Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Halo: The Master Chief Collection now on Steam

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Kem0sabe, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Nito Educated Patron

Nito
    Tried the new release. I like it significantly better than the CE remaster so far. Much more faithful to the original, and as far as I can tell, the classic graphics aren't broken (there are some problems with sound, which is disappointing, and becoming a bit of a recurring theme). I hear there are a lot of multiplayer bugs. Haven't encountered any in the campaign yet, but early days. At least at this point most of the issues with 2: Anniversary are largely technical ones, rather than the principle of preserving the original experience like it is with CE, the bar is that low now. Broadly speaking though, can confirm, it is a functional port.

^ Top  
  2. janior Arcane

janior
    halo 1 is sorta nice... HALO2 IS DOGSHIT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

• Disagree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • No x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Dodo1610 Cipher

Dodo1610
    The final levels of Halo CE are rough tons of mindless cannon fodder sometimes armed with a fucking rocket launcher for cheap deaths, the fact that all the levels are recycled doesn't help either.:argh:
    Halo 2 is fascinating feels like completely different game aliens now have names and faces and even for some reason Cortana is flirting now with the master chief now. Also, the levels are now just corridors which are disappointing. Still, the gameplay is still fun and the remade graphics actually look good this time. No idea what happened with CE some of the new textures and object looks completely out of place while CE itself had a very nice consistent style.

^ Top  
  4. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Managed to finish Halo CE and enjoyed it more than I thought I should, but couldn't be bothered finishing Halo 2. It's too fast paced and lacks the magic of CE.

Hope Halo 3 will be better.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan

^ Top  
  6. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Digital Foundry's PC guy being so obsessed with 4k60 is really annoying when 1440p144 panels are waaaaaay more popular. He's supposed to be the PC expert but it really makes him seem like a TV gamer.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Israfael Arcane

Israfael
    Actually, H2 has an actual plot and many other things that make me wonder what even made the first game popular enough for it to start it's own franchise. It's so bland, repetitive and generally uninspired that it's hard to slog through it, especially on legendary...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    H2 has an actual plot, yes, but isn't worth paying attention to. It's just trying too hard being another Call of Duty military FPS. At least CE tried to be its own thing.

^ Top  
  9. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Halo was big, halo was fun, halo had co-op and multiplayer, halo was mostly well designed. Master Chief is a mostly quiet, faceless uber marine that can be whatever you want that kills enemies.

Halo predates the COD and the modern military fps popularity.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. baud Cipher Patron

baud
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    At the time, it was more WW2 FPS, with the first COD being released one year before Halo 2

^ Top  
  11. karoliner Magister

karoliner
    Halo 2 is awful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Dodo1610 Cipher

Dodo1610
    Wow, that Halo 2 ending has to be the worst cliffhanger ever, it's like the producer pulled the plug in the middle of a cutscene to ship the game. Overall worse than CE and Reach but still fun.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Really? I thought the Iraq war did that.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    The gearbox port developed the online code for it.

The original xbox graphics will likely never be restored and I'm actually amazed we're getting any of these games. Bungie were sloppy with the back end at the best of times, and it must be an absolute mindfuck to sift through the source of multiple games from nearly two decades ago.

Just played through all three back to back. Never played Reach and thought it was alright. The CE remake was ugly as fuck tbh. Halo 2 remake was quite pretty though, atleast at 4k with a decent HDR implementation on my OLED. Halo 2 is the second best Halo game after 3 IMO.

^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Then we never even got Halo 3 on PC. Fun stuff.

^ Top