Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Harebrained Schemes General Discussion Thread

Will HBS stay on the path of the incline?

• Yes, it will always stay on the right side

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • For some time yes, then it will inevitably fall

Votes: 45 16.8%
  • It already started becoming a decline

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • It is alrady a decline

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • It was never an incline to begin with.

Votes: 69 25.7%
  • How the fuck could I know?

Votes: 47 17.5%
  • kingcomrade in order to make well thought answers meaningles

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

Blackstaff

Arbiter
It's not much of a scoop, and more kind of an hint, but HBS is looking for a new associate producer whom they would like to have "Familiarity with Shadowrun and BattleTech".

http://harebrained-schemes.com/careers/#job-associate-producer

So there might still be a chance to see some shadowrun news from HBS in the future.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

https://www.buzzsprout.com/164561/957883

How To Make A Harebrained Scheme - The Business of Video Games S04E02 - The Paradox Podcast

In this episode we've brought Jordan Weissman and Mitch Gitelman into the studio to talk about how these industry veterans got their starts and how they came to start Harebrained Schemes, developers of Shadowrun Returns and BattleTech.

The Paradox Podcast is a podcast about the business of video games, brought to you by Paradox Interactive. Daniel Goldberg (Marketing & Communications) and Shams Jorjani (Business Development and Acquisitions) tries to shed a light on a part of the industry which is seldomly spoken of.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://hbsstudios.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=35

Lead Writer/Narrative Designer
Design – Kirkland, Washington

Harebrained Schemes seeks an experienced game writer for a new project! We’re looking for someone who can sketch characters quickly with screenplay efficiency, has a good ear for dialogue, and the ability to write bon mots that are both witty and reveal subtext.

This is a full-time, onsite position in our Kirkland WA studio.

What You'll Do
  • Collaborate with the project’s Game Director and design team in order to design and deliver concise, engaging game dialogue and writing.

• Collaborate with the Game Director, art team and audio team to create gripping stories that draw the player into the game world.

• Bring characters to life and make them memorable with short bursts of dialogue, designed to effectively convey context and attitude.

• Tell impactful, character-driven stories.

• Write additional in-game material such as briefings, found narrative items, and background descriptions.
Required XP
  • 5 or more years professional writing experience in games, film, or comics - including at least one released commercial project as a writer or narrative designer. You MUST include a link to your released commercial project as part of your application to be considered for this role.

• Outstanding talent for crafting snappy, engaging dialogue. Character conversations flow quickly with good diction and grammar.

• Ability to conceive of interesting situations and character motivations as context for game play and combat.

• Ability to craft nonlinear narrative experiences, and an understanding of the differences between nonlinear storytelling and the linear storytelling found in scripts and novels.

• Attention to detail - high accuracy with grammar, spelling, and punctuation is critical.

• Able to match writing style and tone to the needs of a project.

• Strong creative collaboration and communication skills - game writing takes iteration.

• High-energy, self-motivated, flexible-thinker.
Bonus XP

• Prior experience writing for video games.

Coincise, short bursts, snappy. Does not sound like a Shadowrun RPG.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
"the ability to write bon mots that are both witty and reveal subtext"

I see where this is going.

Bohr

Arcane
Ha, forgot there was an HBS general thread.

Concise, short bursts, snappy
On the bright side, that rules McComb out I guess. But "short bursts of dialogue", "briefings" etc do make it sound like something with basic RPG elements at best.

Codex Year of the Donut
How many trannies do they have? If I go by that picture, I'd guess 3.
At least 2.
The thing in the front is obviously a man.
The thing in the back on the right is another man.
The thing on the other side of the blonde woman is a maybe.
I'm pretty sure the Hutt on the far-left is just fat and ugly, but not a man.

Bohr

Arcane
I'm pretty sure the Hutt on the far-left is just fat and ugly, but not a man.
Isn't that Kevin Kiva?

Anyway, I think the person on the far right might be their 'senior engineer', who apparently worked on Ultima VI, while still Stephen Beeman
https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,23380/

Dw0ueHge_o.png

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I really wish Harebrained Schemes could figure out how to make Unity perform well. I've played (and enjoyed) four different Unity games they have released and they all run like absolute dogs. Why does it take minutes to load 3d characters on top of prerendered 2d scenes in SR:HK? The advantage of using a popular technique from the late 90s is that it should at least be quick...

almondblight

Arcane
Best way to find out what HBS is working on is to look at their careers page. Excerpts from some of the positions:

Art Director:
Harebrained Schemes is looking for an experienced, versatile Art Director to work on an unannounced horror project.
Comfort and familiarity using technical game development tools such as source control and Unity.

Game Designer - Mission Design:
Implementation of interesting mission and objective ideas that allow the player to approach situations with a wide range of possible strategies within the game’s existing systems.
Familiarity with the gameplay and structure of turn-based CRPG games or tactical strategy games.
Shipped at least one strategy or tactical-combat game.
Tabletop game design experience.

Game Designer - Systems Design:
Collaborate with the game director, department leads, and team members of all disciplines to design, implement, evaluate, and iterate on single-player game systems for an unannounced title.

Lead Game Designer:
Lead and manage a design team of 5-10 designers on an unannounced new horror-themed game

Narrative Designer Writer:
design nonlinear stories with an eye for replayability and player agency
Create gripping stories that empower players to guide and impact the game narrative, with an eye toward replayability and recombination.
Write additional in-game material such as letters, journals, briefings, other collectible lore objects and UI text.
Ability to craft nonlinear narrative experiences, and an understanding of the particular anatomy of nonlinear storytelling.

So they seem to be staffing up for a horror RPG. Not sure how many teams they have, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom