Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Remember when Valve made games and not gimmicks to sell their shitty marginalized tech? Gabe became Howard Hughes about a decade ago.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
True, there's even a commentary in Episode Two which describes one scripted sequence as being developped for Episode Three but it looked cool and was ready enough they decided to move it to the earlier episode. I wonder what exactly happened that derailed the whole episodic approach - I understand the time between releases wasn't short enough, which made the episodes make no sense, but something had to happen that made them stop working on anything new at all...

The way things are done at Valve is basically you work on what you want to work on. No one wanted to work on episode 3 or HL3. That's why it never happened.

I'm sure there was an interview a while back where Gabe said people kept reviving the project and getting nowhere with it.

Point being, I'm not sure there was zero desire, but there seemed to be a lot of trouble getting anything off the ground.

ADL

Prophet
I'm sure there was an interview a while back where Gabe said people kept reviving the project and getting nowhere with it.

Point being, I'm not sure there was zero desire, but there seemed to be a lot of trouble getting anything off the ground.
I'd be surprised if they ever end up doing Half-Life 2 Episode 3 as a standalone project rather than just a quick 20 minute prologue leading into yet another time skip given that Epistle 3 is accepted as canon by the fans, Project Borealis being a thing and the team seemingly wanting to do something dramatically different.

I'm not convinced that Alyx isn't Episode 3 in one form or another. There's a reason why they're telling people to play Episode 2 before Alyx releases.

Project Borealis is looking good.

Venser

Erudite
They would sell A LOT more but the production can't keep up with the demand. Unfortunately you can't buy the Index right now.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My body is ready.

https://www.amazon.com/Avegant-Glyph-AG101-Video-Headsets/dp/B01MQWK336

61Q8Q%2B96bwL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder if they intentionally chose that date, because 23, 2 to 3 or something. I think Monday release, especially for big games, is not common.

soulburner

Cipher
I hope someone mods it so it's playable without the VR headset. I'm a poor potato and can't trade food for an entertainment device ;) I already spend too much on games themselves.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I hope someone mods it so it's playable without the VR headset. I'm a poor potato and can't trade food for an entertainment device ;) I already spend too much on games themselves.

Same for me but because I'm blind in one eye and don't want to buy an expensive headset or waste computing power on a second screen that does nothing for me

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

I could afford it, but I just don't like to buy a gadget for one or two must-have exclusives. Same with consoles. It's illogical, and it looks stupid anyway.

Modders will hopefully fix it.

Venser

Erudite
The game was built around motion controls and the feeling of interacting with objects with your own hands, so if it gets modded it's gonna be a bastardized version that completely misses the point.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The game was built around motion controls and the feeling of interacting with objects with your own hands, so if it gets modded it's gonna be a bastardized version that completely misses the point.

I have zero interest in a game like that, and others who share my opinion should just accept the game isn't for you. You don't have to play everything.

OctavianRomulus

Learned

I have zero interest in a game like that, and others who share my opinion should just accept the game isn't for you. You don't have to play everything.

I agree. Not everyone had the money for a 3D accelerator in the 90s or a powerful GPU for Crysis. This is the same thing now and I am glad Half Life is he face of it. Just another HL2 episode with better graphics and maybe a gimmick gun would not cut it. It has to be groundbreaking.

Sentinel

Arcane
You could play Crysis on a shit GPU. It was maxing it that was the problem. I played through it on a 1600XT with 256MB VRAM. The VR hardware situation isn't even comparable.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
You could play Crysis on a shit GPU. It was maxing it that was the problem. I played through it on a 1600XT with 256MB VRAM. The VR hardware situation isn't even comparable.

Well I had a GeForce 4 and I had a pretty shit time with it. It ran badly even on my GTS 250, which was basically a better GTX 9800. Finally, the frame dipped even on my 2011 HD 6970.

Sentinel

Arcane

Well I had a GeForce 4 and I had a pretty shit time with it. It ran badly even on my GTS 250, which was basically a better GTX 9800. Finally, the frame dipped even on my 2011 HD 6970.
And all you had to do was upgrade your GPU. For HL:Alyx/VR games you need not only to upgrade your hardware but you also need special controllers©, headset™, and base stations® just to play a fucking game.

OctavianRomulus

Learned

And all you had to do was upgrade your GPU. For HL:Alyx/VR games you need not only to upgrade your hardware but you also need special controllers©, headset™, and base stations® just to play a fucking game.

Well yeah, 3D accelerators were not that accessible back in the 90s either. People thought id were crazy for requiring one for Quake 3.

I want some innovation, I want the next big thing. Everything is becoming more boring. If this game kickstarts a new revolution like HL1 did then I am all for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom