Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Is there anyone still actually playing this?

Yes, .. though anecdotally, none of my friends who used to play HS are playing it today. They're all playing other CCGs. But then, that happened years ago.

I still find it entertaining and fun, but it's stupid expensive. ActiBlizzard is still living in the past, when they had the reputation and clout to ask for these kinds of prices.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I find HS stupid but funny, those mecha'tun decks that is. For all of my friends it's the same picture, they don't play it anymore, even though the powercreep trio rotates to Wild.

Zer0wing

Cipher
People are mad that we get more full-fledged expansions instead of those insanely annoying adventure things? wat
Adventure or not, they were more F2P-friendly than expansions, 4-5 legendaries vs 23 per expansion, less epics, etc. People are mad at actiblizz for providing with only three packs per wing with this one, this is only 15 packs for 2100 gold. (one wing is free)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fuck me. I have no wish to grind through some shitty afterthought single player content in order to play the game

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If the value for doing the solo content is better than just buying the packs, it's not really optional. If it's not then great, but why even have the content then

Eggs is eggs

Learned
The adventures with the wings were way better than gouging people with 3 expansions a year where 90% of the cards are crap and it costs hundreds of dollars to get every card.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Obviously because it means I have to spend less resources to play the decks I want?

I didn't really address this because the resource gain is entirely subjective, if you don't have time, then use money, if you don't have money use time.

I also didn't want to mention it, but expecting to play whatever deck you want, is a very tall order - by design. There's no meaningful difference between "being able to play all the decks I want" and "wanting every card".

Money is the fastest and you've got to pay for the solo content anyway. So how is the solo content objectively a better way of using resources? It isn't, it costs money - or time.

If the value for doing the solo content is better than just buying the packs, it's not really optional.

Yes it is optional, unless you're OCD or can't control yourself. It's entirely optional, because it nets you nothing special. Whether you play the solo content or not, you get the same cardpacks as the ones who do play it.

That means: optional. How can it be objectively better, since it too costs either time or money? It's entirely subjective.

If it's not then great, but why even have the content then

Because you're not the arbiter of content?
Because people asked for it?
Because ActiBlizz want's more things to sell?

Not sure if serious, indeed.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
They already have the content, don't care about that. Care about value being gated behind it.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
just picked this game up again and i'm having a lot of fun.. It's a nice refresher from mtga.

I'm not sure which I like better, I feel like I see more deck variety in hearthstone. The way mtga is set up, everybody's running the same 3 fucking decks and it gets really old.

I know there's obviously a 'meta' here but I think having 9 classes with distinct card sets for each does a lot to add variety. Also, the solo things are fun.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jumped back in after more than 2 years. The prices are still just as ludicrous as back in the day. Great. F2P it is then, at least for a while.

Tried the new solo mode. First 6 challenges were banal shit boring easy. The 7th one was idiotic. Dude cast something like "fill the board with random goblins" or some shit and he had like 20/20 power on the board on turn 3. I obviously lost....and so was my progress. So what's this? You gotta go through 6 boring fights everytime you wanna fight the last two ridiculous challenges? And I suppose you have to build your deck in preparation for those along the way? That's gay. I like the adventures of yore better.

Doktor Best

Arcane
just picked this game up again and i'm having a lot of fun.. It's a nice refresher from mtga.

I'm not sure which I like better, I feel like I see more deck variety in hearthstone. The way mtga is set up, everybody's running the same 3 fucking decks and it gets really old.

I know there's obviously a 'meta' here but I think having 9 classes with distinct card sets for each does a lot to add variety. Also, the solo things are fun.

Thats probably only your perception as newcomer. Netdecking is plaguing both games roughly equally simply because people are lazy and sites like hsreplay or mtggoldfish are super effective in determining high winrate playsets due to the mass data they get fed with. However, i have heard something about the matchup system of Magic Arena, which calculates your winchances against certain deck types and cuts out all the decks you either have a very high or very winrate against, so that might add to the problem of low variety.

Overall, i sometimes enjoy the simplicity and the more proactive nature of Hearthstone. Hearthstone is much more about reading your opponents hand than MTG and with the stronger mulligan and the missing manacards, i think the RNG in card draw overall is a little lighter than in MTG.

MTG is of course more complex and more strategical as you have more information about the abilities of your enemy at hand and its easier to come back when you lost the board for a while. Oh and drafting in MTG actually doesnt suck ass unlike in Hearthstone.

Hearthstone also has the advantage of having a mobile client and matches tend to play faster. Its like comparing fast food to a fine steak. Not exactly comparable.

Jumped back in after more than 2 years. The prices are still just as ludicrous as back in the day. Great. F2P it is then, at least for a while.

Tried the new solo mode. First 6 challenges were banal shit boring easy. The 7th one was idiotic. Dude cast something like "fill the board with random goblins" or some shit and he had like 20/20 power on the board on turn 3. I obviously lost....and so was my progress. So what's this? You gotta go through 6 boring fights everytime you wanna fight the last two ridiculous challenges? And I suppose you have to build your deck in preparation for those along the way? That's gay. I like the adventures of yore better.

I crafted golden Baku and Genn as well as some golden epics before the rotation. I got like 10k dust from all those hall of fame cards that rotated into wild. It always pays to check hall of fame rotation before expansion patches.

Silence priest is a pretty solid t2-3 budget deck and i think theres a budget version of tempo steal rogue also that might fit your f2p needs. I would hold off spending too much dust right now currently though.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How is the new Tavern Brawl? It used to be you get to play fixed decks, I remember it was a ton of fun. Now it seems you create your own decks. I assume everyone is playing with pimped out netdecks right? My first ticket is free but I have almost no cards except Basic and Common, it'd be a slaughter.

Btw again - what's the point of the new Solo mode? It's a pain in the ass and I read you don't even get any card rewards? What?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Tavern brawl rotates between fun brawls with wacky rules in which you can either create your own decks or you get a random deck. This week, we get some sort of constructed arena mode in which you can compete with your normal deck and you earn rewards based on your wins. As you always get atleast one card pack and some gold and the brawl will disappear in some days i would simply give it a shot with the best you have.

The solo mode from the last few expansions was gimped down because people complained about the adventure system which you had to pay money for, so now you get your free stuff upfront or in form of quest chains and the only reward for solo content is a card back or a hero skin. This will change with the upcoming solo campaign for rise of shadows though, which will cost money or gold to unlock and will reward you with rise of shadow packs, a golden classic pack and a legendary card that replaces your deck with 5 preconstructed decks. Kinda like Whizbang, which also contains a mixed bag of 16 preconstructed decks.

Personally im not a fan of those preconstructed deck cards as i like deckbuilding myself too much, but its a good bang for your buck as F2P.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
People were complaining you have to pay money for cards? In a CCG? 'k.

The new solo mode is great news for me, this "no price, no reward" system doesn't interest me in the slightest. The old mode was actually a p. decent value for money, unlike their pack pricing. 60 packs for 70 euro is far, faaar, FAAAAAAAAAR beyond utterly ridiculous.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tried the new brawl. Either only veterans are playing it, with crazy decks, or I was just unlucky. Had a solid classic control Warrior, with a good win rate yesterday, but it didn't stand a chance lol. Only one win against a cheap shit Warlock who dumped Rafam on the board on turn 7 lol.

At least the other decks I lost to looked very interesting. A tempo rogue that just rolled me over, some sort of value Shaman with cards I've never seen before and a murloc Shaman. Control Warrior can beat aggro but I just didn't draw any Brawl or Warpath womp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom