Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Deleted member 7219

She doesn't sound like Alyx. Where's my Alyx gone?

The voice actress got so old that she doesn't sound like her anymore, they got another.

The real question is, where's my SHEPARD GONE

She's 5 years younger in Alyx, so they wanted a more appropriate VO actress. They'll likely still have Merle back in future HL games.

SumDrunkGuy

VR is just a gimmick guys stop being excited about this
cope

This can be done without a VR headset. There is no reason for this game to be VR only. Yeah you'd need those special controllers for this but there's no reason this couldn't be rendered on a monitor and that's what I hate about VR. Give us a monitor option for people like me who only have one eye please.

Do you ever role play as a pirate? Like with an eyepatch and stuff?

As I predicted, that reddit leak was full of shit. Shame I had to spoil myself to find out. That bullshit leak was rancid. Also at the end, That's definitely the original Actress. I could tell something was off when she did that interview with VNN. She didn't seem all that concerned about getting recast. As a former actor myself I can tell when an actor is bullshiting for the sake of a role.

Game looks fun. I'm waiting till Wednesday when I get paid to buy it. You guys can have this thread to seethe. I have actual fun to be getting on with. Enjoy those crusty Soviet PC games of yours.

Sentinel

Arcane

As I predicted, that reddit leak was full of shit. Shame I had to spoil myself to find out. That bullshit leak was rancid. Also at the end, That's definitely the original Actress. I could tell something was off when she did that interview with VNN. She didn't seem all that concerned about getting recast. As a former actor myself I can tell when an actor is bullshiting for the sake of a role.

Game looks fun. I'm waiting till Wednesday when I get paid to buy it. You guys can have this thread to seethe. I have actual fun to be getting on with. Enjoy those crusty Soviet PC games of yours.

What do you mean "at the end"? We can barely hear Alyx talking to her dead father, only the Alyx protagonist and her (protagonist) voice is definitely not Merle's.

Sentinel

Arcane
It's not just low for a new Half-life game,
??????? what data do you base this on? the only data available shows it's the best concurrent players number of any HL game
t's middling for a big AAA game
??????? how do you seriously compare this to your normal big AAA game? are you a complete retard or something?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
??????? what data do you base this on? the only data available shows it's the best concurrent players number of any HL game

I mean what is expected for a new Half-Life game, based on the numbers recent popular games reach.

??????? how do you seriously compare this to your normal big AAA game? are you a complete retard or something?

Because the comparison shows that the high entry barrier makes less people buy the game? It's not like I said that is a big new insight or something.

Dexter

Arcane
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/Next_Gen_HP_VR_Headset/
The next generation HP Virtual Reality HMD–developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft–delivers an immersive, comfortable and compatible VR experience. It’s the new standard in VR.

https://uploadvr.com/hp-reverb-g2-teased/
HP Is Building A ‘Next Generation’ SteamVR Headset With Microsoft & Valve
David Heaney
March 23, 2020
The current HP Reverb is the company’s second PC VR headset, with high resolution LCD panels and a focus on comfort. It’s priced at $599. Its first was a cheaper model back in 2017, not significantly modified from Microsoft’s reference design.

HP hasn’t released any details or specifications on the future headset yet. The company provided this short teaser video:

In the videos the words ‘THE NEXT GENERATION’ and ‘NO COMPROMISES’ are shown. This seemingly hints at HP Reverb G2 being the first headset in a new generation of Windows MR (Microsoft’s PC VR platform which all HP VR headsets have used so far).

Windows MR headsets are already compatible with SteamVR through Microsoft’s own driver, available on Steam. So why is Valve involved in this collaboration?

HP_Microsoft_SteamVR-1024x102.png

Microsoft worked with Valve to make the first generation WMR headsets work on SteamVR. While the company tried to make its Windows Store the place for VR apps, it seems to have now shifted to endorsing Steam, even putting its own apps on Valve’s store.

HP_SteamVRHeadset_Brightened-1024x816.png

Brightening the headset from the video appears to show nearfield off-ear speakers, very similar to what the Valve Index has. This should enable high quality, accurately positioned audio in VR.

The image also shows what looks like two tracking cameras on the front. There may be extra cameras on the sides to allow for wide tracking volume, like on the design Samsung submitted to the Chinese patent office in January. If Samsung’s design becomes a product, it could be another entry in WMR’s new generation alongside Reverb G2.

This announcement hits just as Valve released its “flagship” VR game, Half-Life: Alyx, the first full entry in the series in over a decade. It’s designed to give a lot of VR fans exactly what they’ve been asking for; a full-length VR shooter with the same kind of production values you’d expect from a traditional videogame release. You can read more in our full review right here.

Valve knows that the majority of Alyx players won’t be using Index, both due to stock issues and the pricepoint of $1000. With the Reverb G2, the company may have at the very least be endorsing, or potentially even working on, a more accessible affordable. Even if it doesn’t take on Facebook’s Oculus Rift S directly at $400, it could offer a middle ground for PC gamers looking for a balance of quality and price.

We’ll bring you more information about this headset as soon as we have it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tonally the game just seems off - dialogue wise. It has this typical millennial zoomer writing. Constantly sarcastic, making lame jokes etc. Just does not fit to what they are living in and happening around them. It's the Star Wars curse. Like nothing is serious.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Because the comparison shows that the high entry barrier makes less people buy the game?
So it's not like your big AAA game at all. No point comparing them.

That difference makes it worth comparison. Because they're not so different but different in some critical aspects. So comparison informs us the effect of difference. Isn't it the point of comparison?

It's not like I want to downplay this game or something, just an observation.

Launch day peak player number: 42,858

https://steamdb.info/app/546560/graphs/

It's not just low for a new Half-life game, it's middling for a big AAA game. Well device requirements and adoption rate and all that.
Considering that's an eighth of what Destiny did the day it went free2play and made it's Steam debut, I'd say those are pretty damn good numbers.

Probably very (maybe extremely) good number for a VR game.

Sentinel

Arcane
Because the comparison shows that the high entry barrier makes less people buy the game?
So it's not like your big AAA game at all. No point comparing them.

That difference makes it worth comparison. Because they're not so different but different in some critical aspects. So comparison informs us the effect of difference. Isn't it the point of comparison?

It's not like I want to downplay this game or something, just an observation.

Launch day peak player number: 42,858

https://steamdb.info/app/546560/graphs/

It's not just low for a new Half-life game, it's middling for a big AAA game. Well device requirements and adoption rate and all that.
Considering that's an eighth of what Destiny did the day it went free2play and made it's Steam debut, I'd say those are pretty damn good numbers.

Probably very (maybe extremely) good number for a VR game.
It's like comparing the taste of water to some $1000 meal or drink. It's retarded. They have nothing in common aside from the very basic foundations. Half-Life Alyx is locked behind an entirely new platform with a low consumer base to start with. Your post was very obviously trying to downplay the game's achievements. You even say it didn't even do as well as past HL games in terms of concurrent players, when there is literally 0 evidence for that because there are no records from 2007 and back. Tell me what exactly you meant by that statement, if not to downplay Alyx?

If you want to make comparisons, use analogous situations. Compare Alyx to Boneworks or something, not whatever stupid shit you did.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
If you want to make comparisons, use analogous situations. Compare Alyx to Boneworks or something, not whatever stupid shit you did.

Point of comparing Alyx to other recent AAA games: showing VR barrier's effect
Point of comparing Alyx to other VR games: showing the effect of big budget/big IP production form the platform holder

Half-Life Alyx is locked behind an entirely new platform with a low consumer base to start with. Your post was very obviously trying to downplay the game's achievements. You even say it didn't even do as well as past HL games in terms of concurrent players, when there is literally 0 evidence for that because there are no records from 2007 and back. Tell me what exactly you meant by that statement, if not to downplay Alyx?

This is the point. I was merely saying it's lower than what is expected for a big AAA game (and a new Half-life game at that) because it's released on a new platform. I didn't say anything about Alyx's achievements in other parts. (And for the record, I personally don't want to buy VR devices for just one or two games, but think Valve making this game as the platform holder is admirable.)

Sentinel

Arcane
This is the point. I was merely saying it's lower than what is expected for a big AAA game (and a new Half-life game at that) because it's released on a new platform. I didn't say anything about Alyx's achievements in other parts. (And for the record, I personally don't want to buy VR devices for just one or two games, but think Valve making this game as the platform holder is admirable.)
No, that is what you meant to say. What you actually typed out was completely different.

Point of comparing Alyx to other recent AAA games: showing VR barrier's effect
Does this really need to be shown? It's the entire reason Alyx exists in the first place. I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread is aware of the barrier already.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Pretty impressive, not revolutionary but a good showpiece for expanding VR world.

Now to wait until the next gen PSVR to launch with VR enabled Gran Turismo and cut this experience barrier of entry by half.

Dexter

Arcane
I'm barely past the "Walking Sim" part that ends with a short train ride at the beginning and I'm already super impressed. Spent like 2 hours looking around, exploring and getting a bit into the Lore.

You begin on a terrace overlooking City 17 and the Citadel, there's ships flying around, Striders moving along in the background, flying rats (pigeons) are standing on ledges to the left of you and they'll fly away if you try to interact. People are talking and moving around below, you can bend over the hand rail and look down to see what's going on down below:
fxM3Mty.jpg
5CfQDrK.jpg

You already have the first few interactive elements around you, to your right is an old-school radio where you can pull out the antenna and use the control to change the channels, the first one is some sort of weird numbers station, there's also another that plays classical music and a third with some talking, there's some books you can pick up and look at etc. too, a bucket with a few rotten apples and just a shitload of detailed stuff lying around you can interact with like matchbooks, cola cans, bottles etc.:
IzjG6xw.jpg
yDMBIEA.jpg

Right behind the terrace inside is the window you can write shit on that was in one of the videos on the previous pages along with some holophone thing you talk with Eli on:
0K5c7v9.jpg

You will barely get around admiring the attention to detail they put into at least the first level, the texture work and almost everything is really crisp and at times eerily realistic, the parquet flooring, wodden walls and all the dirt look absolutely real when you walk around:
78VwoMg.jpg
ilVnF2x.jpg
FFDlFYD.jpg

At times you kind of wish for even more interaction than there already is, some objects are static, others you can pick up and play around with but for instance can't open or similar, but obviously there's a limit to budget and what makes sense.
m6noAfr.jpg

There are some scripted scenes where for instance a Strider walks up a wall right in front of you and damages the environment:
dhCTjUG.jpg
hk1k7tw.jpg

Lots of shit to interact with and lore to find if you look around, for instance there's a globe in the apartment that basically indicates that the good old US of A is no more and you are or there is something of interest in Russia:
DJJ8E3l.jpg
iZ7YSE9.jpg
k7jLHt0.jpg

There's also some drawn sketches about the Citadel being built and downstairs on a bench you can find a paper you can pick up with one or both hands and read about the recent events:
IIsj6GU.jpg
IpqwHRm.jpg

Lots of shit with Cyrillic writing around:
nOJAGqS.jpg
ZK4SBmj.jpg
HKBjqfa.jpg

Some of the environment looks absolutely unreal in how real they managed to make it look:
6MNP6lp.jpg
m776DU0.jpg
zYrbDwe.jpg
8slWM50.jpg
S8ZnSE0.jpg
k1OrpNC.jpg

Combine taking care of law and order:
m98jkzJ.jpg
1pa33tf.jpg

Lots of the landscape and objects look vaguely Eastern-European, you could move this antenna or parts of it around or do things like open car doors and look around:
yhAO1Od.jpg
eAoShfG.jpg
MjUxxN8.jpg
OAUx6cs.jpg
5TtEnWD.jpg
4ScF285.jpg

This is the first thing you see upon descending from the train when Level 2 starts and after you've got a gun:
Nv1qtCI.jpg
fqcwpkk.jpg

Some things I didn't like was the "Jump & Run" and how some section transitions work, jumping over large gaps seems to also hark back to teleport, some section transitions like crawling through a small hole is you standing near it and pressing a button till a UI element loads up and you appear on the other side, while you have to run forward and press the right stick down to hop on something. Also Alyx's voice is a bit annoying so far.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Game looks great visually and I am NOT saying otherwise, but it kinda just looks like Half-Life 2 through a modern graphics lens rather than something original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom