Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection now on Steam

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just played the first two levels of Halo 1 Remastered. They actually DID fix the high framerate issue, it played great. The cutscenes are still 60, but the gameplay is a wonderful locked 144. Unfortunately they did not fix the sound, which is still ass. I actually like the remastered graphics for the most part, though they're not anything super creative. Also they can be too processed and blurry at times. The HUD is higher res and smaller than Reach and less console-y looking. Combat is Halo combat, you either like it or you don't. "Heroic" is solidly challenging solo, especially since they dropped a lot of red guys everywhere which I don't think are there on normal. That pistol and sniper rifle are some classic weapons, they feel very powerful.

Anyway... happier with this one than Reach, PC port wise.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
been playing dis on PC game pass it's fun reliving my teenage memories of halo lan parties hehe

i even bought a headset to play online w/ voice chat but guess what MCC currently has a bug where if it detects certain kinds of mic it shuts off the game audio LOL

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It might run flawlessly, but there are still graphical glitches I hope they correct.

If you mean the weird dithering in cutscenes then I could see them patching it, but I don't see it at all during gameplay. If you mean the Xbox hardware specific particle effects of the original game that were never on PC, then I wouldn't hold your breath.

JDR13

Arcane
It might run flawlessly, but there are still graphical glitches I hope they correct.

If you mean the weird dithering in cutscenes then I could see them patching it, but I don't see it at all during gameplay. If you mean the Xbox hardware specific particle effects of the original game that were never on PC, then I wouldn't hold your breath.

No, there were more obvious glitches the last time I checked. Like shadows missing completely in some instances and the covenant energy shields not changing color when taking damage.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, there were more obvious glitches the last time I checked. Like shadows missing completely in some instances and the covenant energy shields not changing color when taking damage.

those aren't glitches they are just gearbox sloppy port

Nyast

Cipher
Been playing a bit of Halo: CE, mostly for nostalgia. High-end PC. I experience massive slowdowns during big fights. How is that possible ? That game is 15 years old, it should be running butter smooth; instead, the modern games have a smooth framerate and.. fucking Halo is a slide-show in combat ?!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Le fuck ? There is nothing hardware specific about Xbox, it had Pentium III CPU and Gforce 3 GPU.

I'm not super expert hardware guy, but tons of tech channels talk about the Xbox and Xbox 360 both having certain abilities at launch that PCs didn't have, mostly for particle effects and other such things. Digital Foundry talked about this recently both in their Halo video and Gears of War video. If you think they're wrong fair enough, but I trust them more than random internet commenter, no offense.

wahrk

Learned
Is anyone else getting terrible audio bugs in multiplayer? It seems to be the worst on Reach Forge maps. Eventually the audio just becomes a distorted mess of static that never goes away.

I can’t believe this a RE-release of a collection of 10 year old games and it still has this many technical issues. :argh:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is anyone else getting terrible audio bugs in multiplayer? It seems to be the worst on Reach Forge maps. Eventually the audio just becomes a distorted mess of static that never goes away.

Reach's audio is a clusterfuck. They say they're working to fix it, but I'd guess getting all the games out is a higher priority. Halo 1's audio is much better, though it still has a few minor issues.

Nito

Educated
Patron
Disappointed to see them moving on to Halo 2 already when this was a chance for them to restore the PC port of Halo CE to its original xbox standard; even though Halo 2 is supposed to be in a much better state.

Maybe they'll finally fix the sound so I can play it. Maybe. Even though every single patch says "We know there are sound issues guys we're working on it videogames are hard".

:fight:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Maybe they'll finally fix the sound so I can play it. Maybe. Even though every single patch says "We know there are sound issues guys we're working on it videogames are hard".

The sound issue is specific to Bungie's Halo 3 sound engine plugin (including OTSD & Reach). But MS said they've found a potential fix, but it isn't ready for the next flight. Maybe the one after.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I remember Halo 2 on PC being complete dogshit, not just the port but the game in general. So interested to see how it is in 2020 I guess, why not. The Halo 1 release was really great, much better than Reach, so I'm expecting the port to be good this time.

The sound issue is specific to Bungie's Halo 3 sound engine plugin (including OTSD & Reach). But MS said they've found a potential fix, but it isn't ready for the next flight. Maybe the one after.
Really? So Halo 1 shouldn't have the fucked up sound? Didn't realize that since I kept trying Reach since I'd never played it before. Interesting.

JDR13

Arcane
The original Halo 2 port was indeed shit. I remember looking forward to it since I moderately enjoyed the first game, and I was pretty disappointed.

It was already bad enough that it was tied to Windows Vista in an attempt to promote that shitty OS, but it also looked and played worse than Halo CE.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Really? So Halo 1 shouldn't have the fucked up sound? Didn't realize that since I kept trying Reach since I'd never played it before. Interesting.

Halo 1 is great in this. Silky smooth 144fps gameplay with great mouse control. Sound mix still sounds slightly off to me, but nothing like Reach. Hopefully they fix Reach when Halo 3 drops, if they use the same sound engine as said above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom