Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War

DakaSha

Arcane
Guys I just had a revelation (maybe). Can you recruit units when under siege or do you need a general in the field? Because from what I can tell you have to be in the field/city and not under siege. Therefore besieging Scipio eliminates the recruitment in Umbria anyway. And if we manage to lock Romans into cities we can outproduce them in the long run.

I have thought of this but the thing is that if another general comes to relieve him, then we have to face all the troops in the city as well as whatever the opposing force brings along. So if Fulvius come from Tarentum, then attacks us while we are at siege, we fight 12 units.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys I just had a revelation (maybe). Can you recruit units when under siege or do you need a general in the field? Because from what I can tell you have to be in the field/city and not under siege. Therefore besieging Scipio eliminates the recruitment in Umbria anyway. And if we manage to lock Romans into cities we can outproduce them in the long run.

I have thought of this but the thing is that if another general comes to relieve him, then we have to face all the troops in the city as well as whatever the opposing force brings along. So if Fulvius come from Tarentum, then attacks us while we are at siege, we fight 12 units.

At this point we cant count on always having superior numbers anymore. But we have the superior general and cards. Winning 8 to 12 is doable. Unless sallying a siege counts a siege battle and no general bonus there.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Well, I'm still uncertain how effective sitting in the field actually is - its main benefit is that you get to intercept any enemy movements (if I get it right), and I don't have any idea what the chance of interception is. Obviously it depends on the province and the "chance to decline a pitched battle" part - but is it roughly 25-50%, more, less?. Guess I should download the demo and find out for myself...

DakaSha

Arcane

At this point we cant count on always having superior numbers anymore. But we have the superior general and cards. Winning 8 to 12 is doable. Unless sallying a siege counts a siege battle and no general bonus there.

It's good you brought this up because I went off to read the exact mechanics.. and they see very well thought out, if aggravating (once again)
So...

When besieging a city the defender can sally out or be relieved by a friendly force. Both of these types battles follow these rules:

a) Command bonuses count (yay)
b) Hannibal cannot, however, use his punic trick cards (and we dont have any now anyways.. using my cards was one of 2 big mistakes i believe i have made this game)
c) Hannibal also can not use the 'Retreat' option of his 'Hannibal on the march' card, of which we have 2
d) When an opposing army tries to relieve a siege, you have the option to break off the siege first, so you can not be forced to fight both armies. However, the opposing force does get an option card in this case.
e) You can not retreat from a relief battle

So we could potentially pull it off. Of course besieging them would take some time. IT is a minor city though so it wouldnt be too bad. Of course any time wasted is bad for us.

I also have these cards:

So I can shift the balance of power more in our favor. The first card is whatever. Ill use it if needed. The second not only costs us a (decisive.. the best kind) senate influence, but also isnt 2 free units. They come from somewhere else. (I could get them from mago which would be the least problematic i think)

DakaSha

Arcane
Well, I'm still uncertain how effective sitting in the field actually is - its main benefit is that you get to intercept any enemy movements (if I get it right), and I don't have any idea what the chance of interception is. Obviously it depends on the province and the "chance to decline a pitched battle" part - but is it roughly 25-50%, more, less?. Guess I should download the demo and find out for myself...

I have come to the conclusion that sittign int he field is pointless. even if get them in a deadlock, they will continue gaining units (even in that province) while we get none

DakaSha

Arcane
Turn 4 – 215 BC – Action 1
“The show must go on”

After much deliberating, Hannibal decides he must take action. He decides on his red plan, taking Bruttium by storm.
The reasoning is:

Plan Orange/Yellow does nothingbut allow the enemy to recruit while we chill in the field. It relies on the enemy making a mistake. Something we cannot count on while Scipio is in charge of Rome’s largest army.

Purple is just to risky. We definitely have a chance of taking the city and killing Scipio, but then what? Sit in Corfinum with 5-8 troops, unable to do anything while the Romans continue recruiting in Rome and Apulia?

Red leaves northern Italy open but:

a) It is not very important considering its lack of recruits at the moment
b) If the enemy wants it, he must fight the militia for it. This will only weaken him.
c) Any troops sent north, will not be sent to Hannibal. Maybe, if we are lucky, they split up their forces at which point we can easily take them out one by one.
d) Taking Bruttium puts at least some pressure on the Romans, offers a fairly defensible province from which to strike at Rome or Apulia, and offers a potential two recruits a turn.

So Hannibal sets out, crossing his testicles for luck. Raddishu embraces him while they head towards the south.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile in Carthage, Himilco has finished the preparations for the liberation of Spain, and puts them into effect. He meets with his army stationed in Utica and they board the transports and head for New Carthage. There they meet with a very very hung-over Hasdrubal , gather his drunk forces, and set off for Emporion. After arrival, they begin the siege.

The navy also fulfills it’s part of the plan and moves into the Iberian Sea, off the coast of Emporion, hopefully blocking any attempt Grachuss fleeing .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in Italy, Hannibal as entered Latium Campania and destroys any Noblemans estates he comes across. Not only is it fun, but Hannibal believes it may relieve the rest of the Mediterranean of the Roman plague. He can deal with them. He is a true bro.

:troll:

However, Hannibal’s men are becoming tired and hungry. The long march from Etruria is beginning to show its effects. Hannibro, a true bro, is of course prepared. One night, after a long march, he makes his men aware of the emergency provisions that have not been made available up until now.

:kfc:

The men are pleased

Eventually the gates of Consentia draw close and Hannibal warns his men to think of the whole dick sucking fiasco a few campaign seasons back. His gaze falls on a Spaniard who is known to be a lover of cock. The Spaniard looks away.

Hannibal gives the order to storm the city and it is taken without a single loss. Hannibal promotes the Spaniard but not before a member of the ranks, known as Hubert Ray Richmond, throws a fit. He finally shuts up when fed some bullshit about an invisible sky wizard approving. He’s strange like that.

Now in control of the province of Bruttium, Hannibal lays Siege to Rhegium

And that ends this year’s Campaign season.

The Roman turn should be very interesting.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I counted 19 Roman units in Italy. Lets hope they dont combine them into a huge army. We desperately need our Iberian troops in Italy as soon as possible.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Can they even combine them all, won't that require a lot more actions than are possible in a single turn, or did I misunderstand the mechanics?

DakaSha

Arcane
Can they even combine them all, won't that require a lot more actions than are possible in a single turn, or did I misunderstand the mechanics?

They could combine them all if they wanted.
edit: Almost finished with Roman turn so you'll see what happened

DakaSha

Arcane
Turn 4 – 215 BC – Romans
“Hmm”

As the season ends, we draw our option

:rage:

God dammit. I hate this card.. we get so many. There are much more interesting cards in the game but we haven’t had much luck with them.

Anyways..

Recruitment
Hasdrubal in Spain: 1 Spanish Cav
Mago in Gaul: 1 Gallic Inf
Hannibal in Bruttium: 2 Lat Inf

The Romans start their campaign season by handing command to Fulvius, who is stationed in Tarentum, then, mid command, raising more troops in Rome.. again. However, this time it is only 1, luckily.

Meanwhile at the camp surrounding Bruttium, Hannibal receives word that Fulvius has begun maneuvers. Although it is impossible to know exactly what he is up to, Hannibal fears he may be planning to take Consentia back.

With this in mind he remembers that crazy bro that was so upset about the cocksucking Spaniard being promoted… what was his name? Well his initials were HHR. Whatever. He has the man fetched and has a chat with him.

Apparently the sky wizard story really took off. The man treats it as gospel now, and believes that homosexuals should not only be treated fairly, but that everybody has the DUTY, before what he calls ‘Bro in the sky’, to suck the cock.

Hannibal offers the man the chance to spread his faith, and gives him the provisions and horses he needs to reach Apulia with the aim of spreading this nonsense within Fulvius’ camp. It works. A unit of men are so touched by the brilliance of HHR’s words that they turn to Homosexuality. They dissert and follow their new Messiah off to some crazy place that Hannibal rather not think of.

:troll:

Because they played an option card, I am able to respond with one of my own. I played this:

Fulvius, perhaps due to the loss of his men to some strange new cult, or perhaps because it was planned all along, regarrisons his army in Rome.

The Romans now hand off command to Scipio who, as was to be expected, gathers all of the Roman forces in Umbria-Samnium in Corfinium.

He then proceeds to march into Cisalpine Gaul and storm Placentia!

The fighting starts off slow, but the first unit sent to test the scaling of the walls was run off

First Round of Combat
Romans: 0, 0
Carthage: 0, 1

However the Romans storm with all they have soon thereafter

Second Round of Combat
Romans: 4, 0
Carthage: 0, 2
Roman Victory

With that, Scipio goes for the most strategically important target in northern Italy, Genua.
The fighting starts out quite fierce, with many Romans scaling, and falling from the walls

First Round of Combat
Romans: 2, 0
Carthage: 2, 0

Knowing the strategic importance of their city, the Genuans fight hard. Alas they can not hold back the massive horde that is Scipios Army. They do manage to take another unit with them to the grave, however.

Second Round of Combat
Romans: 1, 1
Carthage: 1, 0
Roman Victory

Scipio, foaming at the mouth, orders the taking of all remaining cities of Northern Italy… and succeeds without losing a single. fucking. unit.

It is now up to Mago to keep hold of Gaul, if the Carthaginians wish to retain the Gauls trust

The Roman navy is no less aggressive and continues with its stupid balanced bullshit

The Roman fleets that were stationed in the Ionean head to Spain and we are given he chance to intercept. We decline and hope they were just here to see what’s going on GUISE…

Well no.. they were here to set our ships on fire. Who would have thought? However the early stages of combat are uneventful

First Round of Combat
Romans: 0, 0
Carthage: 0, 0

The Carthaginian sailors, still mindful of their past defeats consider fleeing but the admiral knows that this would mean leaving the Iberian Sea, and giving fuckhead McGee, aka Gracchus the ability to flee the siege of Emproion by sea. And ‘fuck that’, the admiral tells his sailors. ‘This is still an even fight dumbfucks, win a naval engagement for once!’. A couple sailors begin to cry but dutifully start doing all that weird shit that sailors do when they need to move their ships. Yelling and pointing and pulling ropes and shit, you know.

The Romans once again, try to storm through the Carthaginian fleet but the sobbing sailors were having none of it..

First Round of Combat
Romans: 1, 0
Carthage: 2, 2
Romans are Routed

:yeah:

We managed to sink 2 of their ships and lost only one. The remaining Roman fleet takes refuge in the port of Emporion, essentially becoming part of the Roman forces under siege.

Command is assigned to Gracchus but he’s to busy crying tears of megashit and skips his turn instead of trying to sally out like a real man. Piece of shit.

Livius on the other hand, having been assigned a command and currently under siege in Rhegium, decides to get the hell out of dodge. He and his army board a getaway fleet at night and head up into the Adriatic and land in Umbria-Samnium

He then takes up garrison in Ancona and the Romans end their campaign phase

Roman Recruitment

Rome: 1 Lat Inf, 1 Rom Inf, 1 Squadron
Genua: 1 Lat Inf
Asculum: 1 Lat Inf
Ancona: 1 Lat Inf

Roman Elections

Situation

Not sure what to think. It was to be expected that they do some attacking and maybe even take all of northern Italy, but I was hoping for more losses on their part. Genua falling into their hands sucks of course.

On the other hand, southern Italy belongs to us, at least for a turn or so. We also finally won a fleet engagement. Small victory but it helps. I have no idea what happens to the fleets in port if the city is taken. I do know the fleets can try to attack us or slip by though.

Overall I think I made the wrong decision, but time will tell.

DakaSha

Arcane
So far I believe I have made 3 large errors

a) Using up hannibals trick cards
b) Last turn possibly
c) Not attacking the units stationed in Utica back in the second year, even if we had lost a lot of men, we wouldnt have had the situation in Spain.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That was to be expected, uncontested Roman army given free hand in northern Italy. Fortunately recruitment this turn was 4 for us and 5 for them so we can still handle this, it gets closer and closer. But we need a decisive battle now more than ever.

Also could you explain those option cards you keep getting? What is escape by sea, that one seems interesting... and secret mountain pass too.

DakaSha

Arcane
That was to be expected, uncontested Roman army given free hand in northern Italy. Fortunately recruitment this turn was 4 for us and 5 for them so we can still handle this, it gets closer and closer. But we need a decisive battle now more than ever.

It was to be expected but we will NEVER be able to hold everything. It just wont happen. Ever, in any game. I think holding on to things isnt the goal, but rather picking what to give up at the right time. I just expected more casualties on the roman side. They lost like what.. 3? I did look at recruitment, and we do have a small victory there. Because of what went down they dont have a general in Apulia-Calabria and missed out on troops. Also the roman recruitment pool in C Gaul is separate form ours, and is the slowest to refill in the game. They wont get troops there for long.

Also could you explain those option cards you keep getting? What is escape by sea, that one seems interesting... and secret mountain pass too.

Escape by sea allows hannibal to move himself and any generals and 3 units to another province and end his turn there. It really is an emergency escape (he dies, game is over), secret mountain pass just allows you to ignore attrition when crossing a mountain

Erebus

Arcane
I'd suggest upgrading defenses in Africa. Improving our navy would be useful for future reinforcements in Spain and Italy.

Our armies in Spain and Italy aren't under much threat right now, but I guess the next move of the Romans will either be to take back Pisa and Perusia or to crush our army in Gaul.

DakaSha

Arcane
Build more ships in Africa.

Can Hannibro reach and engage Scipio in one turn?
Funny you wrote this the exact moment i was asking myself the same thing. I think he can but wed have to either risk attrition or fight through placentia.. Which only has one militia

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Y dun fucked up. Now you have 3 roman armies running around and no way to ferry troops from spain

I guess we all missed the option to retreat from Rhesium too. Not exactly 4 star generals here.

DakaSha

Arcane
Y dun fucked up. Now you have 3 roman armies running around and no way to ferry troops from spain

I guess we all missed the option to retreat from Rhesium too. Not exactly 4 star generals here.

Stop editing your post. And i knew about the retreat option. I wasnt my goal to kill the army but to get 3 troops per turn in bruttium.

Overall things look bad, but i think the large amount of red on the map, and being used to blobs equating wins in other games, does distort the situation. Def have to play the next turns correctly though

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you storm the city wiill you be able to get recruitment before chasing Scipio? If you want to do that anyway.

Gondolin

Arcane
Funny you wrote this the exact moment i was asking myself the same thing. I think he can but wed have to either risk attrition or fight through placentia.. Which only has one militia

Fight through Placentia and get Scipio. If we can eliminate his army, then the situation is not that bad.

Also: DO IT, FAGGOT HHR!

Gondolin

Arcane
Oh, and I think that we should try to take Emporion now. If we can fuck up the Roman fleet in the region, then we could move troops to Italy by sea. We need that army to be available, should the Senate ever agree to reinforce Italy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom