Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Nov 18, 2019.

1. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    A new game? In a new area? Do sequels/prequels usually take place in the same spot with a graphical upgrade? Not really.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Latro Arcane

Latro
    Alyx is basically EP3, HL3 won't be a retread whatsoever. Or shouldn't be, you never know with Valve.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Well it's $59.99 and came out 15 years later, so I'm not sure that holds water, but... whatevs. It looks very nice, I'm just saying I wish I were blown away by the new Half-Life visuals rather than just thinking "wow they made Half-Life 2 look amazing."

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    looks like a glorified tech demo

• Agree x 10
    • Brofist x 3
    • butthurt x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Apparently the ending confirms HL3.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. SumDrunkGuy Arbiter

SumDrunkGuy
    Hopefully it's a more reliable confirmation than HL2's confirmation because yikes...

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    There is no sprint button and smooth turning is bugged. I dont want to crawl through the levels let me run at a reasonable speed ffs. I play quake vr, i dont need a game to nanny me so i dont vomit on the floor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Venser Savant

Venser
    The money isn't an issue with Valve. They can finance anything they want from that Steam$$$

^ Top  
  9. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I saw the post-credit sequence. It doesn't say much but it has strong "Yes, we're doing this" vibes.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jenkem Magister Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    they already stated they wanted to do more games in the half life universe once alyx is released

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's very good for a VR exclusive game.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Terenty Learned

Terenty
    It looks impressive graphically, but its linear as fuck as far as i can tell(i dont have a vr). But gameplay wise is there something that is unique to vr that cant be accomplished or experienced otherwise?

And i cant see the future for vr either. Sure valve and maybe some other company can afford to make a linear game with insane attention to details, but what about vr games with more than a single room that leads to a corridor that leads to a room etc? How much would it cost? Its not feasible imo

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Venser Savant

Venser
    The cost of making a VR game shouldn't really be any higher than a normal game. The problem is making a return since not enough people have VR headsets yet. Why it shouldn't be feasible? There are open world VR games. No Man's Sky added a VR support after it's release but it's done just as good as in any native VR title. Valve didn't have to design it in a linear manner, they chose to do it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jenkem Magister Patron

Jenkem
    it's as linear as every other half life game...

alyx has an achievement called "off the rail" so it clearly is less linear than half-life 1 :smug:

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Valve has money to burn on experiments and "innovators".

From their perspective they are probably aiming for long term returns with this.

^ Top  
  16. Venser Savant

Venser

All 3 of them got motion sick from the Index and switched to Rift S, saying they were willing to sacrifice better visuals for more comfort. Hmm...first time hearing something like that. Thought you would be less prone to sickness on the Index since it has much higher refresh rate

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Maybe they were below 90fps on the higher res models.

^ Top  
  18. Terenty Learned

Terenty
    Non linear, open games with such attention to details and interactivity? Seems too resource costly. Isn't VR whole schtick is being this intimate with environments and basically simulating every aspect of it in 3d space ala Alyx? Static non interactive environments with objects glued to the ground wont cut it anymore. Maybe i'm wrong i have no experience with VR

• Agree Agree x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jenkem Magister Patron

Jenkem
    imagine getting motion sick in vr.. the manlet menace is a disgrace to the gene pool

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sheep Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sheep
    DAY AFTER RELEASE
    [​IMG]

HALF LIFE FLOPYX: SUCCESSFUL ONLY IN VIRTUAL REALITY

• Funny Funny x 6
    • retadred retadred x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. SumDrunkGuy Arbiter

SumDrunkGuy
    Jeff Gerstmann seems completely unimpressed by it. I trust that man more than any one, so it must suck.

• sheeple x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Isn't that because the MURICANS aren't awake yet?

^ Top  
  23. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    I just realized that blink movement in VR is basically like the stuttering movement in Myst and Riven, but with an unlocked camera. Return to tradition!

I don't get how Alyx is supposed to open the door for other devs to try out VR. Half Life has been around for 20+ years, has a massive fanbase, was getting a sequel that has been hyped up for 16 years; the devs are turning a big profit from the headsets AND have endless cash from Steam on top of that.. If you're in charge of $100m project, would you pivot to VR because of Alyx? I wouldn't. Valve can make money from the hardware and 100% of the money from sales (+ money from complementary demand for other HL games) + 30% cut on all the titles if this leads to a boom in demand. Everything is stacked in favour of Alyx

Interesting. Those free levels they released for index owners had all the writing in Bulgarian. Seems like they turned the setting back to Russia some way into development.

^ Top  
  24. Sheep Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sheep
    If anything it's admission of defeat of VR devs realising that there's no fucking way to make convenient control scheme for FPS games with VR.

In a decade from now the headsets we have now will still be the most advanced pieces of VR ever made, with simulator fans fighting for the ones that still work. The tech is shit, the concept is shit and thankfully Half Flop:Alyx is the final nail to the coffin of this retardation.

• Agree x 6
    • retadred x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Gaben should have canceled the VR gang (Mike Abrash) a long time ago and instead root for the AR gang (Jeri Ellsworth). But his ADD made him decide... nothing. And now we're stuck with this bullshit.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top