Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo Online...F2P...PC Only.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
...for Russia only.
The first trailer for Halo Online has been released. It looks a little something like this:

Eurogamer artice
As you can see at the 1.27 mark, there appears to be micro-transactions where you can purchase equipment with in-game currency, or purchase in-game currency with real money. As such, it seems to have adopted the contentious "pay-to-win" model.

According to a translation on Reddit, a couple of the subtitles read, "Create a unique Spartan" and "Select original weapons and armour."

ORIGINAL STORY 25/03/2014 9.10pm: Halo is getting its own free-to-play spin-off with Halo Online, a game going into closed beta this spring exclusively in Russia.

The series' current handlers at 343 Industries noted on Halo Waypoint that Halo Online is being developed with Saber Interactive (who helped on the Halo: Master Chief Collection Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary) and Russian publisher Innova Systems.

Halo Online will run on a highly modified version of the Halo 3 engine. It won't have a single-player campaign as the entire game will be set on a Spartan training facility aboard a secret UNSC space installation called Anvil.

When asked about coming to other territories, 343 said in its FAQ, "Right now our focus is on learning as much as we can from the closed beta period in Russia. Theoretically, any expansion outside of Russia would have to go through region-specific changes to address player expectations."

As far as other platforms are concerned, the developer noted that Halo Online "was built from the ground up specifically for the PC. There are no plans to bring Halo Online to the Xbox One."
Wthat the fuck am I reading?
Why Russia?
Halo - PC only?
F2P.
Ubisoft.
F2P.
:russia::russia::russia:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
54_psyduck_by_kiiroxchan-d56pyjd.png

Angthoron

Arcane
It's a closed beta, so it's not too surprising that it's being tested in Russia. One of the items they'll be testing is probably going to be the cash generation model, and testing those in US/EU usually brings out butthurt while doing the same in Korea usually ends up without any metrics because Koreans will buy anything anyway. Makes sense I guess.

Halo Online though? What.

Norfleet

Maybe Russians asked for it, which is why it's being made for Russians.

GreyViper

Prophet
Can I use my Yukos bonds to play? Still weird as hell move, Asia I would have understood.

Skrain

Barely Literate
The only thing I can imagine is a bunch of Russians paying 500 ruble funny money to throw plasma grenades, and honestly, I wouldn't care about Russians wasting money doing that to themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom