): Just days after we spotted that Index has been sold out in some regions following the announcement of Half-Life: Alyx, the Index ‘full kit’ now notes that “delivery before December 25th cannot be guaranteed” due to “recent high demand” on the US and Canadian Steam stores.

The other packages (headset + controllers, headset-only, and controllers-only) in the US are still out of stock with a “Back in Stock Soon” message in place of the “Add to Cart” button.

Original Article (November 27th, 2019): If Valve is counting on Half-Life: Alyx being a killer app for VR, early signs suggest they may just get their wish.

While Valve’s Index headset was backordered at launch earlier this year, a few months later it became available for ‘immediate shipping’ and stock appears to have held steady ever since… until now.

Following last week’s announcement of Half-Life: Alyx, most Index packages—the headset-only, controllers-only, and headset + controller packages—are currently listed in the US and Canadian stores as sold out with a ‘Back in Stock Soon’ message in place of the order button.

As for the ‘full kit’ package (headset + controllers + base stations) in the US, Valve is advising that anyone ordering today can “expect delivery before December 25th,” nearly a month from now.

Valve sells Index in 31 countries; so far we’ve confirmed stock shortages in the US and Canada.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-rift-s-black-friday-no-stock/
Oculus Quest And Rift S Sold Out On US Amazon
David Heaney
December 03, 2019
In the wake of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday weekend, both of Facebook’s room scale virtual reality headsets are out of stock on the US Amazon.

Both models of the Oculus Quest are entirely out of stock, no longer even showing the regular price. Third party resellers are available, but these are unofficial and start at over $600.

PC-based Oculus Rift S can still be ordered, but won’t be in stock until December 22. If stock continues to sell out, this could be one of the last chances to get it before Christmas from Amazon.

The Rift S had been on sale for $349 from Thanksgiving Thursday until Cyber Monday yesterday. That’s a reduction of $50 from the regular price of $399.

This sale came just one week after the announcement of Half-Life: Alyx, Valve’s flagship VR game which officially supports the Rift S. The stock situation could be a result of PC gamers deciding this game and this price make this the right time to jump in. In fact, Valve’s own $999 Index PC VR system is also backordered, until beyond Christmas.

The Oculus Quest all-in-one headset wasn’t on sale, however Facebook is now bundling all three episodes of Vader Immortal, worth $30 together. The Star Wars franchise is immensely popular, with the first episode being the second most rated paid app on the Quest store, only losing out to Beat Saber.

It’s now just two weeks after the release of Oculus Link beta, a feature which lets the Quest act as a PC VR headset via USB 3.0 cable. So the hype around Half-Life: Alyx could also have contributed to Quest’s sell out too. However, Facebook has said on multiple occasions that it is selling Quest “as fast as we can make them. So even the Vader Immortal bundle may have been all it took to deplete available stock.

In retrospect it's actually kinda remarkable how they planned out the Launch period, they put up the HMD for Sale in June, letting all the people who wanted to Pre-Order based on Tech without the software incentive do so, which made it sell out till like August/September and gave them a rough estimate of what production numbers they need, they announced the game in Late November and a few days before their "Autumn Sale" on November 26 so it doesn't take any spotlight from it, even put it on the front page for the first few days making the kit sell out again. Then they had their big Sale, the next Trailer and Info is set to drop on the 11th next week (no doubt with more front page placement on Steam) ahead of their Christmas Sale which starts on the 19th, giving it and the Valve Index another full week of spotlight and Pre-Christmas Sales before their second big Sale. I'm sure there'll be more before release in Late March and this is just one of their three "big VR games".

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
In retrospect it's actually kinda remarkable how they planned out the Launch period, they put up the HMD for Sale in June, letting all the people who wanted to Pre-Order based on Tech without the software incentive do so, which made it sell out till like August/September and gave them a rough estimate of what production numbers they need, they announced the game in Late November and a few days before their "Autumn Sale" on November 26 so it doesn't take any spotlight from it, even put it on the front page for the first few days making the kit sell out again. Then they had their big Sale, the next Trailer and Info is set to drop on the 11th next week (no doubt with more front page placement on Steam) ahead of their Christmas Sale which starts on the 19th, giving it and the Valve Index another full week of spotlight and Pre-Christmas Sales before their second big Sale. I'm sure there'll be more before release in Late March and this is just one of their three "big VR games".

VR is still (imho) super pricey and way too clunky. I wanted to like it, but I just can't get over the fact you constantly need to have that massive brick strapped onto your face. Then again, it is the most immersive way to play games. But the VR games are still shit. Hope HL:A changes something.

Tehdagah

Arcane

It looks great, Half-Life is back (sorta?), and I really want to explore the H-L universe more. But I probably still won't purchase a VR system for this.

Gabe believed in digital distribution, and the risk was justified. He also believes in VR almost as much. I just hope this doesn't flop as Steam Machines did because we surely won't be seeing H-L 3 in that case.
Not really a risky move, the innovative Valve is gone, for the past 10 years the were all about following trends.

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer

Not really a risky move, the innovative Valve is gone, for the past 10 years the were all about following trends.

They got lazy. Too lazy. Thankfully, epic started to make some commotion so Valve finally woke up.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Ah yes, the popular trends of in-home streaming, controller design and manufacturing, VR headsets and Linux.
Aside of Linux they were/are all trends.

They got lazy. Too lazy. Thankfully, epic started to make some commotion so Valve finally woke up.
Now that you mentioned Epic, the Battle Pass system was pretty innovative and removed the need of lootboxes and pay2win mechanics in f2p games.

ADL

Prophet
They were the ones who originally invested in VR before Oculus
In-home streaming is extremely valuable, especially in the case of VR so a "VR room" with a dedicated high spec isn't required for the living room
Steam Controller played into the fact that they created the most robust customization/compatibility layers for controllers so it made sense to create their own hardware

Tehdagah

Arcane
In-home streaming is extremely valuable, especially in the case of VR so a "VR room" with a dedicated high spec isn't required for the living room
Steam Controller played into the fact that they created the most robust customization/compatibility layers for controllers so it made sense to create their own hardware
Still trends.

Sentinel

Arcane
Still trends.
How are any of those trends you fucking retard? Are you aware of what "trend" means?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom