Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Harebrained Schemes are making a horror-themed game

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by almondblight, Dec 28, 2019.

1. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Redemption is party-based and RTwP :troll:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    As long as there isn't a fucking a procgen mercenary sim in it.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Mark Richard Arcane

Mark Richard
    I would rather spoon my eyeballs out over breakfast and gobble them down with the cornflakes than give another penny to this company. Yes, Dragonfall was great. It was also six years ago. Their latest release defies explanation. Battletech's design is so nonsensical and utterly deranged that it threatens to break down your sanity and leave you a gibbering husk.

Huh, maybe Harebrained Schemes would be a good fit for horror after all.

• Brofist x 5
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Edgy x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    you come to a realm of urban fantasy

and dares to request some more medieval fantasy in yer plate

you are hereby dismissed soldier

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. V_K Arcane

V_K
    He just wants him some elven butt.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    There were urban towns in dark medieval time. I'm just saying urban fantasy can be wide construct. Misunderstood dismissed soldier reporting for duty.

Show Spoiler
    disregard the cars [​IMG]

^ Top  
  7. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Just go play Shadows over Riva. It's fantasy, it's set in a single city (fairly big by RPG standards) and the main quest involves parasitic mind-controlling worms, while the side ones - an elven vampire (too scary to have her butt though) and a mad scientist wizard tower.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    damn

you can fit almost an entire neigborhood in that forgotten realms town

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Yeah, imagine this as a small hub in Vampire the masquerade medieval fantasy game.

^ Top  
  10. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    why ask for more medieval fantasy tho

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. gestalt11 Savant

gestalt11
    Look into what all 3 of those have to do in regards to demands from China. Many things can't even be run by the actual companies inside that country and instead must be farmed out and licensed to in country companies. Just like Blizzard does not really have WoW in China, people say they do, but they just collect a licensing fee or the whole kerfuffle about Overwatch and the HK stuff some of those tweets were not from actual Blizzard.

When a sovereign state wants to fuck you, it can. Now I do not hold with the idea that one should only concentrate on the power of a sovereign state (which is mostly what classical liberals of the hobbs/locke vein do) and at some point the "private" (whatever that means) collection of power essentially does become the sovereign state and history shows a number of cases where this transition has occurred either through force of arms or mercantilist mechanics. Sovereign states are what they are because they are able to control, defend and/or destroy certain tactically important things.

If you think Google can't be replaced by a few different sovereign states in a very quick fashion you are not analyzing things correctly. It would only take a few warrants to take over certain functionality and keep em running. Most likely things would degrade once they did, but keeping google or facebook running as is would be a simple matter. Even more simple for China since they have hooks already in place in any company that is in country and all of the ones you fear are required to farm out to companies the state has hooks into.

This is not meant to minimize their power or impact but merely to show their nature versus that of sovereign states. They may, in fact, have just as much or more power overall, but they are interwoven, can't really stand on their own and have key vulnerabilities

Shadowrun is actually not a stupid setting. They realize this to some degree. All of the corporations in Shadowrun have a military and espionage wing and they are major sections of each corporation. Indeed this whole idea is one of the major corner stones of why there are shadowrunner for the players to portray. This is a smart creation by the original designers. My only contention is that sovereign states would immediately kill or imprison everyone involved with a corporation trying to do such a thing. The designers of Shadowrun would say this didn't happen during the massive chaos and tumult of the emergence of magic and not being an autisitic douchebag I would say "Ok well that has some plausibility then and it makes a cool setting so I'll go with it." The tumult of Shadowrun not only occupied the sovereign states with nuclear level threats like Dragons, but also forced various corporations to develop their own armies just to defend what they had. So it provided a plausible reason for a corporation to rapidly arm and simultaneously explained how the sovereigns were too occupied to kill them all.

Now compare this to the shallow stupidity of The Outer Worlds.

• Brofist x 4
    • rolleyes x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Harthwain Scholar

Harthwain
    Don't people call Shadowrun stupid because of the fusion of magic and cyberpunk? If you take the magic out, it's "just" cyberpunk.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    Sovereign megacorporations is a dumb concept because the very thing that makes corporations possible; private property, is enforced by the State. In a sovereign corporation there would be nothing to prevent corrupt corporate management from robbing the company. The stock holders would have no power if there wasn't a government to back their claim to own part of the corporation just because they're holding a stock certificate.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Verylittlefishes Erudite Patron

Verylittlefishes
    http://www.iradvocates.org/press-re...-case-against-tech-giants-apple-alphabet-dell

[​IMG]

• Rage Rage x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Verylittlefishes Erudite Patron

Verylittlefishes
    is it the same people who called Arcanum brilliant for the fusion of magic and steampunk?

(also yes, this is stupid)

^ Top  
  16. Harthwain Scholar

Harthwain
    I wouldn't know.

The way I understand steampunk, it should be an extensive use of steam power. But most often it turns out to be "modern technology in disguise". From that standpoint the fusion of steampunk with magic seems less dramatic is much easier concept to accept as a whole. However, in Arcanum these two (magic and technology) are fighting for primacy, not co-existing and I'd argue that beings living in a fantasy universe and discovering technology (steam power) is more believable premise than the magic bleeding into the "real" world at some point in time. I mean, I get it - it's a fantasy after all, but there are always ways to make it more or less plausible.

^ Top  
  17. Verylittlefishes Erudite Patron

Verylittlefishes
    I mean, this is just ficking weird when you remove fantasy roots away from the roots (and Tolkien's elves and orcs very much had their roots, yes, sir) and put them into the steampunk/cyberpunk setting. Well, okay, you did it. What now?

^ Top  
  18. Harthwain Scholar

Harthwain
    It's less weird than you think. Classic fantasy is pretty much the medieval era plus magic. All you really need to do is look at how the humanity has transitioned from that period and went into the industrial revolution. The real question is: what do you do with the whole magic and magical creatures? How hard is magic to learn and use, compared to everything else? How hard will it be for races armed with industrial weaponry to wipe up ecosystems of magical creatures? Do gods exist and if they do, do they intervene? If the answer is yes; in what form and what scale? Etc.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sailor Woedica Savant The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    Oh this is so cool I don't know the studio but a vampire rpg made like Pillars of Eternity or whatever in that style could be really fun!

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    This is NOT going to be a Vampire game, people. Ffs. Paradox is not shortsighted enough to not see the value of using non-Vampire WoD settings. (and yes WoD has more settings than just Vampire, have you even tried just reading Wikipedia?)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. GhostCow Educated Patron

GhostCow
    Vampire and Werewolf games are already coming soon so I wonder what this could be. A game based on Mage, Wraith, or Changeling would be cool

^ Top  
  22. Sailor Woedica Savant The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    Maybe it'll be like a medieval dark ages vampire game? (I saw that setting on wikipedia)

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Dark Ages Vampire is one of the few fantasy medieval settings that I actually fully enjoy with no compromises, so I'd be down for that. Not to mention that there has only ever been 1 such game - VtM: Redemption. I'd say the medieval portion was actually better and more atmospheric than the modern nights. Either way, I'm ok with every setting besides Werewolf. Changeling is also kinda eeehh.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    All the Shadowruns are on Mac, I think you'll like 'em.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    i think the record is second post

• decline decline x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)