Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Anyone tried this mod, I want to play something in WW1 - Interwar period, and I wonder if it's any good.

It's called Hearts of Iron IV: The Great War: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699709023&searchtext=

use this one instead its way better https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1946557392

Some highlights:
- Actual Soviet Union tree that is separate from the original Russia tree and has its own unique mechanics
- Actual win states for Central Powers
- The war doesn't just result in a constant stalemate due to unbalanced techs like in the original TGW mod
- some of the alt-history is funny
- Germany has the ability to stab Austria in the back proper with interesting mechanics
- Austria can prevent Ferdinand's assassination which creates a new dynamic trigger for WW1 (I had a run where WW1 never happened rather it turned into a small proxy conflict between Russia and the Ottomans)
- Most of the world has unique focus trees
- Alt history Britain is completely crazy to play as

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Anyone tried this mod, I want to play something in WW1 - Interwar period, and I wonder if it's any good.

It's called Hearts of Iron IV: The Great War: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699709023&searchtext=
Yeah,i have played a few game in it a half a year ago,maybe. Back then it was pretty fun,but unfinished. Pretty historically accurate and very hard to achieve more than what happened in history. It took me a lot of tries to beat Kebab,greece,serbia and romania in the second Balkan war :smug:. The most annoying part was how the battle line don't move,which is pretty accurate :).

Ovg

Cipher
I bring to you the best mod ever for us storyfags. And non-storyfags too.
A mod that has more content for shithole countries than normal HOI or Road to 56 has for majors.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2173766180&searchtext=the+new+order
The New Order Last Days of Europe

Play it faggots, writing is better than ANY new rpg. So enjoy. If you want I can give you a list of mods I play it with.

Also a spoiler for one path for a certain country that can be nazbol or fascist as well if you go right.

This man believes the long dead Russians tsars son Alexei is still alive and in hiding, waiting to return one day like Jesus Christ. This guy wants to prepare Russia for his return so he ethnically cleansed the countries people, purge his own staff, create secret police, and gasses his own civilians when they protest. He sees and hears things like angels. Not going to spoil the juicy bits but he is by far the worse outcome for Russia. Even the Aryan Brotherhood is better by comparison.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I will make the mistake of buying it this time, for the multiplayer and for the WW1 mod mostly. I guess the AI is still garbage, but at least they've added some details and mechanics. I remember when there was no oil resource. Yet naval invasions are still conducted with convoys, which is atrocious.

So what, only Albania left on the Balkans without its own focus tree?

Still haven't tried Darkest Hour's WW1 scenario, too occupied with The Seven Years' War and a tv series I'm watching in the evenings, with a mixture of curiosity and disgust.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Raise hands whoever realizes the irony of Paradox putting an Australian in charge of a DLC centered on Ataturk's Turkey. :D

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
can't wait to see what armenian_genocide_denier_1488 thinks of the expansion pack. lookin forward to his hot steam review

AwesomeButton

Patron
If you're willing to give it a try, Darkest Hour has a WWI scenario. It plays pretty naturally, if not a carbon copy:

I tried the WWI scenario just now. My favorite scenario - play with Russia and avoid entering the war, kind of predictably leads to WWI never starting. Europe continues to reign over the world, and communism and fascism never gain traction. Everybody wins.

Comte

If you're willing to give it a try, Darkest Hour has a WWI scenario. It plays pretty naturally, if not a carbon copy:

I tried the WWI scenario just now. My favorite scenario - play with Russia and avoid entering the war, kind of predictably leads to WWI never starting. Europe continues to reign over the world, and communism and fascism never gain traction. Everybody wins.

The best timeline

AwesomeButton

Patron
First time seriously playing HOI4. Let's see if/how much they managed to polish the turd that it was at release.

First negative impression: the Russian soldiers in the 1910 scenario of The Great War Redux keep insolently replying with "slushayu" when selected. They should be whipped. The proper form of address in 1910 is "slushayu-s"!

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, are they adding anything new for the new DLC - other than three national focus trees? I have literally hundreds of hours in the game but no way I am paying for shit mods add for free and better.

AwesomeButton

Patron
AwesomeButton 1910 scenario in HoI4? Huh? Are those two separate thoughts, one about HoI4 and the other Darkest Hour?
DH only has a 1914 scenario about WWI. I was talking about the "The Great War Redux" mod for HOI4.

Paradox is having a developer weekend on Steam and I grabbed HOI4 with the meaningful part of its DLCs.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Ah, cool, enjoy. ^^ I'm actually kinda excited about the little mini-DLC they're releasing in a couple of weeks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom