Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard West - tactical turn based + wild west setting

phtmyr

Cipher
Congratulations on release Kacper Szymczak! Good luck with sales.

Disclaimer: I'm playing on Hard with Combat Injuries and completed only 2.61 chapters. Haven't tried out other difficulties.

Some questions and feedback:

Is there a way to choose which square you want to end up at when interacting with an object? It's kind of annoying that when my character insists on taking cover on the wrong side of the table or sometimes you lose movement when picking up an object. It's bad not being able to use your AP efficiently when moving.

Luck mechanic is amazing, it really defines how combat is carried out. But I think game needs some card abilities to fully utilize this system.

• Detect luck of an enemy. Maybe this is a personal thing but I think this ability should've already been in the game. This ability would allow you to fine tune plays like shooting a 2 Health 75 Luck enemy with 40% CtH for 1 damage to reduce their luck below 40 and then finish them of with a 40% CtH 2 damage shot. This ability would also open the way up for variety of other abilities.
  • Trade off CtH for full damage to cover; an ability revolving around luck mechanic to get most out of a surefire hit. I would prefer having more of this kind of fiddly abilities instead of huge impact stuff like Equalization. Being able to trade off damage for CtH would be nice as well but two shot weapons and scoped weapons provide this utility.
  • Use ~60 (This should also be the cost of Golden Bullet if not higher.) luck to get a movement AP. This can be used effectively same as Golden Bullet; get free shot and move back to cover. Also it would allow aggressive movement since you have an insurance if you spend all your movement and end up in a vulnerable spot. Currently you either proceed with a single AP and preserve the other in case you face an enemy. Or risk getting a full damage hit which usually kills you. Maybe having no APs would be required to use this ability to prevent broken combos.

Jinx is my favorite card in the game since it changes how you play in a simple way. But I'd like it even more if there was a trade off: Your misses don't reduce enemy luck. But it would make an encounter impossible if you go in with a single Jinx character. Since you can't quit a mission and re-prepare I guess this won't happen. I personally would've preferred having access to character screen after restart. Difficulty adjusted accordingly. I think this is already mentioned in the thread. End mission of As Good as Dead was a joke due to extensive preparation, didn't dip below full health (19 hp) for longer than a turn.

I really like the presentation of the game, everything is so slick. Character portraits, items, cards, interface, narration, writing and so on. It's clear you guys are really good at managing your resources. So many games with shit voice acting with fully voiced text that's written terribly. unappealing menus and inconvenient interfaces.

Also dig the atmosphere and adventure map game play.

Cards are a bit too strong I think. But it might be early to speak about this.

You're always heavily outnumbered, and simple shot exchange results in a game over screen.
This isn't the case due to having access to regeneration while most your enemies don't.

Cover not only reduces CtH, but often (depends on the weapon) also drastically reduces damage. Flanking not only is better, but actually substantial.

Obviously everyone will jump on the opportunity to flank from full cover, but otherwise flanking leaves you out in the open which is a death sentence.

Sorry for diving straight into suggestions and theory crafting it's just my way of having fun. Hopefully you can salvage something useful. I'm enjoying the game a lot overall would be happy to see an expansion or two.

It would be cool if enemies talked in combat like in Fallout with over head text. Don't be a fool marshal!

ArchAngel

Arcane
DId the patch appear on GoG? I only have 3 part full installation in my gog library (which is strange because when I installed it few days ago the installation was only 2 parts).
so?
Don't tell my you are all Steamtards here?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
The semi-final chapter seems like a lite-teaser about how a more free-form version of the game could work. (emphasis, lite)

I'm really disappointed how Inquisitor/Cassandra story ends. It is abrupt, lacks closure and in the end - seems totally unrelated to Warren/Caretaker plot. Which hits even harder considering Cassandra's scenario is pretty interesting.

anus_pounder

Arcane
The semi-final chapter seems like a lite-teaser about how a more free-form version of the game could work. (emphasis, lite)

I'm really disappointed how Inquisitor/Cassandra story ends. It is abrupt, lacks closure and in the end - seems totally unrelated to Warren/Caretaker plot. Which hits even harder considering Cassandra's scenario is pretty interesting.

Agreed. Cassandra's in particular is pretty jarring. Do X, one line from narrator, get thrown into the main menu. 'k

ArchAngel

Arcane

Agreed. Cassandra's in particular is pretty jarring. Do X, one line from narrator, get thrown into the main menu. 'k
You should report that on Steam forums. They seem to be reading them a lot and making changes based on feedback there. Since release none of the devs posted here but on Steam forums they post all the time.

HotSnack

Cipher
Ignore the praise and positive reception from niche crowds that your game is obviously catered for. Instead make changes based on feedback from hopeless cesspools like the steam forums. It really is blackguards all over again.

Lucky

Arcane
Update 1.1 is out, with update 1.2 scheduled to be out later this week. I'm guessing the GOG version hasn't been updated yet, because they always have to run them through their system.

- Fixed AI behavior in evaluating flanking movement and range.
- Decreased point-blank range to 4, increased AI avoidance area around player characters to 5 (reaction shot range +1).
- AI now will not move directly into the point-blank range of players also when out of combat (like roaming).
- Fixed a glitch in AI movement rules which would bring it into point-blank attack range.
- Minor pathfinding fix for specific tactical situations.
- Adjusted difficulty during the optional Mexican Town fight (As Good As Dead scenario)
- Adjusting the mining/prospecting mechanic for difficulty and clarity (will take effect upon scenario restart).
- Fixed credits display issue.
- Friday restored.
- Preparing ground foe UI fixes for resolutions above Full HD in 1.2 patch.
- Addressed the issue of characters shooting through the floor in certain cases.
- Fixed target selection with LMB on targets which are 'sensed' and in field of fire.
- Fixed no fade-in when returning to the strategic in the first scenario.

Can anyone playing the Steam version tell what the new difficulty is like? I'm particularly interested in whether that optional fight is easier or harder now.

HotSnack

Cipher
So I finally cleared the game:

• Ending seems rather abrupt. I'm not sure if there's more to it if you get the get all the possible endings maybe.
  • Out of all the chapter specific gimmicks, "In Gold We Trust" and "Graveyard Shift" felt like it had the most potential, with its resource management minigames. Wouldn't mind seeing a sandbox type sequel with these ideas fleshed out.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I still don't have the update on GoG. I can only full download 1413 version.

Mazisky

Magister
Do you suggest purchasing the game? I read lot of complains about unispired graphics. (don't need triple A engine, PoE or Xcom2012 were acceptable for me)

Cadmus

Arcane
you know you can look at screenshots and watch videos and see the graphics for yourself right

It's not the same thing, you have a different feeling when you actually play a game, you know, different environments, little details, etc.
I thought it looked like shit from screens and early videos but now that I'm playing it I think the art direction is tight as a 12 year old's anus. It's also interesting and not cartoony at all, at least not in the usual indie cartoony way. Technically I also think it's totally fine, not a AAA gfx but polished. Great atmosphere, too, which is something you can't tell from any of the PR material.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the graphics, who the fuck complained? For a TBS game they are really good and with a certain "vibe" that fits the game.
I mean for someone to complain about graphics in this game, he probably shouldn't be playing it anyway

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lets put it like this, if WL2 graphics and art style is made by a 12 year old, hard west when compared is made by Picasso

ArchAngel

Arcane
DId the patch appear on GoG? I only have 3 part full installation in my gog library (which is strange because when I installed it few days ago the installation was only 2 parts).
so?
Don't tell my you are all Steamtards here?

I don't buy on gog anymore because of stuff like this.
It is getting irritating now, this morning patch was still not on GoG while Steam got it like 12 hours ago...

Gord

Arcane
GOG is almost always at least a day or two late with their patches.
With Steam, the devs can upload the patch themselves, so it's available once it's ready.
With GOG the patch is checked (by GOG) and put into that special GOG installer. That takes a little while.
On the upside, GOG patches are usually smaller than Steam patches.
Still, for new releases GOG is not necessarily the best option.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I'm in between scenarios so I said fuck it, let GOG Galaxy take a crack at this shit...and now it's downloading 10 GB. The game directory only has 5GB. I'm getting too old for this shit...

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I'm in between scenarios so I said fuck it, let GOG Galaxy take a crack at this shit...and now it's downloading 10 GB. The game directory only has 5GB. I'm getting too old for this shit...
Worst part is that it is not the patch.
http://af.gog.com/forum/hard_west/i...t_updated_to_the_proper_version?as=1649904300

Hi all,

When we released Hard West on Windows 64-bit first, we released an earlier version (one version earlier than the final game, to be exact) of the game both via GOG Galaxy and our offline installers. What this means is that some of you may have experienced some issues with the game that were already fixed in the proper version.

We've since updated the game both via GOG Galaxy and the offline installers. What this means is that if you've already started a game and have completed a couple campaigns then updatting the game will set you one campaign back. For example, you finished one of Warren's campaigns and you've started playing the Undertaker campaign then updating the game will set you back to the beginning of the beginning of the Undertaker campaign, i.e. you'll need to start the Undertaker campaign over again.

As for our offline users, please make sure you have the following installer version in order to make sure you have the latest version of the game:

setup_hard_west_2.1.0.4.exe
setup_hard_west_2.1.0.4-1.bin
setup_hard_west_2.1.0.4-2.bin

We deeply apologize for this inconvenience.
Post edited 2 days ago by JudasIscariot

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Worst part is that it is not the patch.
http://af.gog.com/forum/hard_west/i...t_updated_to_the_proper_version?as=1649904300

Hi all,

When we released Hard West on Windows 64-bit first, we released an earlier version (one version earlier than the final game, to be exact) of the game both via GOG Galaxy and our offline installers. What this means is that some of you may have experienced some issues with the game that were already fixed in the proper version.

We've since updated the game both via GOG Galaxy and the offline installers. What this means is that if you've already started a game and have completed a couple campaigns then updatting the game will set you one campaign back. For example, you finished one of Warren's campaigns and you've started playing the Undertaker campaign then updating the game will set you back to the beginning of the beginning of the Undertaker campaign, i.e. you'll need to start the Undertaker campaign over again.

As for our offline users, please make sure you have the following installer version in order to make sure you have the latest version of the game:

setup_hard_west_2.1.0.4.exe
setup_hard_west_2.1.0.4-1.bin
setup_hard_west_2.1.0.4-2.bin

We deeply apologize for this inconvenience.
Post edited 2 days ago by JudasIscariot
It is not that patch but it still a improved version of the game since what they gave us originally was some early access version lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Andre

Arcane
I suggested more than once on their forums to just put up the raw build/files from the developer and let us use it at our own risk until their precious installer is done. But nope. And if a patch comes up on Thursday or Friday, enjoy waiting on it for a week 'cause potatoes don't work on weekends. If I was smarter I'd just use Steam, but I'm not...

buzz

Arcane
Steam is like the YouTube of online video game distributors. An obscene website where they pull one stupid shit after the other at the expense of their users and customers, but which thrives simply because the competition is incredibly stupid and incompetent. They could probably put actual viruses in their games and still get away with it because of how pathetic the alternatives are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom