Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has your opinion of Obsidian changed after Avellone’s revelations and Deadfire?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Cael

Arcane
I wish you are dead. That really hurt you? Really?

You. Fucking. CUCK! Go to your safespace and die there of starvation, you millenial, SJW, professional offense taking shiteater.
You clearly are disrespectful to me. Thus proving my point right.
I have no respect for SJWs, so it is in no way adding to your hurt.

However, since if only wishing you dead is enough to hurt you, my spew about you being the lowest form of life that is possible to exist coupled with a few other things should have made you spontaneously combust, dissolve in acid, die of acute cyanide poisoning and be bitten by a million blue ring octopii. As you are still posting, it is proof that your claim of hurt is as fake as your offense taking. Which is, of course, typical of the SJW ilk.
How the fuck did you end up with the conclusion that Jacob is a fucking sjw???? Your standard for SJW seems to be getting pretty low mate.
If it takes offense like one, it can run, but it can't hide. Seriously, he equates wishing someone dead as being the same as stabbing him to death. That doesn't scream SJW offense taking to you?

Whine about safe space when you have 25 members on your ignore list including me whom you had a breakdown to in pm so I would stop 'trolling' you.

Talk about hypocrite
Talk about a liar. You couldn't send me a PM even if you wanted to. I disabled that feature in 2017 when I disabled anyone being able to post on my profile. I certainly do not need to send a PM to a lying piece of trash like you who makes stuff up to advance his argument, which is the reason why you are on the ignore list.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'm low effort all 'round. Anyone who insults Thief needs their eyes pecked out by crows, though.
Here it begins at the start of page 6,enjoy the read. There is something special to see a retard go full mental.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/i-want-to-enjoy-thief-but-i-cant.119709/page-6
I thought that was expert trolling until JarlFrank said he PMed him. :lol:

Edit: Wait or was that trolling

Edit 2: I dunno man he's name-dropping some quite specific games that the Codexer tend to favorite. If he's serious then it's some pretty good unintentional trolling.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I wish you are dead. That really hurt you? Really?

You. Fucking. CUCK! Go to your safespace and die there of starvation, you millenial, SJW, professional offense taking shiteater.
You clearly are disrespectful to me. Thus proving my point right.
I have no respect for SJWs, so it is in no way adding to your hurt.

However, since if only wishing you dead is enough to hurt you, my spew about you being the lowest form of life that is possible to exist coupled with a few other things should have made you spontaneously combust, dissolve in acid, die of acute cyanide poisoning and be bitten by a million blue ring octopii. As you are still posting, it is proof that your claim of hurt is as fake as your offense taking. Which is, of course, typical of the SJW ilk.
How the fuck did you end up with the conclusion that Jacob is a fucking sjw???? Your standard for SJW seems to be getting pretty low mate.
If it takes offense like one, it can run, but it can't hide. Seriously, he equates wishing someone dead as being the same as stabbing him to death. That doesn't scream SJW offense taking to you?

Whine about safe space when you have 25 members on your ignore list including me whom you had a breakdown to in pm so I would stop 'trolling' you.

Talk about hypocrite
Talk about a liar. You couldn't send me a PM even if you wanted to. I disabled that feature in 2017 when I disabled anyone being able to post on my profile. I certainly do not need to send a PM to a lying piece of trash like you who makes stuff up to advance his argument, which is the reason why you are on the ignore list.

You pmed me, I didn't pm you. You were begging me to stop trolling and arguing with you over some stupid Ultima 7 inventory aspie shit.

Either way, you're literally one of the most retarded retards posters that's ever graced these forums lol.

RepHope

Savant
I always thought upper management was incompetent, Avellone just made it official. I think there are talented people at Obsidian, but as long as Feargus is calling the shots I doubt Obsidian will ever be able to deliver.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Q: What do y'all think? How should this be settled?

Boycott Obsidian until they go bankrupt.
Well. TBH we don't have concrete evidence. Hearsay. Valid hearsay. But in terms of detective/legal work that's where the info comes out. I believe that's why Obsidian's keeping quiet. Just saying vague nothing, as saying something is again your opponent's ammo. That's also why MCA's staying vague about numbers. Moreover, if MCA were to make false specific facts, that's again grounds to libel/slander.

I think there is a good chance this was an unprofessional feud. MCA would not have joined specific people unless they were respectable (and if they are friends, of course). So I doubt it's an immorality thing as much as a ridiculous crazy-ass emotional over-reaction. And MCA never was planning to leave, I mean he kept the boat afloat several times and he constantly was doing that for Obsidian.

I guess this is yet another one of those messages about emotions clouding judgment.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Can anyone sum up what Mangoose has been writing all those lengthy A4 pages about for the last days? Like a nice tldr. Just curious. And preferably from other threads where he also does this. I'm guessing it's mostly the same stuff anyway?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My opinion of Obsidian has changed, but it has nothing to do with the drama. I always anticipated their games because I expected good writing and solid stories. Then, good employees started leaving and the replacements haven't been able to live up to the skill of their predecessors. I knew, for example, that I wouldn't care much for Deadfire's writing. It was fun playing, but the one thing that I really like about Obsidian games was lacking. Pillars of Eternity didn't excel in that area either, still better than Deadfire in that regard.

I don't know what to expect of Outer Worlds. I am mildly hyped thanks to the two leads of the game, but expectations are in check.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm low effort all 'round. Anyone who insults Thief needs their eyes pecked out by crows, though.
Here it begins at the start of page 6,enjoy the read. There is something special to see a retard go full mental.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/i-want-to-enjoy-thief-but-i-cant.119709/page-6
I thought that was expert trolling until JarlFrank said he PMed him. :lol:

Edit: Wait or was that trolling

Edit 2: I dunno man he's name-dropping some quite specific games that the Codexer tend to favorite. If he's serious then it's some pretty good unintentional trolling.
Nah he was pretty legit,he was loosing his mind,it was great thread to spam F5 :lol:.

I'm now extremely skeptical of Obsidian. Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are still great. Avellone's Q&A made me like Josh Sawyer more---he seemed naturally untrustable in his cold speech patterns and strange history (web developer to design director). But I think he's at least 90% good dude now. I've always thought Urquhart is a bad dude. Sadly I think his looks help perpetuate that persona. One thing I can say in his defense, is that in an interview, he openly admitted to lying and how it's a serious thing that can hurt a company. I've simply never seen any CEO do that casually, without media pressure to do so. And despite all of the cancellations, Obsidian is still around. I do think he is not the best CEO Obsidian deserves, but I don't know if there are better ones (honestly I prefer Brian Fargo imho. Maybe Vince D Weller.). Tim & Leo already tried and failed. I also think it's likely that all of higher management is extremely bad for the company. B. Adler (sorry dude) seems like he might be a diet version of Urquhart, and the idea of bad management hiring new similar bad managers is scary. Now with Deadfire Beast of Winter DLC they went into full propaganda mode and made a video where all the co-workers talk about how great the game is and how awesome Obsidian is. It seems a lot like Hollywood, where the businesses are extremely expensive, risky, and hard to combine into a good emotional product, meanwhile the management are asshole vampires that live off of the dreams of youthful employees. Blizzard had leaders that were good at coding and refused to put out a bad product. Obsidian has nerds that fly too close to the sun and never can save or learn enough to make better wings. The producer industry is a huge limitation to Obsidian, but Avellone confirmed that management would have never attracted top talent for very long. Think about how long Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky avoided Obsidian!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
And yet somehow Boyarsky left high level position at this amazingly managed Blizzard and decided to rejoin Feargus at Obsidian.

Aim1ess

Novice
And yet somehow Boyarsky left high level position at this amazingly managed Blizzard and decided to rejoin Feargus at Obsidian.
I'm sure he loved coming in to work on a branching narrative RPG that turned into D3. Basically just cut his job. Probably the right move for that game anyway, but Blizzard wasn't the place for him. At least he got the honor of having a thorns gem named after him, such a nice token for basically blowing a decade of your career trying to find something to do working on the wrong project for your skills.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Blizzard is consistently voted one of the best companies to work for in America.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
and decided to rejoin Feargus at Obsidian.
He didn't know what he was getting into.

He worked for Feargus before and has plenty of contacts at Obsidian to reach out to and explore the situation.

Or how about we take names out of it for a second, shall we?

First guy never run any company in his life. Second guy is a career CEO with 20 years of experience and he run two companies that between them have like 15 titles in the Codex top 70, most of them at the very top.

Does not seem like the first guy's opinions about how to run a company should be taken as gospel. But hey, the second guy had his sister working the front desk reception in middle of global financial crisis, so he's basically Hitler.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Blizzard is consistently voted one of the best companies to work for in America.
For 2d artists, their salary is 40% less than in Riot Games.

To work for them is prestigious, so they don't pay very well.

Does not seem like the first guy's opinions about what is a good management should be taken as gospel.
Chris Avellone? When we dropped the names I got confused.

Anyway, that's not important. It's mankind standard that opinions matter. Example: film critics never made a movie, their opinions matter.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Leonard Boyarsky left a high salary position at the most prestigious company in the industry in order to make a game for Obsidian. I don't think he would of done that without good reason.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
For 2d artists, their salary is 40% less than in Riot Games.

To work for them is prestigious, so they don't pay very well.

Does not seem like the first guy's opinions about what is a good management should be taken as gospel.
Chris Avellone? When we dropped the names I got confused.

Anyway, that's not important. It's mankind standard that opinions matter. Example: film critics never made a movie, their opinions matter.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, bitch.

It's been what, 4 months? We have not seen a shred of evidence confirming any of Avellone's claims in the big thread. Not one.

Not a single major website has decided to run with this story. Not one.

Not a single Obsidian employee, former or current, has stepped up to confirm Avellone's revelations. Not one.

Ferstenmaker and Davis came out and flat out said that Avellone is being a drama queen.

He starts this whole "leak offensive" a week before Deadfire launch and then stops shortly after.

Do I go on?

For a website that takes pride in its ability to spot when developers sell snake oil to the audience and seeing through their bullshit, it sure as fuck seems that Codex has been at least slightly gullible during this whole ordeal.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Fenstermaker posted on the steam forums. He said his experience at Obsidian was entirely positive, and that Chris creating drama in public was hurtful.

I don't know what the exact truth is, but it was appalling watching this community treat everything Avellone said like it was gospel.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
A puzzle for you senpai.

If every observation must be processed and explained, no observation is sufficient until all observations have been made.
There are observations always to be made.
---------------------------------------------------------------
No observation is sufficient because not all observations have been made.

To prove me wrong requires observations to be made, then processed and explained.
No observation is sufficient because not all observations have been made.
----------------------------------------------------------------
You can't prove me wrong.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Boyarsky left Blizzard to stop beign a holy relic for the millennials who don’t even know what he had worked for and decided to go to Fergus who he knows and knows how to work around to do his thing... rather be the king of hell than another empty suit in Blizzard

And as some of us have stated before, regardless of any “proof” the proof is in the pudding; since New Vegas the sheer number of talent that have left Obsidian has been staggering and even if they had the know how and management skills to bring up talent to replace people like Zeitz, Gonzalez and Avellone (just to name a few) the writing and overall world building and design of their games have been less than stellar...those are facts and keep in mind I didn’t hate Pillars and enjoyed Tryanny so I am not talking out of my ass to be edgy or cool; the talent they have is not up to snuff, their writing (supposedly their strength) is from ok to plain old mediocre, quality of their games is not good and their relationship with publishers is definetly not something to be proud of either

Those are FACTS regardless of Avellone’s claims or Fergus fucking his sister on the ass or whatever else... their products are not up to snuff and the “last bastion of true RPG gaming” bubble has finally bust

Hell I daresay that Larian and even InXile have much better prospects than Obsidian; after the EE version of Divinity Original Sin 2 Swen will have carte blanche to do almost anything he wants without having to turn to a single publisher and InXile did screw up with Torment but Bard’s Tale 4 looks good, will probably sell decently even in consoles and the future looks very interesting for Wasteland 3, while Pillars 2 is a comercial disappointment and basically the only thing Obsidian has going right now is Project Indiana which we don’t know anything about... hell it could be an MMO for all we
Know

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom