Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Ocelot

Learned
I'm still playing, I like the game, but the Witchwood expansion is perhaps the most inconsequential expansion yet - and the flavor is rather ZzzZzz as well.

So far this expansion reminds the most of One night in Karazan, in ambition, scope, theme and polish.
I like witchwood. Charge made a comeback as rush so blizz devs aren't afraid to use it, echo is an OK ability and solo adventures are fun and have custom characters this time.

curry

Arcane
I'm still playing, I like the game, but the Witchwood expansion is perhaps the most inconsequential expansion yet - and the flavor is rather ZzzZzz as well.

So far this expansion reminds the most of One night in Karazan, in ambition, scope, theme and polish.
I like witchwood. Charge made a comeback as rush so blizz devs aren't afraid to use it, echo is an OK ability and solo adventures are fun and have custom characters this time.
Rush is great because unlike Charge it doesn't allow OTK. Many of the now-nerfed Charge cards can make a comeback too.

Grubba

Arcane
Two expansions have come out since the previous post, lol ya I think this game is dying guys. I know people irl who played too, nobody has played for a year or more. Last hurrah for me was K&C, after that it got boring real fast even though I have enough dust to craft anything I want.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I was on this really heavily from the beta.

After K&C killed it for me to. What is really wrecking the game is the classic set never getting rotated, now when I see those same cards again and again I want to stab a pencil into my brain, its just so tedious. Funny that Blizzard have ignored all the lessons MTG have spent years learning, but Hearthstone is 100% aimed at new/casual players so I doubt they care about retention.

I am checking out the new expansion only cos I have a Wizbang so I get all the free decks with new cards.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I am a former player too and only occasionally play arena or with Whizzbang.

Not only do you see the same cards over and over again, but the meta always settles very quickly and everyone netdecks the same 4 or 5 decks so grinding the ladder is really boring.

The game peaked in popularity in 2017 or so and dropped off dramatically the last expansion. A lot of streamers were quitting. But with these games, usually it only takes 1 good expansion to get people back so who knows how the new expansion will play out. I have moved on and am not interested in the grind of this or any other F2P games.

I'll be goddamned. I didn't even know about Whizbang, looked him up since the two of you mentioned him. Haven't played Hearthstone in a really long-ass time but I might craft him just so I can dip a toe in.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'll be goddamned. I didn't even know about Whizbang, looked him up since the two of you mentioned him. Haven't played Hearthstone in a really long-ass time but I might craft him just so I can dip a toe in.

Fuck yeah man, best value card you will ever craft, should be good for a few more expansions to. Best part is I made it gold so I get to finally play all gold decks.

Be warned most of the pre-made decks are pretty rubbish tho.

Fuck yeah man, best value card you will ever craft, should be good for a few more expansions to. Best part is I made it gold so I get to finally play all gold decks.

Be warned most of the pre-made decks are pretty rubbish tho.
To be expected, but given the fact that I'm massively behind in my packs and highly doubt I'll feel an urge to play Hearthstone regularly again it might be fun for some casual play. And even though I've got 0 gold I've still got 50-60,000 dust in the kitty so Whizbang should be a good time.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I played a lot of HS up until around the Warsong nerf then stopped following it entirely. Tuned in for a stream yesterday out of curiosity, kripparian doing ranked play and what does he face in the 3 games I watched? face hunters twice and then a zoo lock. :nocountryforshitposters:

J1M

Arcane
I've been playing a Zul'jin hunter the last few days and it has been a lot of fun. Won a game against a quest priest a few minutes ago where he conceded after going up to 40 health 3 times with another copy in his hand. :lol: (Although that was largely due to the zombeast ability, not zuljin)

Loa paladin also looks fun, mostly because paladin has more interesting spells than some other classes. Unsure how effective it would be.

Though really, if you are reading this thread and aren't playing hearthstone you should at least install it for the single-player content from the last few expansions. It's free, and a condensed version of what is enjoyable about the game.

Grubba

Arcane
What is really wrecking the game is the classic set never getting rotated, now when I see those same cards again and again I want to stab a pencil into my brain, its just so tedious.

They're slowly changing the classic set by banishing cards to the HoF but that's just a way of dealing with the worst offenders. I'd think a more frequent and heavy-handed refresh would do wonders for the long term retention of players but apparently Blizz thinks otherwise. If they do get more aggressive with classic rotation (could you even call it "classic" anymore?), I highly doubt they'd continue to give full dust value like they do now when cards go to the HoF. Based on some of the things I've read in the past about how the HS team thinks about things, I'm sure they're terrified at the idea of doing a big core set shakeup and "players being confused" or some other bullshit.

Not only do you see the same cards over and over again, but the meta always settles very quickly and everyone netdecks the same 4 or 5 decks so grinding the ladder is really boring.

This is what killed my interest in mtg back in the day as well: netdecking. I even remember the exact tournament where it had definitely become a thing. With hearthstone, or any game now, it's woven into the player experience. It's the norm. Let some nerd solve the game by doing all the creative heavy-lifting and you can just focus on reducing the game to a tedious grind.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I play Wild and Arena exclusively now, just embrace the chaos - netdecking won't help much in Wild, the meta changes from day to day and your personal deck is just as valid as all the netdecks.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
You don't need to netdeck, that's totally your choice.

If you have fun building theme decks or whatever then do that, only difference is you'll be a lower rank..

Obviously if you want to be rank 1 epic legend mythic lord you need to stick to meta, but that's literally every online game

nice thing about hearthstone is that there are so many players that you can play at any level and matchmaking will be about equal

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Uninstalled months ago. Got tired of the bullshit two-legendaries per class and the fun decks being tied to having multiple legendaries reaching back to prior expansions. You really need to buy 200ish or so packs per expansion to be able to get (or have enough dust to craft) most solid/fun legendaries. So, fuck it. Wasn't worth my time. Game will only go downhill with most of the developers leaving like rats off a sinking ship.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I'm having fun with my homebrew oddmage deck. But then again i'm pretty casual.

Its a good smartphone game. Not more not less.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:necro:

Just out of curiosity I looked at some of the meta decks since the latest expansion launched a month or so ago... the Rogue, Hunter, and Priest decks had maybe one card in them from the new expansion. Game is going to crash hard.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Remember when they alternated between full expansions and adventures (buying which gave you a fixed set of cards so you weren't subject to lootbox/RNG)? Remember when they got rid of that in favor of more lootbox/RNG whale-inducing expansions? Remember when they tried to placate people by adding single player/adventure content into the expansions?

Well... sorry folks... now you have to PAY an additional $20/2800 gold per expansion -- on top of having to buy 100+ packs to stay viable -- for that single player content!

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
the Rogue, Hunter, and Priest decks had maybe one card in them from the new expansion. Game is going to crash hard.

I don't really play HS anymore but I think that's probably because cards from the 2017 series (ungoro/frozen/kobold) were crazy OP and the devs have been trying to bring the power level back down with the 2018 cards.. I'm sure the new stuff will be used once the 2017 cards rotate out

Eggs is eggs

Learned
In their defense, you are getting a pretty good deal in terms of content. You get the new adventure mode + 15 packs + 1 golden pack + the new legendary for 2800 gold (1st wing is free, the remaining 4 wings are 700 gold each).

The game has been crap for a while, the player base has plateaued and revenue has declined so it looks like that finally lit a fire under their ass to stop resting on their laurels and actually improve the game. They are doing balance updates more frequently and are even rotating out Genn and Baku a year early because they are ruining the game.

The main problem with constructed is the meta gets solved way too quickly and then you have the same 4-5 netdecks dominating the ladder, but it seems like they are at least attempting to remedy this, unlike before where their philosophy was "we'll let the players solve it." (spoiler alert: they never did)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In their defense, you are getting a pretty good deal in terms of content. You get the new adventure mode + 15 packs + 1 golden pack + the new legendary for 2800 gold (1st wing is free, the remaining 4 wings are 700 gold each).

Considering 2800 gold is 28 packs (the golden pack is a Classic pack) you're still paying the equivalent of $8-10 more (or 1000ish gold) for single player content. Content that was previously provided for free when they abandoned adventures. There is no value here. They are increasing the cost of the content. There is no way to spin this other than yet another attempt to eek out the last bit of cash from whales before the game goes belly up.

J1M

Arcane
Gold isn't worth money. With all the mini-events they are giving away more gold. It's still going to be very easy for people who play the game every 3 days to get that content for free.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom