Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Tehdagah

Arcane
Hmmm

They were the ones who originally invested in VR before Oculus
In-home streaming is extremely valuable, especially in the case of VR so a "VR room" with a dedicated high spec isn't required for the living room
Steam Controller played into the fact that they created the most robust customization/compatibility layers for controllers so it made sense to create their own hardware
Still trends.
How are any of those trends you fucking retard? Are you aware of what "trend" means?
VR = everyone wants a piece of its cake, but Valve has a huge advantage called fans.
Streaming between platforms = started at the beginning of the decade, Sony had remote play with VITA and PS3.
Controller for PC = really?

And of course all their games now are based on trends.

Sentinel

Arcane
VR = everyone wants a piece of its cake, but Valve has a huge advantage called fans.
wtf, what did I miss? who's this "everyone"? Is it EA? Nintendo? Sony? Blizzard? Activision? Microsoft? Take-Two? Square Enix? Ubisoft? I certainly missed all these new VR games and devices coming out from all these developers. People have been saying on the internet that VR is dead and incredibly niche market but apparently you hold some secret data that reveals it's actually incredibly trendy and everyone is after this money printing machine.
Streaming between platforms = started at the beginning of the decade, Sony had remote play with VITA and PS3.
Ah yes the VITA/PS3/PS4 streaming system. So successful that Sony straight up backed out of the handheld business because of it. Once again, remarkable trend. Wtf were sony thinking? There's clearly billions in there and everyone is having a sip of the gold wine that is remote streaming according to you. By the way, it's so trendy and popular that Valve also discontinued the Steam Link hardware line.
Controller for PC = really?
yeah i don't think I need to say anything

Dexter

Arcane
Is it EA?
https://www.oculus.com/blog/respawn...-and-beyond-coming-soon-to-the-rift-platform/
Nintendo?
https://labo.nintendo.com/kits/vr-kit/

https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/25/...lay-roundup-no-mans-sky-blood-truth-and-more/
Microsoft?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-mixed-reality
Take-Two?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/722230/LA_Noire_The_VR_Case_Files/
Square Enix?
https://finalfantasyxv.square-enix-games.com/en/playstation-vr
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/franchise/virtual-reality-games
https://www.dualshockers.com/splinter-cell-assassins-creed-oculus-vr/
https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/09/ubisoft-building-50-person-team-for-unannounced-vr-project/
I certainly missed all these new VR games and devices coming out from all these developers.
You sure did.

Admittedly some of the bigger players like Activision Blizzard or Take-Two that are more thinking of gaming as a packed goods industry like toilet paper with yearly exploitable franchises selling dozens of millions are only peripherally interested in VR for now, but I wouldn't entirely count them out.

People have been saying on the internet that VR is dead and incredibly niche market
Well, if people have been saying things...

By the way, it's so trendy and popular that Valve also discontinued the Steam Link hardware line.
The Steam Link was discontinued because it became obsolete and was replaced with an App already integrated in recent Smart TVs: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5613-TADC-2802

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
So Respawn/EA is going in 5 years after Valve. They're following the trend, not Valve. Thanks for proving my point and your inability to read.

None of the games you posted are full blown games, and some of them are just ports of already existing titles to VR (ie. almost no financial risk - LA Noire, Skyrim, Fallout, NMS, the 2 missions in AC7 in PSVR, Zelda, Mario...). They're cheap arcade tier theme parks. Again, if anyone is following any trend, it's other devs following Valve's already trodden path. Expect to see more VR full games after Alyx because of the probable install base expansion.

Venser

Erudite
Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond will be a full blown triple A VR game.

EDIT: Actually who am I kidding? It's designed so it can run on Quest so it's essentially a mobile game.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ah yes, the popular trends of in-home streaming, controller design and manufacturing, VR headsets and Linux.
The popular trends of consoles, micro transactions, lootboxes, hunting for whales and making games F2P.

The controller design didn't follow a popular trend but it was created so that they could get into the console pie through steam machines, intending to make the current library of PC game of the time playable (there were less console ports with gamepad support when Valve did this. Even games like Mass Effect were not gamepad compatible on PC. So something like the Steam Controller was a necessity to penetrate the console market with PC games). It's valve wanting to sell games through steam to a consolized market. It's as trendy as it goes, it's a move similar to when MS came with its first xbox. It tanked hard because the PC gaming audience doesn't overlap much with consoles and console gamers find gaming PCs too expensive, steam machines didn't do much to reduce cost (just removing the windows license barely does anything).
A lot of PC gamers are confused about the purpose of steam machines. It wasn't to replace your PC if you already have a gaming PC. It was to get consoletards to buy gaming PCs and have them sit under their tv with a gamepad friendly interface so that they would not need a KB and mouse to buy and install games.
In home streaming isn't trendy in itself, but the goal was also to tap into that console market (through another route, convincing people to get PCs to stream to the living room).

All of this shit is just valve attempting to expand into markets they have no control on and failing very very hard.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Very strange that they are not showing new footage after teasing it so hard.
The game comes out in March. It's currently december. By any standards, it should be practically finished and just being debugged. There is something very wrong they are not telling.

Remember how Half Life 2 was announed 3 months before release, only for a leak to prove that it was gloriously and absolutely unfinished ?

Citizen

Not much different from the touch-screen faggots either. That had and probably still has similar cases of zombies. Durr butt touchscreen muh immershun innovative gaemplay changes gaems forever. Oh wait, I guess it did. For the worse. Which is what VR will do if it really catches on.

But touchscreens/touchpads ARE better for some things, like drawing and 3d model sculpting tho

Dexter

Arcane
A more reasonable explanation might be that they were a bit overwhelmed by the response and the Index being sold out till apparently late January now is not just a brilliant diabolical plan by Valve to miss out on all those Christmas Sales by creating an artificial shortage and not have people be ready for their big game release and they might be ramping up hardware production before they start the next "hype" phase:
uvk4k526fw341.png

Dexter

Arcane
You'd think they'd ramp up production instead of delaying delivery for 3-4 months, soon probably even after the Alyx release in March.

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
Relax. Its Valve. There is a 95% chance that the game will be delayed. I'm completely serious.

According to the video by VNN posted above the reason that gameplay footage was pulled from the Game Awards at the last minute was that they haven't gotten smooth locomotion working yet and they thought there would be a backlash if all they showed was teleportation movement. Think about that for a second. The game is supposed to be coming out in three months AND YOU CAN'T RUN IN THE GAME YET. Jesus Christ. I smell multiple delays coming.

I'm always surprised by how many people that have forgotten this, but Half-Life 2 was originally supposed to come out on September 30th 2003. On September 23rd 2003 they announced that it would be delayed until the holidays. The late delay caused a fan backlash. The game eventually came out on November 16th... 2004! Valve time is a meme for a reason.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
You'd think they'd ramp up production instead of delaying delivery for 3-4 months, soon probably even after the Alyx release in March.
Creating fake scarcity to drive even more momos like you into buying useless tech.
Yes, that makes total sense. Not selling or delaying your top selling product for a whole 3-4 months during the most critical time of the year will drive all the sales.

"Hey guys, Christmas is coming up, the busiest time of year when people are buying presents and parents are buying their kids expensive Tech! How should we handle this?"
"Oh I know. We'll just display "Out of Stock" in all of the EU so that people can't order it anymore and push back the expected shipping date in most of North America to February and up to April after the Release of our new BlockBuster game! That'll help us sell more units!"

You're definitely not another fucking butthurt retard.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yes, that makes total sense. Not selling or delaying your top selling product for a whole 3-4 months during the most critical time of the year will drive all the sales.

"Hey guys, Christmas is coming up, the busiest time of year when people are buying presents and parents are buying their kids expensive Tech! How should we handle this?"
"Oh I know. We'll just display "Out of Stock" in all of the EU so that people can't order it anymore and push back the expected shipping date in most of North America to February and up to April after the Release of our new BlockBuster game! That'll help us sell more units!"

Nice, missing how you can actually still give money to Valve because you can still order it anyway.
Whether it's the case here or not, you're a fucking moron if you think "fake scarcity" and pretending that your product is so awesome that it sells in seconds is not a valid or used marketing tactic.

You're definitely not another fucking butthurt retard.

Yeah, neither are you, constantly shilling for shit products (how awesome and essential is RTX, btw?) and posting shit videos and listing shit games and ports like they're going to help your case in any way.
Also, I don't remember if you ever told me what you developed on the Oculus DK.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom