Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well the battles were good but cards drawn are way better. I wouldnt use treachery tho as getting extra units allows for sieging more cities and we havent suffered big enough losses from siege yet to be scared of assaults.

Thus I suggest we reinforce Africa to finally get the naval superiority and use two times the card to gain extra 8 units and add them to our both operational armies. Then let Hannibal wreak havoc while Hasdrubal sieges Rome.

Gondolin

Arcane
Can't use it when a general is stationed there. My tentative plan is to move units from hannibals army to hasdrubal, move hnnibal into Umria Samnium, use a treachery card on Asculum and take it, then make camp, locking the province down finally. Then using a treachery card to give hasdrubal 4 units, and laying siege to rome

Interesting. What do we do about Placentia?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you want to use a treachery card i guess hasdrubal can take it. Not sure if worth it. When Hannibal sieges Rome that army should gets pants on fire to lift the siege there. Who is the general (his bio)?

DakaSha

Arcane
Can't use it when a general is stationed there. My tentative plan is to move units from hannibals army to hasdrubal, move hnnibal into Umria Samnium, use a treachery card on Asculum and take it, then make camp, locking the province down finally. Then using a treachery card to give hasdrubal 4 units, and laying siege to rome

Interesting. What do we do about Placentia?

Who cares?
I havent worked out everything, its to late and im tired, but Rome is the target. Placentia can suck a dick

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Has Cis-Gaul more recruits now? I guess that if that army can recruit they'll do so before attacking the siege... two three can play that game though.

DakaSha

Arcane
Has Cis-Gaul more recruits now? I guess that if that army can recruit they'll do so before attacking the siege... two three can play that game though.

Recruitment happens after turn

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That roman army in Placentia should have combined with the one in Ancona. It was dumb.

DakaSha

Arcane
That roman army in Placentia should have combined with the one in Ancona. It was dumb.

It would have been better, but its only incredibly dumb in hindsight, and with knowledge of the plays i can make. The AI doesnt knnow what cards I drew

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
What do you propose if the Placenta army tries to lift the siege in rome, what are the options (that hasn't happened yet). If they play a Rome reinforcement card, and sortie out they'll probably have numerical superiority

DakaSha

Arcane
What do you propose if the Placenta army tries to lift the siege in rome, what are the options (that hasn't happened yet).

Depends on who is commanding the Placentia garrison (I havent looked), and how many units we give hasdrubal.

Most likely hasdrubal has a much better command score and can 'deal' with a larger army (but as was seen in last turn, the high defense rating of roman troops is hard to deal with). In any case, we can break off our siege (at which point the enemy does get an extra option card).

Again i havent gone through all the planning yet but there are multiple ways of dealing with whats going on now. We are in the advantage and i want to use that fact.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You got a fucking shitload of units you could commit to taking Rome and end this for once and all. Real Hannibal pussied out and lost. Take from that what you want.

communard

Arcane
I like your original plan a lot. Give Hasdrubal enough shit to keep Rome invested and fend off whoever gets command of the army in Placentia. Meanwhile let Hannibal run wild taking minor objectives and recruiting troops allowing you to further strengthen the siege of Rome as it progresses.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have no preference. They all look good because of numerical superiority. Either keep killing off all opposing armies and recruit until you have conquered italy, or doomstack rome.

Doing both at the same time doesn't look so hot though, unless denying recruitment is such a priority.

Gondolin

Arcane
The problem is that Asculum is the only northern city where a treachery card can be used. As far as I can see, Placentia and Ancona have generals in them, while the rest of the cities are too small to be worth it.

We could also use the cards to remove the troops of Capua and Venusia, take the cities en route and storm Tarentum. Too bad there's not much to be gained by doing this.

Gondolin

Arcane
Here's my proposal for a devious plan. If you don't have to use the cards right now, you can pull the classic "Warlords 2" move and hope the AI will fall for it. Use one of the cards against Asculum, occupy it and then leave the province completely and the city undefended. The AI may, hopefully, want the city back, which means that it may decide to spread its remaining 4 (Placentia) + 3 (Ancona) troops (I assume that 1 troop of each stack is the general) to cover three cities. Depending on where the enemy generals are, use the second card to take Placentia or Ancona (whichever has more troops), then leave the province again. Rinse and repeat.

corvus

Arcane
Will Hannibal arrest the destiny of Rome with fire and sword? Or will he fail and watch his country be crushed and enslaved? THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME!

DakaSha

Arcane
Will Hannibal arrest the destiny of Rome with fire and sword? Or will he fail and watch his country be crushed and enslaved? THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME!
Lol. Lp isnt dead. Just busy right now and having a hard time deciding what to do next

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom